PDA

View Full Version : Warranty questions

DamonH
12-04-2003, 08:51 PM
I have an 01, and the only mods the truck has ever had are intake and exhaust (AFM powerpipe/filter and silverbullit exhaust). I'm sitting at 27,000 miles, and my warranty will run out in March. My tranny has gone to crap for the most part. It takes a long time to shift, the lockup NEVER seemed right, and most of the time I have to wait 3+ seconds for it to go into reverse. I took it to the dealer once before, but of course, "we see no problems with the tranny, it's not throwing any codes". Now there really isn't much of a way they can deny it having problems.

1. Whats the current mod friendly dealer / tech? Preferably close to the Lewisville area. I took it to the dealer in Frisco last time and was NOT impressed, maybe I just talked to the wrong folks tho. You can PM me if you have suggestions. :)

2. What are the chances of me paying the difference to have them put in a monster box if they have to replace the tranny? Slim to none I'm assuming.

3. Last time I took it in, I had to pay the taxes for the rental car, is this normal? Seems like they should pay for the whole thing to me. :flaming:

Thanks for any help!

Avalanche
12-04-2003, 09:35 PM
Well I can tell you that the mods that you have done should not effect the warranty, the intake I know for sure will not. I am not to sure about the exhaust but I don't think that will void the warranty either. The problem with our tranny is that the power modulator valve (line mod) in the trans valve body is made of weak aluminum and this gets gummed up. I would suggest that if they give you any heart burn to take it to a transmission shop and have them look at it, if you want the name of the guy who built mine and Kens I will be more than willing to give it to you.

What happens when the lone mod valve sticks is that the clutches do not get the pressure they need to chift and you will begin to burn them and then the bands will begin to burn. What I think the problem with yours is that the line mod valve is stuck and the reverse valve is gummed up. This is causing the hesitation that you are feeling.

For around 150 or 200 I am not sure the guy that works on my tranny will go through it and then put in a shift kit and you will be able to save your tranny for alittle while longer. If you want to go the whole enchilada then it will cost in the neighborhood of 3k (this is what I have and I have had almost 700 ft lbs of torque through mine so far and not even a slip.

Just my two cents and I hope I could help you. If you want a good repair shop (Ford dealer) I would recommend Skyline Ford and ask for Jeff Barron. He is really cool and he will help you out and tell you what he can do. Tell him that Brent sent you and he will treat you right.

Avalanche
12-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Taxes on the rental car is normal the warranty does not cover the taxes only the rental.

wesman
12-04-2003, 10:06 PM
Taxes on the rental car is normal the warranty does not cover the taxes only the rental.
Hmmm....must be another Ford BS rule.....I've had the 350 in for tranny troubles on two occasions and have not had to pay a cent, besides gas....all covered under warranty.

BTW-Now that I think of it, when I had the IC replaced on the L, I had to pay the taxes for the POS Focus I got stuck in.......Take in their flagship truck for a repair on a manufacturer defect and they send you out in a damn 1.5 cyl F#ckus.

--wes

L8 APEX
12-05-2003, 12:15 AM
Look on the side of the tranny if it has a J1 code it is a junker and needs hard parts updated. I doubt it is getting varnished and sticking at only 27K miles that is not aged at all. I am not impressed with Monster boxes to date. You shouldn't have a problem getting a new one. The only things they have a reason for is chip and pulley. If they refuse let me know we have a good tranny program right now.
SVT Normally cover s 30 bucks a day. I enjoyed being hooked up with the dealer back in the day. When I launched a plug after bringing it in for a ticking noise the week before and they found nothing:hammer: . Enterprise was out of rentals so my manager buddy hooked me up with an Eddie Bauer Expedition for the week. It was a holiday week so I even took it to the sand dunes in NM for the weekend:beer: .

DamonH
12-05-2003, 01:19 AM
Hmmm....must be another Ford BS rule.....I've had the 350 in for tranny troubles on two occasions and have not had to pay a cent, besides gas....all covered under warranty.

Yep. Megan didn't have to pay anything for her rent car when the Mazda was in the shop. Guess it's just Ford BS. Ford owns Mazda tho, so that's pretty retarded. The kicker is the damn taxes are like 28% ... so I have to end up paying $5 a day or whatever to drive a POS. :flaming:

DamonH
12-05-2003, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I hope they don't bullshit me and try to void my warranty for intake/exhaust, but I've seen dumber things happen for parts as expensive as a tranny. I'll probably put the stock intake back on just to make it that much harder for them to void it. I've never even done the boost bypass, I'll be really pissed if the give me ****. I told them the first time at around 12,000 miles it just didn't feel as solid as I think it should.

my2002lightning
12-05-2003, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I hope they don't bullshit me and try to void my warranty for intake/exhaust, but I've seen dumber things happen for parts as expensive as a tranny. I'll probably put the stock intake back on just to make it that much harder for them to void it. I've never even done the boost bypass, I'll be really pissed if the give me ****. I told them the first time at around 12,000 miles it just didn't feel as solid as I think it should.Damon,

I went to your "SVT dealer in Frisco" recently for a DOCUMENTED oil-change :D and was curious about extended warranties and MILD mods to a '02 L.

The rep. there told me any intake mod. that changes the intake temps. from the stock air box will "void the warranty". :rolleyes:

I sorta' challenged him saying if my bumper fell off and I had say.... an aftermarket cold-air kit, that they would void my warranty... he said "it voids your warranty". :confused: :rolleyes:

The rep. just kept repeating the same "party line" regarding other possible issues even regarding launching plugs, etc.

And get this... the Ford Performance catalog they sell AT THE DEALERSHIP and parts they SELL/INSTALL THERE ... are not warrantied on our Ls since it is a "performance" part.:flaming: :hammer:

They can sell it and install it, but can't warranty it?!? :mad:

Hmm...

Ronald

wesman
12-05-2003, 04:28 AM
Yep. Megan didn't have to pay anything for her rent car when the Mazda was in the shop. Guess it's just Ford BS. Ford owns Mazda tho, so that's pretty retarded. The kicker is the damn taxes are like 28% ... so I have to end up paying $5 a day or whatever to drive a POS. :flaming:
Just let me know when you go...I bet I could "convince" them for you.

--wes