PDA

View Full Version : Wanting an Intake....what to get?

Fuzion
06-10-2003, 11:41 AM
K, i am wanting to do an intake, really, i just want a smooth intake tub to replace the ugly ribbed one, and REM (http://www.razorsedgemotorsports.com/) sells a Black Intake Tube for 179.95. Is that good, and do any of ya'll use this? If not, what do ya'll use, and does anybody have pictures? I have a picture of the REM Silver tube, along with a Metco/S&B filter kit. Pic below

If it makes a difference, i'm the Harley truck driver

Fuzion
06-10-2003, 11:51 AM
Ok, i found a picture of one, on a Harley. Using the stock air box, over at NHTOC Which there is actually a pretty big discussion about intakes/intake tubes lately. http://www.nhtoc.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2726&perpage=15&pagenumber=1 Thats the link to a talk about this intake tube, and Tim from REM is also posting about a new PowerPipe.

But, the person who intalled this, said its not designed for the stock box, and he had to cut to make it work, which i don't want to do. But i still want to use my stock box.

andy_cain
06-10-2003, 03:39 PM
But i still want to use my stock box.

My sugestion in this case would be: Leave it stock or mod it all.:beer:

You can not be "Kinda" Pregnant.:confused:

I see no gains from running a stock box and changing the elbow into the throttle body and MAF:vomit:

L8 APEX
06-10-2003, 04:01 PM
200 bucks for a looks piece is steep to me. of course if you just want to buy looks then there is no real logic over that. If you want performance either replace the stock unit with a round intake filter, or cut the bottom of the box out and drop in a K&N filter panel. Stock the HD runs 5-6#'s boost and doesn't use much air like the Lightning.

TxBolt
06-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Thats not the black one. The black one is glossy. And if you get the tube get the filter also. I think I paid 299.00. Their right, there may be better mods for you. I love mine with a throttle body , filter and tube. It sounds great. I'm glad I shelled out the peso's.:nana2

Fuzion
06-10-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by TxBolt
Thats not the black one. The black one is glossy. And if you get the tube get the filter also. I think I paid 299.00. Their right, there may be better mods for you. I love mine with a throttle body , filter and tube. It sounds great. I'm glad I shelled out the peso's.:nana2

Yea, and that filter alone doesn't look that bad, wonder if one of those K&N filter covers could fit, with the K&N turned down, so its just the black cover. An intake gives u a louder whistle/siren noise right? Cuz that will be awesome! I got in trouble a few nights ago with my dad when i was on my cell with him, and i punched it, cuz he heard the noise get really loud, but i was still under the speed limit so he was cool about it. Plus, 300 bucks for all that isn't too bad, just gotta wait for payday to see.

andy_cain
06-10-2003, 10:14 PM
QUOTE]I got in trouble a few nights ago with my dad when i was on my cell with him, and i punched it, cuz he heard the noise get really loud[/QUOTE]

"Dude" you were warned and then rewarned...heed the previous advise.
The better part of wisdom is knowing when to shut up...just a thought and aditional warning....gets worse from here:nono:[

Fuzion
06-11-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by andy_cain

"Dude" you were warned and then rewarned...heed the previous advise.
The better part of wisdom is knowing when to shut up...just a thought and aditional warning....gets worse from here:nono:[ [/B]

K, got it, i have got to remember this! But my payday is Tuesday :nana2(the 17th) So, i think with this check, and the money i still have from last time, i will have enough, i wish i was 18 and could get my own credit card! :flaming: So bad when you have to use ur sisters to buy something! :flaming:

Sorry, got a lil happy with the smilies!

Crawford
06-11-2003, 01:19 PM
Most of what I have read on the smooth intake boot people say it adds nothing. I would get a PSP fast air kit or a JL "ram" air kit and leave the stock boot on.

Silver_2000
06-11-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Fuzion
K, got it, i have got to remember this! But my payday is Tuesday :nana2(the 17th) So, i think with this check, and the money i still have from last time, i will have enough, i wish i was 18 and could get my own credit card! :flaming: So bad when you have to use ur sisters to buy something! :flaming:

Sorry, got a lil happy with the smilies!

If the money is burning a hole in your pocket send it to me
Using paypal DougBoss@svtlightnings.com ...

:evil :d :burnout:

diablolightning
06-11-2003, 07:05 PM
I agree get the JL ram air kit. I had an Air Raid but I couldn't ever find the JLP website so settled for that. If I had had a choice i would of gone with the JL unit. johnnylightningperf.com :hammer:

Fuzion
06-13-2003, 12:33 AM
Sue at JLP posted this about an hour ago at NHTOC

Thunder Pipe - $159.00

Tony2000
06-13-2003, 12:16 PM
The way I see it, it can only help you, one by looks or two
horse power gains,
I have that pipe on my L and all I know is that it looks good and it's runing bad to the bone:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Natetrun
06-14-2003, 01:49 AM
yeah, the powerpipe will not add power. just looks. talk to Terry (L8 Apex) and he can get you the filter you need. But from what he says about the HD's not requiring as much air, especially if your running the stock boost, you can get a k&n panel filter for about $40 and increase the flow, and i think someone said it too...cut a hole in the bottom of your airbox if you want. but then again, i don't recommend it since your parental units seem pretty protective about the truck.

hrmmm, why does my sig keep wanting to show?