PDA

View Full Version : Plasma Booster Update

03LightningRocks
03-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Hello all,

I have been somewhat out of pocket a few days. I have a flu bug and have been awake an hour or so here and there for two days...which one of ya'll gave it to me!!!!:hammer:

Here is what I have learned. First, I verified what the dyno operators told me about HP/Torque dropping on a run done off a dead battery. If you recall, I had to jump start my truck on all three of the Plasma Booster runs due to running the electric fans while waiting. Right off the bat, that scewed the comparisons.:hammer:

It seems as I did some research, H.P. gain promises are hard to come by. Apparently, where this thing is suppose to help is more in the area of preventing spark blow out. Such as under high humidity situations and running large plug gaps. Now as we all know, running a larger plug gap results in more complete combustion, which in turn improves power. I have found the larger gap making more power to be true. I have not gone to the next level of a .042, but I am planning on it when I come back from Georgia.

Long story made short.....the plasma booster is more of an aid to help prevent spark blow out...not a H.P. booster.
Here is how that can be manipulated into a H.P. gainer:

If your running say a .040 gap on Denso IT 22's with a 4lb or more pulley in a 60% or more humidity with no plasma booster, you could or maybe even will get spark spark blow out near the top of a run.
Now if you had the plasma booster, it would have prevented this blow out which in turn means that in this situation, it would have gained you H.P. by not letting you loose it from the blow out.

Hope this helps to muddy up the water for ya'll as much as it did for me.:hammer:

Rocks

Sixpipes
03-24-2003, 05:38 PM
I'm running IT20s gapped @ .040. My truck has "flamed out" a few times (FFW Ennis last year for example) without throwing codes or anything else. I suspect the stock ignition system did not maintain a long or intense enough spark to prevent a spark blow-out. That is why I purchased the plasma booster and why I will eventually install it.

I don't necessarily see it as adding horsepower, but it allows you to adjust some things (plug gaps for example) that may bring some small horsepower benefits. I do know when you have a flameout, you generate about zero horsepower. :cool:

03LightningRocks
03-24-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Sixpipes
I'm running IT20s gapped @ .040. My truck has "flamed out" a few times (FFW Ennis last year for example) without throwing codes or anything else. I suspect the stock ignition system did not maintain a long or intense enough spark to prevent a spark blow-out. That is why I purchased the plasma booster and why I will eventually install it.

I don't necessarily see it as adding horsepower, but it allows you to adjust some things (plug gaps for example) that may bring some small horsepower benefits. I do know when you have a flameout, you generate about zero horsepower. :cool:

Yep,

That's what it is suppose to help. When you get flame out, it feels like you ran out of gas or something...LOL.

Get it put on, so we can see what it does.:hammer:

Rocks:beer:

dboat
03-24-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by 03LightningRocks
Hello all,

Here is what I have learned. First, I verified what the dyno operators told me about HP/Torque dropping on a run done off a dead battery. If you recall, I had to jump start my truck on all three of the Plasma Booster runs due to running the electric fans while waiting. Right off the bat, that scewed the comparisons.:hammer:

Damn Ron,
I said that sitting on the sidelines.. so dont I get a little credit here too?? :rolleyes:
Dana

L8 APEX
03-24-2003, 09:03 PM
Here is what I think about the fans. Running your fan with the motor off only cools the water in the radiator. that happens in about 1 minute. Running any longer only pulls air across the motor which is not an efficient means of cooling the internal parts. So running the fan for more than a few minutes does not cool the motor much at all:tu:

dboat
03-24-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by L8 ****
Here is what I think about the fans. Running your fan with the motor off only cools the water in the radiator. that happens in about 1 minute. Running any longer only pulls air across the motor which is not an efficient means of cooling the internal parts. So running the fan for more than a few minutes does not cool the motor much at all:tu:

True, but we all enjoyed watching Ron get the battery thingy out of the back and jump his truck.. yes, we are desperate for entertainment..

Silver_2000
03-24-2003, 09:17 PM
I think we should make a list of stuff we weant Ron to check out for us next ...

dboat
03-24-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
I think we should make a list of stuff we weant Ron to check out for us next ...

Yeah, something inexpensive... like a Kenne Bell supercharger...
:D

03LightningRocks
03-24-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!

How about the Works 140.....:twitch:

Here is a tip for Terry....how the fan running thing works is you run the fan for a few minutes...then you start your truck and run it just long enough to circulate the cooled water...then shut off the truck...then repeat...LOL. Hey, I know it is nothing complicated, but what the heck, it gives you something to do in the staging lanes.

Rocks:beer:

Oh Yeah.....Dana was right...running the battery down can lower H.P.:hammer:

cpeapea
03-24-2003, 10:12 PM
howabout a meziere water pump that can be switched on while the truck is off. then running the fan till the battery is dead would serve a purpose...i do so enjoy watching Ron have to jump his truck. jk Ron hehe :d

L8 APEX
03-24-2003, 11:11 PM
C'mon guys keep thinking:D The thermostat is 100% closed below 170 degrees. So it won't circulate when you turn it on or run an electric pump:nono: Next...:twitch:

cpeapea
03-24-2003, 11:38 PM
welp i tried...howabout a Gaven Inc. Electric thermostat. i just invented that one... or maybe some sort of bypass. maybe icebags are just easier

03LightningRocks
03-25-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by L8 ****
C'mon guys keep thinking:D The thermostat is 100% closed below 170 degrees. So it won't circulate when you turn it on or run an electric pump:nono: Next...:twitch:
(But it will help when the truck is 180-210 degrees, which is the running temp of our engines. So by using my method, I lower the heat soak up to the supercharger on top of the engine by as much as 40 degrees. Every little bit helps)

Now Come on Terry,

Try to stick with the topic of the thread:nono:

We are discussing plasma boosters....have any deep thoughts on those???

Rocks

Sixpipes
03-25-2003, 08:17 AM
I still say the name is cool. :cool:

03LightningRocks
03-25-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Sixpipes
I still say the name is cool. :cool:

The name is why I bought it. That and all the neat lights when it's on.:flaming:

Rocks

dboat
03-25-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by 03LightningRocks
The name is why I bought it. That and all the neat lights when it's on.:flaming:

Rocks

Did it come with any stickers you can put on your windows? that would make your L faster too!!! LOL

Dana

03LightningRocks
03-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by dboat
Did it come with any stickers you can put on your windows? that would make your L faster too!!! LOL

Dana

Not even one sticker...LOL.

In theory, if this thing really does what is advertised, it would be especially helpful to those running juice.

I plan on trying wider and wider gaps to see if I can get away without spark blow out and at what point it is no longer effective.

If Dennis will get his installed we will see if it works without my having to go through all this. He already knows he has the spark issue, so if it stops when he puts the Plasma Booster on...yehaw...it will gain H.P. by allowing you to run a larger gap on your plugs.

Rocks :beer: