PDA

View Full Version : 6# Time

bobbywade69
01-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Hey Jeff I think its time for me to get the 6#er or maybe the 10#:d But I like the #'s u put down even though it was hot, we'll have to go again so all of us can put down our 400/500 marks!:tu:

03LightningRocks
01-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Hey Jeff I think its time for me to get the 6#er or maybe the 10#:d But I like the #'s u put down even though it was hot, we'll have to go again so all of us can put down our 400/500 marks!:tu:

I thought I would share my experience with you. When I went from 4 to six lbs of boost, I only gained 14 H.P. and about 6 lbs of torque. When I went to the 8 lbs from the six, my gain was maybe 8-10 H.P.

The point being, our factory superchargers seem to apply the law of diminishing returns pretty quick after 12lbs of boost. It helped some for the track to put the spacer on it. At least the plenum stayed cooler for back to back runs.

Rocks

PoorSvtman
01-06-2004, 09:37 PM

Yea we need another dyno day. I want to see what numbers im putting down. Im already itching to go faster and boost more :d

Alpine
01-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Hey Jeff I think its time for me to get the 6#er or maybe the 10#:d But I like the #'s u put down even though it was hot, we'll have to go again so all of us can put down our 400/500 marks!:tu::bows 6#.....:tu:

StormShadow
01-06-2004, 11:41 PM
I thought I would share my experience with you. When I went from 4 to six lbs of boost, I only gained 14 H.P. and about 6 lbs of torque. When I went to the 8 lbs from the six, my gain was maybe 8-10 H.P.

The point being, our factory superchargers seem to apply the law of diminishing returns pretty quick after 12lbs of boost. It helped some for the track to put the spacer on it. At least the plenum stayed cooler for back to back runs.

Rocks
Hmm.. thats interesting. I thought you'd get more torque than hp.

02BOLT
01-07-2004, 12:40 AM

Rocks

Hey Ron, I thought you were running a 6lb 'er. When did you put the 8lb 'er on her?

Bad Bobby, If you decide to go to the 6lb 'er, make sure you keep your driving habits in check especially in this colder weather. The truck will definitely make more power and torque, but it will also place more stress on the reciprocating assembly, due to the higher cylinder pressures being generated by the larger pulley. Just a little FYI:tu:

Later,
Rob:burnout:

03LightningRocks
01-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Hmm.. thats interesting. I thought you'd get more torque than hp.
So did I. It was a bit dissapointing. I believe the reason is the extra heat the factory supercharger generates.

Rocks

03LightningRocks
01-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Hey Ron, I thought you were running a 6lb 'er. When did you put the 8lb 'er on her?

Later,
Rob:burnout:
I do have a six pound lower....and a two upper.

That causes another situation to come up. I have a Metco, six pound, which appears to actually do about 5 pounds. My "2" lb upper, seems to put out 1.5 pounds. Having long tubes and high flow cats, along with the single blade throttle body and the cold air intake...combine to reduce the "read" boost pressure due to less exhaust/intake restriction.

The point of bringing that up is to let people know that one mans 6 pounder, may be another mans 8 pounder.....so be careful in choosing your pulley supplier and know what your getting.

FWIW.....My truck pegs just a pube over 15lbs total boost going down the track at WOT.

Rocks:tu:

cpeapea
01-07-2004, 07:35 PM
boost is a relevant term. put ported heads on then see what happens :D your boost will drop as well with LT's but your hp will go up.

02BOLT
01-07-2004, 08:07 PM
More power with LESS cylinder pressure is ALWAYS a GOOD thing!:tu:

Boost is basically just a measure of pressure present in the intake tract.

Also...FYI...(A) Modifications to the intake tract (before the blower) will increase boost pressure, due to less inlet restriction which enables more air to enter the motor.(Cold Air Intakes and Single Blade T-bodies for example.)
(B) Modifications made to the motor after the blower, such as ported heads, and Long Tubes will decrease the boost pressure, due to the fact that they help enable the air to enter and exit the combustion chamber more efficiently.

Just thought I'd throw that in there...:)

Alpine
01-07-2004, 08:35 PM

Also...FYI...(A) Modifications to the intake tract (before the blower) will increase boost pressure, due to less inlet restriction which enables more air to enter the motor.(Cold Air Intakes and Single Blade T-bodies for example.)
(B) Modifications made to the motor after the blower, such as ported heads, and Long Tubes will decrease the boost pressure, due to the fact that they help enable the air to enter and exit the combustion chamber more efficiently.

:eek2: Mr. smartie pants....:tongue:

:vomit: ......Just thought I would throw that at ya!

03LightningRocks
01-07-2004, 08:36 PM

True, if they are each done independently of each other. The question I have is when both are done at the same time, do they cancel each other out, or does one have more affect than the other. I believe I was told that the high flow cats and long tubes will drop more boost than the other end will give/add.

The more I think about it the more I am beginning to believe that the true gains from intake mods are only seen if the exhaust mods are done.

We do know for sure that a decrease in airflow restriction is easier on the motor.

02BOLT
01-07-2004, 09:32 PM
True, if they are each done independently of each other. The question I have is when both are done at the same time, do they cancel each other out, or does one have more affect than the other. I believe I was told that the high flow cats and long tubes will drop more boost than the other end will give/add.

The more I think about it the more I am beginning to believe that the true gains from intake mods are only seen if the exhaust mods are done.

We do know for sure that a decrease in airflow restriction is easier on the motor.

10-4:D Good point.

Hey Jefferey......Yer killin me:evil