PDA

View Full Version : Door crack

98Cobra
07-11-2003, 10:58 AM
Well, as many of you know, I have the infamous door crack on the driver's side door of my 2000 Lightning. I had held off on commenting much on the boards about it because I was confident it would be fixed to my satisfaction. It appears now that my confidence was misplaced.

My truck currently has 67,000 miles on it, however, I first noticed this problem when we went to Hallsville early this year, when I had maybe 52,000 miles.

For some light reading on the subject, click here: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=f-150+door+crack

I think this should be repaired even beyond the 36k mile warranty for a few reasons:
Affects many trucks made between 1997 and 2000 Is not a trim piece, but the actual sheet metal Caused by rolling the window up/down too many times(but this isn't a design defect! :bs) Would be covered if I had simply rolled the window up/down more times before I went past 36k miles Body supposedly has a 5 year/unlimited mileage perforation corrosion warrantyI had Bankston look at it and they quoted the repair at about $500. Ford warranty denied coverage saying that my 6 year/100k mile PremiumCare warranty doesn't cover sheet metal(wtf?). I called Ford Customer Service and opened a case with them, and they had me go back to the dealer. Bankston agreed to take it to the regional rep. After 3 days, the regional rep basically told me to get stuffed. Bankston is still willing to fix it for me if I pay $100(20% of the cost). Unfortunately, I'll also have to get my own rental car. I find this unacceptable considering that this problem is not a result of normal wear and tear, misuse, modification of the vehicle, or external damage to the door. Also, this isn't a Bankston problem, they shouldn't have to pay for it either. This IS a defect, like it or not.

I guess I just have an unrealistic expectation that a vehicle less than 3 years old could not start tearing itself apart.

I am still pursuing other avenues. This is my 4th Ford, 2nd F150, but a problem like this really make me think about what badge will be on the front of my next vehicle. :flaming:

Sixpipes
07-11-2003, 12:48 PM
I have a crack too. On my driver's side door I mean. :cool:

TXBLU
07-11-2003, 12:52 PM
So, where is your crack. On the truck I mean.... :roll

my2002lightning
07-11-2003, 12:54 PM
Garett,

Sorry to hear about the L / door crack issue ! Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction. I ought to check mine out while I'm thinking about it.

If you want, you can count on me to take you to/from work or even to Bankston during lunch to check up on the progress.

Let me know!

Ronald

Sixpipes
07-11-2003, 01:11 PM
So, where is your crack. On the truck I mean.... :roll

Driver's side window frame, about 3" from the bottom on the rear edge (I'm still talking about the truck). :cool:

Moonshine
07-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Sounds sorta' like the self removing spark plugs not being a manufacturer's defect. :Bullshit

Can one of you post a pic of the crack. Yes, the door crack.

my2002lightning
07-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Driver's side window frame, about 3" from the bottom on the rear edge (I'm still talking about the truck). :cool:

Dennis,

I'm glad you cleared that up, because I was imagining you showing the Ford Svc Mgr. your other CRACK ! :roll

Ronald

Sixpipes
07-11-2003, 01:21 PM
Dennis,

I'm glad you cleared that up, because I was imagining you showing the Ford Svc Mgr. your other CRACK ! :roll

Ronald
I may get around to doing that eventually. http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/images/smilies/dork.gif

Sixpipes
07-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Sounds sorta' like the self removing spark plugs not being a manufacturer's defect. :Bullshit

Can one of you post a pic of the crack. Yes, the door crack.http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/211-300-64992.jpg
I would normally try to clean my crack up before I posted a picture of it on the internet, but I have an appointment in Dallas at 2:30 and didn't have time. Besides, most cracks I've seen look pretty similar. I'm sure Garrett's crack will show up better than mine anyway. I mean with his truck being white or something. At least that is what I heard. It would be better than looking at a red crack for sure. :cool:

Logan
07-11-2003, 01:40 PM
This thread is on crack.

TXBLU
07-11-2003, 01:43 PM
This thread is on crack.

Kinda looks like this thread IS crack!!! :)

my2002lightning
07-11-2003, 01:48 PM
I remember a buddy of mine back at Madill HS was dating this blonde hottie named Dawn...

We'd make jokes about "the crack of Dawn"....

Ah, the good ol' days...

NOW! Back on topic... :d

Crawford
07-11-2003, 01:53 PM
Garett,

That sucks man. Hopefully it will get worked out. If not you can always slap some liquid nails on it! :D

The rest of you guys, "crack" me up!! :roll

my2002lightning
07-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Cr@cka' , pleeze !!! :roll

Sixpipes
07-11-2003, 02:03 PM
I remember a buddy of mine back at Madill HS was dating this blonde hottie named Dawn...

We'd make jokes about "the crack of Dawn"....

Ah, the good ol' days...

NOW! Back on topic... :dThat's when Tony Orlando used to get up. "At the crack of dawn," I mean. But I digress.

