PDA

View Full Version : Rough idle

PoorSvtman
12-19-2003, 12:45 PM
I have a rough idle. Seems like a miss but ive read that most all Ls have a rough idle. It runs fine just kind of a miss/shake at idle.

When i ran an oaisis report(bought the L used) it showed that there was a blown plug but was replaced with a new head. But the thing is all the coil packs have a yellow motorcraft sticker on the top. But one dosent. I was looking at my moms f150 with a 4.6 and i think my odd ball coil pack is the same as hers, going to check the numbers tonight to make sure.

Are the L coilpacks the same or different? If the L coil pack is different i will start hitting up ebay for a correct one.

99WhiteBeast
12-19-2003, 06:31 PM
Just curious what makes you think the coil pack is causing the miss?

Did this just start or have you been noticing it for awhile?
The one that is different is most likely the one replaced when the plug ejected. I would think the coil packs are universal on the modular motors (4.6,5.4) but not sure. Maybe someone can chime in here with the answer.

blueoval01
12-19-2003, 06:49 PM
I have a rough idle. Seems like a miss but ive read that most all Ls have a rough idle.......... Mine idles smoother than a babies butt.
Why would an L idle any different? Assuming it is tuned correctly ...:confused:

PoorSvtman
12-19-2003, 08:02 PM
Mine idles smoother than a babies butt.
Why would an L idle any different? Assuming it is tuned correctly ...:confused:

Im pretty much stock except for a air raid intake, bassani shorty headers, high flow cats, x pipe and mufflers.

Steve- its something ive noticed for awhile. Dosent bother me much just wondering. I have read/searched on f150online that im not the only one but almost every person that replied was heavily modded compared to me. When i changed the plugs a few months back all looked pretty normal except the one with the different coil pack. There still sitting on my desk id snap a pic of them but no digi, ill just bring them to the cruise.

The one that is different is most likely the one replaced when the plug ejected

You are correct about that one. it is the same one that poped. All i know is that the oasis report showed to have the intercooler recall done which was a relief

microsuck
12-19-2003, 08:06 PM
Im pretty much stock except for a air raid intake, bassani shorty headers, high flow cats, x pipe and mufflers.

Steve- its something ive noticed for awhile. Dosent bother me much just wondering. I have read/searched on f150online that im not the only one but almost every person that replied was heavily modded compared to me. When i changed the plugs a few months back all looked pretty normal except the one with the different coil pack. There still sitting on my desk id snap a pic of them but no digi, ill just bring them to the cruise.

You are correct about that one. it is the same one that poped. All i know is that the oasis report showed to have the intercooler recall done which was a reliefdoes it do it at different temps? also does it do it after you have been driving it for over 15min?

PoorSvtman
12-19-2003, 08:12 PM
does it do it at different temps? also does it do it after you have been driving it for over 15min?

Hmm ill find out in a little bit when i go to the movies with the g/f

PoorSvtman
12-20-2003, 03:00 AM
its not as noticable after its warmed up. But i could still feel it while sitting in the drivers seat.

Sixpipes
12-20-2003, 09:50 AM
its not as noticable after its warmed up. But i could still feel it while sitting in the drivers seat.Could be a small vacuum leak. If you have done anything under the hood around the vacuum lines or emission system stuff, re-check the hoses. Also, replacement coil packs have black tops, the originals had yellow, so you probably have had only had a single coil packed replaced. I have two black ones and six yellow ones. :cool:

PoorSvtman
12-20-2003, 12:06 PM
Could be a small vacuum leak. If you have done anything under the hood around the vacuum lines or emission system stuff, re-check the hoses. Also, replacement coil packs have black tops, the originals had yellow, so you probably have had only had a single coil packed replaced. I have two black ones and six yellow ones. :cool:

Alright thanks for clearing up my coil pack question. SO there isnt a specific coilpack for the Ls then.

I checked for vac leaks already but will check again. :tu:

Sixpipes
12-20-2003, 01:00 PM
Alright thanks for clearing up my coil pack question. SO there isnt a specific coilpack for the Ls then.
I think the coilpacks for the Lightnings are specific. I'm just saying the ones that originally came on my truck had yellow tops. When I bought the replacements, I noticed the tops were black. I called Bankston to double check and make sure I got the right ones and they explained the part had been updated since the original production coils packs and had different labeling. :cool:

PoorSvtman
12-20-2003, 02:19 PM
Just went out and looked my moms 03 f150 with a 4.6.
Her coil packs (black tops aswell) have these numbers
EE03A
1L2U-12A366-AA
2c2293

My black top coil pack on the L has these numbers
EE03A
1L2U-12A366-AA
2B2263

Both coil packs have all the same numbers excpet for the last set of numbers. Ill probly stop by ford Monday on my lunch hour to see what the part numbers are.