PDA

View Full Version : Cats causing code or bad O2 sensor?

f150freak
01-14-2004, 04:28 AM
Ok, for about 5 or 6 months now i've had high flow cats on my truck, and never had a single problem with my O2 sensors. Now all of a sudden I am getting a P0136 code (O2 sensor fault, Bank 1 Sensor 2). I have cleared the code 4 times so far, and it keeps comming back after a little over 24 hours. I'm thinking I actually have an O2 sensor that took a crap on me, but beacuse of my cats i'm not 100% sure. If it is my cats causing this problem shouldn't I also be getting a code for bank 2, sensor 2 as well?

Now, the fixing of this problem. I know the post cat O2 sensors really are not that important, at least I don't think they are. What is the best soultion for this? Try a new O2 sensor or maybe throw a set of MIL eliminators on my truck? And if the best answer is the MIL eliminators, do the ones for a late modle Mustang work(I can get thoes pretty cheap)?

Thanks

cpeapea
01-14-2004, 06:49 AM
Ok, for about 5 or 6 months now i've had high flow cats on my truck, and never had a single problem with my O2 sensors. Now all of a sudden I am getting a P0136 code (O2 sensor fault, Bank 1 Sensor 2). I have cleared the code 4 times so far, and it keeps comming back after a little over 24 hours. I'm thinking I actually have an O2 sensor that took a crap on me, but beacuse of my cats i'm not 100% sure. If it is my cats causing this problem shouldn't I also be getting a code for bank 2, sensor 2 as well?

Now, the fixing of this problem. I know the post cat O2 sensors really are not that important, at least I don't think they are. What is the best soultion for this? Try a new O2 sensor or maybe throw a set of MIL eliminators on my truck? And if the best answer is the MIL eliminators, do the ones for a late modle Mustang work(I can get thoes pretty cheap)?

Thanks
if you have a chip you can have it burned to ignore the rear o2s. it might be cheaper than mils

jmlay
01-14-2004, 08:23 AM
Swap the 2 rear sensors and see if the code moves to the other bank, if it does it is the sensor. Remember the front and rear sensors are different!
Mike