PDA

View Full Version : Rolling power outages

Silver_2000
02-02-2011, 08:05 AM
I hope everyone is ok .. I woke to a power outage
Coldest night in 15 years and Oncor Electric is doing rolling blackouts ? Really ? The Power Grid is in such bad shape that you have to do rolling blackouts in the middle of the night ? Its no fun to wake up to the beeping of UPS batteries and no power. I was JUST about to go fire up the generator to make some coffee when the power came back on.

Ohmsby
02-02-2011, 10:24 AM
We also won a ticket to the outage. about 2hrs and then again for about thirty minutes this morning.

99WhiteBeast
02-02-2011, 10:35 AM
same deal here in Arlington- Lost power about 1:17 but not sure how long.

They probably need more juice for the deathstar

Sixpipes
02-02-2011, 10:49 AM
These "act of God" events are not much fun are they? :icon_mrgreen:

dboat
02-02-2011, 11:14 AM
We had two of the 15 minute versions before I left for the office this morning.. apparently, N Tx uses a lot less electric during the winter so they take some power stations offline.. now when we need it, they cant ramp them up fast enough.

Dana

SILVER2000SVT
02-02-2011, 12:15 PM
We had two of the 15 minute versions before I left for the office this morning.. apparently, N Tx uses a lot less electric during the winter so they take some power stations offline.. now when we need it, they cant ramp them up fast enough.

Dana

I think it has more to do with the grid rather than the ability to generate power.

Shiner1
02-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Add Lewisville to the list of winners! Mine was out from 3:30ish to almost 9am.

98Cobra
02-02-2011, 03:28 PM
we have a major situation developing at our Plano data center because of this. We are scrambling to shut down all non-essential systems. There is a growing concern that the outages will get worse tonight.

Moonshine
02-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Despite the news reports that police and fire stations would not be affected, we were without power at the station from 6:50 AM straight through to 2:20 PM. The service center guys had to refuel the generator several times, but it only powers essential systems, so most of the station was dark and computerless. Shockingly, the power at the compound hasn't gone out at all.

Silver_2000
02-02-2011, 05:25 PM
power has been on here for 4 hours 5 min

I stopped by costco to get a 1000va UPS to replace the current refurbed one Im using for the PC. The old one will go to power other essential stuff... Lets see the sonic toothbrush maybe ? or maybe Ill reroute the cable for the Garage door opener ... The possibilities are endless

zforce77
02-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Power was out for 45 minutes then back on. Then went out for 6 hours because of the same old fuse on the corner. Had frozen pipes in the kitchen so had to rip some rock out in the laundry room to get to them. Had to worm them up to get the flow going. Had a breeze of about 15 MPH blowing over the pipes from the shitty way this guy built the house in 69. Fixing the problem and all is well as of now. Glad my pipes are copper and run under the slab. Ditto Steve on the power for the deathstar, gaurentee they didn't have any rolling black outs.