PDA

View Full Version : Need advice... truck got dinged

WA 2 FST
05-19-2011, 08:59 AM
So my son's L (formerly mine, for those who know the story) got hit last night. He's been driving for 6 months... no issues. He is doing really well according to various reports I get (good to have friends who know what he drives and happen to be following him occasionally).

Anyway, so last night he's in the church parking lot...parked. A lady backs out and hits him. She left a note with her contact info. His response was "how do you hit a parked car?" I told him to be careful what he says...might come back to bite him someday. He was thankful she left a note.

I didn't take pictures, but it is not bad. There is no body damage to speak of. She grazed the driver's side rear fender, just in front of the taillight (didn't damage the tailight). There is one scratch that is through the paint... its very noticeable, since it is even in height with the taillight lens. It's about 2" long. The rest of the surface scratches (which I tried to buff out with some 3M Scratch Remover...looks better, but not a pro job obviously) can probably be removed by a trained pro. Definitely into the clearcoat, but wet-sanding would probably get rid of them. The plastic "step" cover at the rear just in front of the bumper was also rubbed very slightly.

Honestly... he is ticked off. I would be too, and I had to explain that it can (and will) be fixed. She has USAA insurance. I'm sure they'll take care of us. I'm glad he cares enough.

Anyway... what I need help on is this... do we really want to have the entire driver's side of the bed repainted? I think that's the only way to do it right. I don't see how you can spray just one small area. Will this devalue it more than if we just use touch up paint on the area, and I have a professional detailer take care of the rest (my son and I can drop the bumper and replace the step cover ourselves)? I want to get it fixed for him, but it has to be done right. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to just have a detailer take care of it as much as possible and then just use touch-up on the 2" scratch.

I guess nothing can be decided until we get the ok from USAA to get an estimate on the damage.

Showtime
05-19-2011, 10:42 AM
wes a minor repair like that should not de-value the truck. the whole bedside will need to be refinished in order to do it correctly, if its a small scratch like you are describing then this is how i would do it if i was fixing your truck. (i used to be a painter) i would featheredge the scratch back, prime it, and block sand it, apply more primer and block sand again if needed, then then i would scuff up the rest of the bedside so the clearcoat will stick when sprayed. the whole bedside will not be painted with basecoat, just the area where the scratch is and then the basecoat is blended out to make it fade in with the rest of the color on the bedside, then the clearcoat is applied to the entire bedside. i noticed you said that you and your son will take off the bumper and stepcover yourself, do not tell the insurance adjuster that just let him write his estimate which will always be low balled and then take it to a shop and they will write a supplement and have the adjuster come out and approve it. i would suggest clarke bros paint and body shop in arlington. i hope this helps answer your questions.

Kenny

WA 2 FST
05-19-2011, 12:52 PM
This is great to know, Kenny. Thank you very much. I'm glad to hear the side will just need to be re-cleared and not repainted entirely.

USAA called me today to get my info and I will be taking it in for an estimate at one of their approved shops... but I can get the work done anywhere I choose. If we go through the process of getting the scratch(es) fixed, then I won't R&R the plastic step cover. They can do that on their own time and dime.

Showtime
05-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Wes, they will have to R&R the step covers, ground effects, rear bumper, tail light, the plastic bed side cap that runs along the top of the bed, (and the gas lid door if the damage is on the drivers side) in order to refinish it correctly. The insurance adjusters know this but sometimes they wont write it in the first estimate thinking that you might just go and cash the check and not have the truck repaired. the shop you choose to do the repairs will find what the adjuster left out and call them back out for a supplement. point out everything that was damaged including the step cover, from reading your posts it sounds like the truck before the incident was pristine and you shouldnt really have any problems. while im thinking about it, mention the words "diminished value" to the adjuster and tell him you want a check for that too.

WA 2 FST
05-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Wes, they will have to R&R the step covers, ground effects, rear bumper, tail light, the plastic bed side cap that runs along the top of the bed, (and the gas lid door if the damage is on the drivers side) in order to refinish it correctly. The insurance adjusters know this but sometimes they wont write it in the first estimate thinking that you might just go and cash the check and not have the truck repaired. the shop you choose to do the repairs will find what the adjuster left out and call them back out for a supplement. point out everything that was damaged including the step cover, from reading your posts it sounds like the truck before the incident was pristine and you shouldnt really have any problems. while im thinking about it, mention the words "deminished value" to the adjuster and tell him you want a check for that too.

Great advice, Kenny. This helps me be prepared! I appreciate the thoughtful response.

Showtime
05-19-2011, 06:14 PM
not a problem Wes. if you think of anything else your wondering about just post up. let us know how it works out.

Silver_2000
05-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Ive used the " paintless " dent repair guys for small projects before - The good ones can polish out your issues then airbrush whats left. Its NOT as good as the kind of work that Kenny mentioned but its an option ... A much less expensive option and its done in an hour or 2 in your garage

I think if you look through the archives here you will find the contact info for the one I used