PDA

View Full Version : Buying vehicles out of state

99WhiteBeast
06-16-2003, 10:42 AM
Can anyone enlighten me about buying vehicles out of state?

I'm looking for info on taxing and such- do I pay state taxes where the car is purchased or in Texas once it is titled?

This is a person to person transaction.

L8 APEX
06-16-2003, 10:49 AM
I ask the people at the tax office:D When I bought the vette from Alabama I just picked up a bill of sale form from AutoTrader and had him sign it and his clear title. Then I filled out the sale amount. You also have to get a green sheet from an inspection place for out of state vehicles before you can register them. So clear title signed, bill of sale signed, and green inspection form and you are good:tu: You can pay tax in the purchasing state but the sale amount on the bill of sale in Texas is hard to beat:twitch:

99WhiteBeast
06-16-2003, 10:57 AM
So if I understand this correctly- I buy vehicle for X amount and actually say I purchased for Y amount to keep taxes lower:cool:

dboat
06-16-2003, 11:08 AM
you can always falsify your data, but the original owner would have to agree to it.. you should probably check to see which state has a lower sales tax rate, then you have to provide evidence that you paid sales tax in the other state.. remember, some states do not have a sales tax...
but I would always counsel you to abide by the laws of the land..
Dana

Sixpipes
06-16-2003, 11:40 AM
Falsifying records to save money. No way that can be against the law. :cool:

blueoval01
06-16-2003, 12:53 PM
Falsifying records to save money. No way that can be against the law. :cool:
Sure, CFO's are doing it all the time .... :hammer:

L8 APEX
06-16-2003, 01:01 PM
As far as the state goes my last two vettes cost about $20K combined. Just get a signed bill of sale and fill out the rest later.

wesman
06-16-2003, 01:56 PM
you can always falsify your data, but the original owner would have to agree to it.. you should probably check to see which state has a lower sales tax rate, then you have to provide evidence that you paid sales tax in the other state.. remember, some states do not have a sales tax...
but I would always counsel you to abide by the laws of the land..
Dana

I don't believe that is correct. It's my understanding that you must pay state tax in the state in which the vehicle will be registered (Bought three cars from out of state) I think the tax for vehicles in Tx is 6.25%.

Payable at your local tax office.....exactly like L8 said....you need inspection and a signed bill of sale....fill in the amount after it's signed :twitch:

--wes

Moonshine
06-18-2003, 01:10 PM
I don't believe that is correct. It's my understanding that you must pay state tax in the state in which the vehicle will be registered (Bought three cars from out of state) I think the tax for vehicles in Tx is 6.25%.

Payable at your local tax office.....exactly like L8 said....you need inspection and a signed bill of sale....fill in the amount after it's signed :twitch:

--wes

Ditto what Wes said. Sales tax is paid in the state the vehicle will be registered in, in this case Tx, and he's correct that the tax rate on vehicles is 6.25%. You only pay the state sales tax rate on a vehicle, no local taxes.

dboat
06-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Ditto what Wes said. Sales tax is paid in the state the vehicle will be registered in, in this case Tx, and he's correct that the tax rate on vehicles is 6.25%. You only pay the state sales tax rate on a vehicle, no local taxes.

Well boys, not to be argumentative, but Wyoming is one of the most popular places to buy a vehicle because of no sales tax.. you title it there and then transfer the title when you get back to Tx.. no sales tax.. but it may not be worth the hassle.. you decide..

Dana

98Cobra
06-18-2003, 02:13 PM
Well boys, not to be argumentative, but Wyoming is one of the most popular places to buy a vehicle because of no sales tax.. you title it there and then transfer the title when you get back to Tx.. no sales tax.. but it may not be worth the hassle.. you decide..

Dana

Try buying a truck in Oklahoma and titling it here. You wont get the title until you fork over the taxes.

You can try looking at www.texas.gov (http://www.texas.gov) for more information, or just call your local county tax assessor/collector's office.

dboat
06-18-2003, 02:16 PM
Try buying a truck in Oklahoma and titling it here. You wont get the title until you fork over the taxes.

You can try looking at www.texas.gov (http://www.texas.gov) for more information, or just call your local county tax assessor/collector's office.

well what do you expect? its oklahoma...

All I can say is that I have done it within the last couple of months...

my2002lightning
06-18-2003, 09:21 PM
98Cobra,

Are you referring to the L? If so, did you buy it at Reynold's in Norman or Dub Richardson/OKC Auto Collection in OKC?

Just wondering ...

I had my '00 white L "reserved" through Tulsa Auto Coll. in early '00 before I was talked out of it by the current gf and the parents. :mad:

Not the case now! :tu:

Ronald y Elaine
(resident TALON representin' / L drivin' / Oklahoma playa's)... or something.