PDA

View Full Version : PC Efficiency

99WhiteBeast
12-17-2003, 11:54 PM
I trying to get my daughters PC running better. We can't seem to get a clean shut down on daily basis with out it hanging.

I've tried some of the utilites:
Defrag- won't run completely due to errors on the disk
ScanDisk- hangs on checking file allocation tables for hours

I've shut down/disabled all the ancillary programs that could be running in the background writing to the disk during the scandisk process but still no luck.

Desktop Specs: 128MB ram/ 800 Celeron processor/30GB hardrive (90% full:eek2: ) running on ME

I've cleaned up some of the temp crap out there to free some space but there is no way there is that much data on that PC.

Any suggestions?

blueoval01
12-18-2003, 12:11 AM
Argg,
Only that the "Life Cycle" for ME ends Dec. 31, 2003. After that, MS will charge your Credit Card for support.
90% full ???
Search for *.TMP files.
And delete that freakin' MSN explorer crap.

If she is cruisin' the Web with no protection, check out Ad-aware. No telling how much BS the Web sites have put on the hard drive.

I could go on for hours about the BS that MS and other sites do, but it's late ......... and whatever ... zzzzzzzzz

cpeapea
12-18-2003, 06:58 AM
reformat it.

Wht95Lightning
12-18-2003, 07:44 AM
Try www.pcpitstop.com (http://www.pcpitstop.com)

A pretty thorough check of your machine and will point out some probs. I use it all the time "anonymously" and it's pointed out some pretty big problems that I didn't even know about.

microsuck
12-18-2003, 08:16 AM
reformat it.ditto, and use something on the nt kernal for god's sake.

Nuhklz
12-18-2003, 08:22 AM
reformat it.
This will also clean the registry.

George G.
12-18-2003, 10:25 AM
Downloaded music can fill up a HDD really quick! How about any personal folders in Outlook(if used)? Any jpg's? Personally, I'd back up the data and reformat myself. What about any program files/folders that were left behind on the root of C: when something was uninstalled.