You guys that don't have a crack, just keep laughing cause one of these days when you least expect it............... Shazzam! You'll be looking directly at your own crack. Then you won't think this is so funny. And like most cracks, what happens? The more it is used, the bigger it will get. Then you'll come to the harsh reality that staring at your own crack (or somebody else's for that matter) is really not all that much fun. Plus you'll need glasses if you stare too long.:cool:

aliekitn99
07-11-2003, 03:43 PM
Is this "crack" thing kinda like the "clunk" thing? Either way, they both suck... :eek:

99WhiteBeast
07-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Garett,
That is total :Bullshit.

Do you think you would have any luck at another more sympathic dealership?

I too am on an extended warranty that only covers the drive train but have yet to see that issue.

98Cobra
07-11-2003, 04:51 PM
Garett,
That is total :Bullshit.

Do you think you would have any luck at another more sympathic dealership?

I too am on an extended warranty that only covers the drive train but have yet to see that issue.

It is total BS. Unfortunately, I don't think a more sympathetic dealership would be any more successful at covering it under warranty. :(

To everyone else, thanks for the replies. I called Ford Executive Division today and am waiting to see what, if anything they will do about this.

Walking out of work today, I passed by two F150s, one a 99, another of an unknown year. BOTH had the problem.

Here is what it looks like on my truck so far. Pay attention Moonshine, you should see this at some point too. :(

http://www.trietsch.com/images/Doorcracksmall.jpg

andy_cain
07-11-2003, 05:00 PM
:eek2::eek2:
DAMN !!!!
Maybe the Zaino is holding mine together...:D

98Cobra
07-11-2003, 05:19 PM
:eek2::eek2:
DAMN !!!!
Maybe the Zaino is holding mine together...:D

According to everything I have read, and I tend to believe this, its caused by the window being rolled up/down. That explains why it happens to driver's side doors more often I think. Since yours only leaves the garage on cloudless days, you are probably safe for quite some time. :D Also, they may have fixed this for 2001+.

andy_cain
07-11-2003, 05:39 PM
Just guessing here...but won't winter freezes expand that crack more than it is...especially if water were in the crack before the temp dropped to below freezing?:confused:

Wonder if it could be tac or arc welded with a bead, sand down a bit to smooth out the bead and hit it with some paint. :(

dboat
07-11-2003, 05:41 PM
Just guessing here...but won't winter freezes expand that crack more than it is...especially if water were in the crack before the temp dropped to below freezing?:confused: Probably not there unless you were up north where it snowed a lot..

Wonder if it could be tac or arc welded with a bead, sand down a bit to smooth out the bead and hit it with some paint. :(

That would be the fix..

aliekitn99
07-11-2003, 05:57 PM
It is total BS. Unfortunately, I don't think a more sympathetic dealership would be any more successful at covering it under warranty. :(

To everyone else, thanks for the replies. I called Ford Executive Division today and am waiting to see what, if anything they will do about this.

Walking out of work today, I passed by two F150s, one a 99, another of an unknown year. BOTH had the problem.

Here is what it looks like on my truck so far. Pay attention Moonshine, you should see this at some point too. :(

http://www.trietsch.com/images/Doorcracksmall.jpg

this brings tears to my eyes...I can't believe that the dealership isn't assisting with this as it's a known issue. It's totally super sucky and a bunch of :bs

Alpine
07-12-2003, 12:25 AM
I have a 2000 that has "the crack" in the exact same place as the pictures posted.:hammer::hammer: We should all take our trucks to the dealer at the same time. There is strength in numbers!.

Crawford
07-12-2003, 02:46 AM
Maybe its from repeated closing of the door up high causing it to bend a tad and thus crack. I am going to start pushing lower on the door to shut it if it isnt already too late.

MrsMy2002Lightning
07-12-2003, 01:54 PM
Sorry to see your truck is hurt Garett. I hope they fix it for ya!

98Cobra
07-22-2003, 02:33 PM
<DIV>Well, after a week with no word from Ford, I called back and left a message for the woman working on this. She called me back within an hour or so. Ford and Bankston will cover the entire cost of the repair, the only thing I will have to pay for is the rental car. :bs

In principal, I don't think I should have to pay for the rental either, but nonetheless I will count this as a win AFTER I have my truck back and the repair meets my satisfaction.

All in all, I am satisfied with the outcome, but the only thing that leaves a bad taste in my mouth is that it took this much effort on my part to get a response. For Ford to ante up the extra $150 or so it took calling the Executive Offices. Why? Just to piss me off?

jmlay
07-22-2003, 06:42 PM
I had the same problem on my 97 F-150.

Ford, as well as all of the other auto manufactures, has procedures for out of warranty repairs. There was a large article in Consumer Reports a few years ago on this very subject, out of warranty repairs.

Ford will cover 50%, the dealership will cover 25%, and the auto owner will pay 25% for the first 52,000mi, if you have a standup dealer they will cover your 25% also. Confirmed this with my dealer when I traded in my 97 for the 2000, otherwise I was going to get dinged on the trade.
Supposedly they were putting in a reinforcement to combat this issue and were to be part of the repair.

Mike

my2002lightning
07-22-2003, 07:21 PM
Garett,

Glad to hear the L is going to be taken care of!

