PDA

View Full Version : Dyno'd in 105^F heat

WA 2 FST
08-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Ok, I know common sense says that when it is this hot, no matter what the correction factor is, you will not make the same kind of power as you would on a more "normal" day.

Took my son's truck over to 21CMC to pick up my Vette, which needed a new MAF sensor, and made 2 pulls. 364rwhp/449rwtq. This is an '04 with 42k miles. NGK plugs have ~7k miles on them. Power-enhancing mods are: 4# lower pulley, CAI, E-fan, larger heat exchanger, custom LT headers w/o cats (per Terry) and a Terry canned tune. I have never dyno'd the truck on this particular dyno before. I think it is kind of low, but maybe the headers with a relatively stock set up are hurting it? For those unfamiliar with the truck, I did the exhaust when Terry installed the KB blower. I had him remove the blower and put the stocker back on once it became apparent I was going to store the truck, and then sell it to my son.

Also... as a data point, my TT Vette only dyno'd at 620rwhp SAE today, as opposed to 654 SAE back this winter when it was cold. So maybe that is all it is (extreme heat soak)?

Probably doesn't matter... truck runs great, pulls hard, and is a lot of fun to drive.

Silver_2000
08-14-2012, 05:53 PM
seems low but the heat easily knocks off 20 hp

WA 2 FST
08-14-2012, 06:35 PM
that's kind of what I thought, and am hoping, Doug. My guess would have been ~395rwhp. The headers are probably not doing anything with the stock blower... but I am hoping they are not hurting anything. If they are, I either need to 1) reinstall the stock manifolds/catted H-pipe, and get a decent cat-back or 2) weld in some hi-flow cats. The truck still sounds so mean with Terry's custom exhaust setup. It's all stainless, and it is the best sounding vehicle in my household (or just about anywhere, IMHO). But, while it will pass the OBD-II inspection, it does not have cats, so it does stink up the place, and it will get red-flagged by a road-side sniffer.

I really don't plan to do any more mods to it. He doesn't need more power.

Silver_2000
08-14-2012, 07:06 PM
as I recall the LTHeaders dont exactly "help" stock setups BUT dont hurt either

I loved the sound of mine and would have kept mine even if it did

dboat
08-14-2012, 09:07 PM
as I recall the LTHeaders dont exactly "help" stock setups BUT dont hurt either

I loved the sound of mine and would have kept mine even if it did

that is my recollection as well, is that headers dont help unless you are pushing some big boost numbers, however, I thought some did lose some torque with headers.. btw, Doug, I didnt recall that you had LTs.. was that on the 2000 or the 2004?

Wes, those numbers still arent too shabby, even in this heat.. wait til November and take it back for another run and see what you get then.
Dana

Silver_2000
08-15-2012, 08:02 AM
that is my recollection as well, is that headers dont help unless you are pushing some big boost numbers, however, I thought some did lose some torque with headers.. btw, Doug, I didnt recall that you had LTs.. was that on the 2000 or the 2004?

Wes, those numbers still arent too shabby, even in this heat.. wait til November and take it back for another run and see what you get then.
Dana
Both Dana - LT headers and full exhaust installed by JDM - Moved from 2000 to 2004

tliss
08-15-2012, 08:03 AM
that's kind of what I thought, and am hoping, Doug. My guess would have been ~395rwhp. The headers are probably not doing anything with the stock blower... but I am hoping they are not hurting anything. If they are, I either need to 1) reinstall the stock manifolds/catted H-pipe, and get a decent cat-back or 2) weld in some hi-flow cats. The truck still sounds so mean with Terry's custom exhaust setup. It's all stainless, and it is the best sounding vehicle in my household (or just about anywhere, IMHO). But, while it will pass the OBD-II inspection, it does not have cats, so it does stink up the place, and it will get red-flagged by a road-side sniffer.

I really don't plan to do any more mods to it. He doesn't need more power.

Wes, I've got some Magnaflow high-flow cats that came off the Cobra. Got those welded in in hopes that they would reduce the emission and pass inspection...didn't fare so good. Now I've got a stock h-pipe and just have the cats lying around. You can save a few buck if you want them. Prolly 3-5K miles on them...

Tom

dboat
08-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Both Dana - LT headers and full exhaust installed by JDM - Moved from 2000 to 2004

I dont recall the exhaust note being overly harsh on either.. must have worked pretty well then. However, there are a few L's that are overly loud, IMHO, and I am one that prefers a more modest mellow tone.. no need to overwhelm everyone around you unnecessarily, or your own ears. What I mean by overly loud is when you cant even carry on a conversation in the cab with the windows up due to exhaust noise.. yes, that makes me an old man

Dana

Silver_2000
08-15-2012, 11:49 AM
I dont recall the exhaust note being overly harsh on either.. must have worked pretty well then. However, there are a few L's that are overly loud, IMHO, and I am one that prefers a more modest mellow tone.. no need to overwhelm everyone around you unnecessarily, or your own ears. What I mean by overly loud is when you cant even carry on a conversation in the cab with the windows up due to exhaust noise.. yes, that makes me an old man

Dana

Its because I had cats and magnaflows

L8 APEX
08-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Well's Racing uses a 75HP three phase jet fan for keeping sprint cars cool on the dyno. We would gain 20-40 rwhp by turning the fan on and getting good drop across the heat exchanger.

Beaudee
08-16-2012, 09:54 PM
I dont know what exhaust you got from Terry but i once installed the WILD system that had no x-pipe and noticed a huge loss of power(i removed it and sold it().When i installed the Magnaflow 15714 catback it was a noticable diff..I have the Kooks LT's mag. high flow cats and the 15714 catback.Check out the H.P. gain and torque here,i believe the numbers. http://www.modbargains.com/_e/Ford/product/Magnaflow_Lightning_catback_99-04_MW/Magnaflow_Cat_back_Exhaust_Ford_F_150_Lightning_19 99_2004.htm Its basically a big x-pipe,i think its the best out there for the L..

Silver_2000
08-16-2012, 10:09 PM
mine was kooks with x pipe and magnaflow cats and exhaust - from JDM with an assist from Terry

WA 2 FST
08-16-2012, 10:29 PM
I had Terry do the LT exhaust setup when he installed the KB. I never dyno'd the exhaust setup with the stock blower. The truck runs really well... I'm sure it's plenty for my son. But it has me intrigued that it could be less powerful with the freer-flowing exhaust. If I go to the trouble of changing out the exhaust, I'm going to put some stock manifolds and catted pipe back on it. I've still got the stock cat H-pipe... don't have stock manifolds. But the thing sounds so good... I'm not sure it is worth doing, especially given the fact I don't know if it is costing us power or not.

Simpler solution would just be to get another KB and slap it on there. I have all the supporting mods still on the truck. ;)

FRDRCING
09-29-2012, 02:41 PM
I have a set of stock manifolds if you want them and can't find a set. Just cover the shipping. I have no need for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk