PDA

View Full Version : Found vacuum leak

SILVER2000SVT
01-04-2004, 09:29 PM
With the addition of the new boost gauge I was hoping it would give me some indication that something was wrong. Well that's what I found. I've complained about not having enough boost (5psi up to 7psi at full RPM) for the past year or so and have had the dealer look at it 3 times only to tell me that nothing was wrong, and that the two separate stock gauges they put in that were telling me this were wrong as well.

Well, guess what, my autometer gauge says the same thing! The real sign that something was wrong is that I'm only reading 8-9in of vacuum at an idle, and about 5inHg crusing. After checking a couple of things, I found that my boost actuator is leaking like crazy and by putting my finger over the hose it jumps to 18in of vacuum. MMM, After having an accurate gauge it took me maybe 20min to find a problem that the dealer (the professionals) couldn't find in 3 seperate visits.

Can you believe they want $218 for that simple little diaphram actuator!! I was thinking it should be about a $30 or $40 part at most. Luckly I have the huge oil leak in the timing chain cover they created from the last time they worked on it to replace the head, so that gives me a reason to take it back for service anyway. So off to the shop (Texan Ford) tomorrow to get both these things taken care of.

It just pisses me off that most all the problems I've had with my truck are a direct result of Texan Ford service department working on it. :hammer:

Jason

99WhiteBeast
01-05-2004, 12:28 PM
We'll at least you found the problem- good luck on the fix

You think they may have damaged the boost actuator during the R&R of the head?

SILVER2000SVT
01-05-2004, 01:17 PM
We'll at least you found the problem- good luck on the fix

You think they may have damaged the boost actuator during the R&R of the head?
I'm thinking it could have been damaged for the past year and a half, when they did the intercooler recall. My max boost has gradually declined since then. I even adjusted the boost actuator all the way to the one extreme and it doesn't have much effect like it used to when I would adjust it.

The dealer called earlier, they found another oil leak. My Mobil 1 filter is leaking really bad. That's what leaving the big puddle in the garage, but the timing chain cover is still leaking a little. They told me they need to replace the oil filter, but they won't put a Mobil 1 on, so I told them put a motorcraft like they wanted and I'll change it when I get the truck back.

I hate letting them put on the oil filter. Oil change 101, put oil on the seal of the filter before installing it. They never take the time to do that, and they tighten way too tight, you should be able to unscrew the filter with your hand.

SILVER2000SVT
01-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Got the truck back this evening. They replace the waste gate actuator. On the way home I hit 11PSI!:banana:

I knew I had a problem, It just really sucks that it took a year and a half of running 6-7psi to find it. I had fun roasting the tires leaving the stoplights. For the past 6months it would barely bark the tires from a complete stop if I wasn't running my pulley or chip.

Jason