PDA

View Full Version : Front license plate ticket for my kid!

toddwarren
10-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Son of a gun! My son has no speeding tickets in 2 years and the county cop sitting outside Hebron High School writes my son up for no front license plate.
139.00 or I can put one on and pay 10.00 court cost!!
I dont want a front license plate on his L and I have not had one on my Harley for 5 years and no issues.:mad:

Bird
10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
I dont want a front license plate on his L and I have not had one on my Harley for 5 years and no issues.:mad:

Then your only option is to pay the fine, but don't be surprised if that same cop get's him again...............

Bird

0'Lightning
10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Man, sorry to hear that.
Zip tie one on, pay the $10, then take it off and keep it in the cab incase it comes up again. I hear you can put it on the dash and its legal...

toddwarren
10-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I hope he was just in the mood to generate Denton County some money that day and leaves him alone here forward.

Shiner1
10-13-2009, 09:11 AM
There have been several threads relating to this very issue. Several opinions have been issued as to a plate on the dash being legal ot not. IMO it looks like chit. I'd rather have it on the bumper than thrown on the dash and looking ghetto. I got stopped less than 24 hours after picking up my truck from John for no front plate. If you don't have a front plate it's an excuse by law enforcement to stop you. What if you have been out with the wife or your friends/truck club meeting and have had a drink or two. Not neccesssarily intoxicated but now you have opened yourself up for a field sobriety test, breathalyzer, search of your vehicle....whatever the case maybe. Now having said that, I have all the respect in the world for our boys/girls in blue but they don't need any extra reasons for a traffic stop. Just my opinion. Oh BTW, I'd been after my son to put a plate the front of his car as his was on the dash.....We attached it to the bumper after he got stopped in Plano for no front plate.

gagspa
10-13-2009, 10:08 AM
I had my Mustang with a front plate and a tinted cover and I was stopped for the cover.

The Lightning has not had a front plate since it was new and have never been stopped for it, but it is the wife that is usually driving. I have the plate and the bracket in the door but no screws and hopefully that will get her out of it. If not I guess I'll put it on.

zforce77
10-13-2009, 12:05 PM
My 03 STX no plate kid driving back and forth from college in east Texas and coming down 175 he would get pulled over for not having a front plate. The police used any and all excuses to pull him over but the plate was the key factor. I didn't want to ruin the looks and put a plate on so I told him to ghetto up the windshield with it when he came cruising home. Need less to say he had too many speeding tickets and had to take the truck away a few years later as the insurance went up from $60 a month to $206 a month. He is now 25, clean record, insurance lower and I gave it back to him when I bought my 03 Lightning. Funny thing though, I never got pulled over with the truck the 4 years when I drove it. I do not have a plate on my new truck and will take the chance on that one.

Silver_2000
10-13-2009, 12:14 PM
i found no plate to be an advantage once

Was speeding through a little town south of here and got pulled over - he ticketed me for no plate and warned me on the speeding

No plate is a non moving violation so I paid the no plate TAX and smiled

MUCH better than the speeding would have been

PUMP
10-13-2009, 02:22 PM
I was stopped 1-week after I got my plates and put on only the rear one. Plano officer only gave me a warning so I put on the front plate. Have had it for 5+ years now and it no longer bothers me.

zforce77
10-13-2009, 05:55 PM
I did have an idea to put the plate under the front bumper tucked away and have it attached to something and if I got pulled over, play dumb and say I do have a plate and then go under the truck, unattach the plate and say here it is it must have been stuck. :icon_rolleyes:

WA 2 FST
10-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Todd... sorry to hear that. I don't have a front plate on any of our 5 vehicles, except the wife's. Tyler is going to be driving soon (turns 15 in 2 months), and we're not going to drill the front bumper of his L.

That stinks about Lance getting flagged for that, but pay the $139 and move on.

Ohmsby
10-13-2009, 08:58 PM
I am anti front plate. I always play the stupid confused hillbilly when pulled over for no plate on the front:

"gee officer they only put one plate on at the dealership when I bought it. Or I just passed the state inspection and no one mentioned it. Now you have me concerned. Where can I get a plate that matches the one on the back..... etc. etc"

So far it has worked but I have been accused of being smarter than I look:D

IMHO a front plate on a car that cost more than my first house is the real crime

Shiner1
10-14-2009, 08:37 AM
I am anti front plate. I always play the stupid confused hillbilly when pulled over for no plate on the front:

"gee officer they only put one plate on at the dealership when I bought it. Or I just passed the state inspection and no one mentioned it. Now you have me concerned. Where can I get a plate that matches the one on the back..... etc. etc"

So far it has worked but I have been accused of being smarter than I look:D

IMHO a front plate on a car that cost more than my first house is the real crime

:rll::rll: I should have tried that. "gee officer I just got this and the previous owner didn't have a front plate on it, but that dosen't suprise me really....He tried to out run one of your fellow officers and then used big words to try to get out of going to jail"

Ohmsby
10-14-2009, 09:09 AM
For the record I did successfully:tu: stay out of Jail that evening

boostaholic
10-14-2009, 02:50 PM
having it on the dash or wind shield is not legal... ask how i know.

i still refuse to put a plate on the front of my vehicles. bought a 09 GT for the ole lady when i was on leave, before we left the stealership i pulled the front plate off (came prepaired with a nut driver haaaa). i got 3 tickets in my first car (REALLY NICE 86 Z28 camaro) and on the 3rd one we took the city to court with the ticket. we used the corvette and viper as our defense and BAM got off the hook on the 3rd ticket. the 2 prior were dismissed b/c i taped a plate on (removed before i left the court house parking lot lol).

on the other hand if i drove a honda i would ask if i could put multiple plates on the front to hide the car :rll:

Shiner1
10-14-2009, 04:06 PM
For the record I did successfully:tu: stay out of Jail that evening

True dat..An aus_pi_cious end to the evening. :burnout:

1stlightning
10-15-2009, 12:15 PM
I have been pulled over for the no front licence plate also. I keep the plate between the seats and I tell them that I had it zip tied on the grill but it just fell off. I have not received a ticket yet. Also want to put in my two cents on the wind shield thing. I was told not to do it because if you were to get hit hard enough from behind, the plate could decapitate you. I don't know if it could, but I'm not taking a chance like that.

Ohmsby
10-15-2009, 02:06 PM
I heard that if you put dyno-mat over your cab vents that in a crash..... Oh yeah I tested that one never mind:tu:

Silver_2000
10-15-2009, 02:09 PM
I heard that if you put dyno-mat over your cab vents that in a crash..... Oh yeah I tested that one never mind:tu:
I heard you could lift a car with duct tape

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-duct-tape-car-lift.html

PUMP
10-15-2009, 06:31 PM
I have been pulled over for the no front licence plate also. I keep the plate between the seats and I tell them that I had it zip tied on the grill but it just fell off. I have not received a ticket yet. Also want to put in my two cents on the wind shield thing. I was told not to do it because if you were to get hit hard enough from behind, the plate could decapitate you. I don't know if it could, but I'm not taking a chance like that.Do the math. If you were traveling fast and ran into a solid object with enough force to make the loose plate fly backward with to decapitate you, either the airbag would deploy and protect you or you would be killed from the impact with the windshield. So a loose plate would be the least of youre worries. The world of loose things flying around (inside of and outside of your car) that can harm you is infinite. People who dream up these kind of things have way too much time on their hands.