Too bad it caused you so much grief.

Give me a call if you want to take care of the BS rental car issue.

Ronald

Sixpipes
07-22-2003, 09:18 PM
I don't have any plans to get rid of my crack at this point. Just another scar on the old primate. :cool:

ken cryder
07-23-2003, 12:28 AM
check with crash works here in denton he could probably fix it cheaper than that . 940 482 7088 talk to jeremy tell him i sent you , he does very good work .

here is an example of some of his work.http://headhunters.metadot.com/metadot/index.pl?id=2655&isa=Contractor&op=download

98Cobra
08-20-2003, 03:39 PM
Well, I have got to wonder how Bankston is fairing on their "scoring" with customer satisfaction on surveys.

Truck was dropped off on Monday, 8/11/03, after being estimated twice before by body shop guy at dealership over previous 3 weeks. Any parts necessary were to be ordered and on hand at this time - none were ordered, appraiser didn't know of anything to be ordered to fix this issue.

Truck is taken to body shop, in Addison. Truck is not even looked at by body shop at this location until Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. Body shop guy quickly determines parts needed to be ordered, so parts are ordered. I call back on Thursday and they are working on it, estimated completion on Friday afternoon but likely Monday. On Friday this is confirmed, it wont be done until Monday. Oh well, I didn't want to take my boat to the lake over the weekend anyway. :mad:

Monday - the truck is still at the body shop, but should be done that afternoon.

Tuesday - truck doesnt show up at Bankston. I visit in person, and the service advisor calls the body shop - the truck is waiting to be buffed, then returned to Bankston.

Wednesday - Body shop guy calls - truck just arrived in Frisco at 2pm. I wait until 3:30 to call the service advisor to see how its coming replacing the cats(another warranty item). Truck will be done tomorrow afternoon he says.

Basically, Bankston service and Bankston Collison do not talk to each other much, if at all, so a massive finger pointing contest will occur if you ask either one a question they don't know the answer to. It shouldn't take 8 business days to repair/repaint a single door, especially when they were supposed to order the parts in advance if they needed any.

I am glad I was able to borrow my grandparent's 1995 Taurus. Otherwise, in addition to L withdrawl, I would be out $28/day + tax($32) X 9 = $288!!!! :flaming:

I also told the service guy yesterday - if I find any flaw with the paint, or my exhaust isn't fixed completely, I will not accept delivery of the truck.

Believe me, I will not forget this. :Bullshit

my2002lightning
08-20-2003, 06:41 PM
Stay on their a$$ Garett! :mad:

Ronald

Todd
08-20-2003, 07:44 PM
Don't blame the oval! Bowties do the same. Look at the camaro and firebirds. They crack between the door and the rear hatch about where the glass meets the door.

98Cobra
08-21-2003, 08:07 AM
Don't blame the oval! Bowties do the same. Look at the camaro and firebirds. They crack between the door and the rear hatch about where the glass meets the door.

Oh, I am not as upset about my truck's sheet metal splitting itself open as I am about the hoops I have had to jump through to get it fixed. You shouldn't have to go all the way up to Ford Corporate to get them to pay for this kind of repair. And its also frustrating the way Bankston has handled it.

98Cobra
08-23-2003, 11:31 AM
Welp, I went down on Thursday after work to pick up the L. I determined in about 15 seconds that the work on the door was sub-par.

The paint at first glance looks ok, but when you look closer, the lower part of the door doesn't look completely painted - I don't know how to describe it, other than it just doesn't look like enough paint was used. When you feel it with your hand, it actually feels rough too, even compared to other parts of the door!

I also found one place on the door edge where there is a visible "run" in the paint, and the place where the door crack was repaired still doesn't look right.

Needless to say, I was :flaming:.

Since they couldn't work on it over the weekend, I took it back so I could take the ol' boat to the lake, but it goes back first thing Monday morning.

On a positive note, the exhaust is fixed! Finally, its not embarassing to accelerate from a stop anymore! :D

98Cobra
09-18-2003, 09:12 PM
Well, I wanted to post a final, closing note on this whole thing, more for historical purposes really.

I took the truck back the following Monday morning, and they managed to get it fixed by Friday afternoon. It now looks good. They also used touchup on a couple of rock chips for me.

So, to sum up, to fix the door crack I was only without the truck for a total of 18 days. If I hadn't been able to borrow a car, I estimate that would have only cost me $500-$600 in rental car fees.

Draw your own conclusions about Bankston Paint and Body...:mad:

MadMax
09-19-2003, 05:19 PM
you guys crack a me up... :beer: i suddenly need bier or something...

MrsMy2002Lightning
09-19-2003, 05:35 PM
Hey Garret,

I just went and picked mine up. Has been there 10 days for a transmission overhaul. Not sure if that's normal or not. lol

Was talking to the guy at the car rental and he said a lady has been calling up there over and over just ticked! Apparently after the last hail storm she brought her car in to have the hail dents taken out. They've had her car for 3 and a half months.

Now that's bad!

Makes 10 days and 18 days seem like nothing compared to that but they're all still rediculous times...It should be done WAY before that!