PDA

View Full Version : oil

anglerx007
11-26-2003, 11:20 AM
What weight oil have you been using for your lightning. Ford recommends 5w20 but this seems a little thin for North Texas. I'll be changing mine for the first time this week. Also, has anyone used Vmax in their truck?

03'svtlight
11-26-2003, 11:26 AM
What weight oil have you been using for your lightning. Ford recommends 5w20 but this seems a little thin for North Texas. I'll be changing mine for the first time this week. Also, has anyone used Vmax in their truck?
I use valvoline 5w-30 w/a motorcraft fl-820s filter. Some use mobil 1 5w-30. Do not use a fram filter. It doesn't have an anti-drain back valve. You will get piston slap on cold starts if you did. :nono:

Nuhklz
11-26-2003, 11:30 AM
http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3728

There was a thread going a week or so ago on the same topic. I just changed the oil in mine at 1500 miles and stuck with 5 -20. For the summer I'll switch to 5 - 30.

anglerx007
11-26-2003, 11:33 AM
I use valvoline 5w-30 w/a motorcraft fl-820s filter. Some use mobil 1 5w-30. Do not use a fram filter. It doesn't have an anti-drain back valve. You will get piston slap on cold starts if you did. :nono:

Thanks for the info. How can you tell if a filter has an "anti-drain back valve" and what exactly does this do? I have always used Fram filters in my other vehicles. Is this back valve necessary for non-performance vehicles too?

03'svtlight
11-26-2003, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the info. How can you tell if a filter has an "anti-drain back valve" and what exactly does this do? I have always used Fram filters in my other vehicles. Is this back valve necessary for non-performance vehicles too?
In the motorcrafts its the little orange like piece kinda right at the the top. as for other vehicles, I wouldn't know. I think it has a little bit to do with the pump pointing straight down where the filter screws in. This valve keeps the oil from draining back in the filter while sitting over several hours. Almost eliminating dry starts.I put a fram on and couldnt understand why it was knocking until someone told me about it. Without even changing the oil, I put on the motorcraft and never had a problem. :tu:

REXRENEGADE
11-26-2003, 02:06 PM
For Me It's

Mobile 1 10-30w - Synthetic Oil Only ( the container with the BLUE CAP?).
Mobile 1 Filters Only.

You can find the oil at most auto supply places.
I Go to the AUTO ZONE For Filters. The're like 11 bucks.

Cheers
:beer:

cpeapea
11-26-2003, 08:59 PM
mobil m1-210 filter
and 5w-30 synth