PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Glass for the L

True Blue Aggie
08-26-2003, 08:04 AM
Well, has anyone had luck with finding a decently price replacement glass for there truck? The front windshield had a crack in it for the past couple of months, and then I decided to wash the truck in the sun this weekend.
The crack is much bigger now. The wallet is going to be much slimmer now....

blueoval01
08-26-2003, 08:24 AM
Does your insurance policy have glass covrage?
If so, it should only cost you the deductable. In many cases just $50.

True Blue Aggie
08-26-2003, 12:30 PM
It does, but I try to keep the small claims off of my insurance. Anyone here had to replace there front windsheild without the help of insurance?

blueoval01
08-26-2003, 07:05 PM
Well, I guess no one has had their W/S replaced. Including me.
I just talked to my neighbor who works for GlassDoctor. He thought that the Full Size F-150 W/S ran around 275-325 installed. He also said that they might come either green tint or blue tint, both with shade at the top.

my2002lightning
08-26-2003, 07:10 PM
blueoval01,

Your neighbor at GlassDoctor, ask him what he can do for a TINY rock-chip on a L windshield if you could. I'd appreciate it.

I got it on the way down here RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY W/S VIEW STRAIGHT down the road ! :flaming: Every day is a constant reminder. :crying:

Thanks,

Ronald

blueoval01
08-26-2003, 08:14 PM
Ronald, that falls under W/S repair. If the chip is deep enough they put a suction cup over it and pump clear pucky into it. This supposedly prevents the chip from running out and removes (at least) the visual of the bullseye.
I've never had this done so I can't actually say that it works.

Matter of fact, I saw a banner at Kwik-Kar when I got the L inspected that said "We do W/S Repair". Best to run by, let them look at it and see what kinda warrenty they offer.

Just my .02

my2002lightning
08-26-2003, 08:46 PM
Ronald, that falls under W/S repair. If the chip is deep enough they put a suction cup over it and pump clear pucky into it. This supposedly prevents the chip from running out and removes (at least) the visual of the bullseye.
I've never had this done so I can't actually say that it works.

Matter of fact, I saw a banner at Kwik-Kar when I got the L inspected that said "We do W/S Repair". Best to run by, let them look at it and see what kinda warrenty they offer.

Just my .02

BO1,

Yeah, it's not through to the inside of the cab, just a small "chip" out of the exterior of the glass.:mad:

I'll try to look 'em up, 'preciate it!

Ronald

Ken
08-27-2003, 09:03 AM

Usually, they won't repair chips in the portion of glass directly in front of the drivers field of vision. The repair will still distort the view and the glass is still weakened in that area. They are only supposed to repair passenger side damage (you know cause we don't care about weakened windshields in front of our passengers...) :rolleyes:

I don't know about yall's insurance, but mine will not cover rock chips. Luckily our chipped windshield was then damaged by hail which was covered.

99WhiteBeast
08-28-2003, 08:50 AM
I replaced mine out of pocket. Safelite-$238

True Blue Aggie
08-28-2003, 12:26 PM
Did Saflite give you the factory glass? Or was it aftermarket? I was hoping to put the factory glass back into the L, but cost could be a factor (as it always is)

Moonshine
08-28-2003, 12:29 PM
It does, but I try to keep the small claims off of my insurance. Anyone here had to replace there front windsheild without the help of insurance?

I'm on my 3rd windshield. Somewhere around $240, Safelite.

99WhiteBeast
08-28-2003, 12:36 PM
Did Saflite give you the factory glass? Or was it aftermarket? I was hoping to put the factory glass back into the L, but cost could be a factor (as it always is)

It was the factory glass with the tint screen banner. The cost was actually 280 something but due to a small imperfection (scratch that I could not even notice) they discounted it 50

L8 APEX
08-28-2003, 12:44 PM
I may replace the windshield next spring after the winter snad and carp is over. I have been kind of weird with my L windshield.. I won't use the wipers or sprayer if it is dirty. It cuts and leaves wipe marks in the glas, so I will pull over and wash it instead of use the sprayer:rolleyes: At least I don't have wiper wear makrs on the glass, just a lot of high speed pitting evenly.