PDA

View Full Version : The rising cost of vet care..

L8 APEX
01-19-2004, 11:33 PM
I noticed about ten years ago the price of veteranary care for pets has gone through the roof. These 24hr hospitals and clinics have popped up on every corner. I have even seen Doggy HMO's offered:eek2: . I have always used the family vet for the last 26 years. He is a 70 something year old man now. He graduated A&M in the 40's! I have never left his office owing him more than 20-30 bucks and a hand shake. One time I had an urgent issue with the dog and went to a new modern local vet clinic. I had to fill out triplicate forms, pay an office visit fee for a damn dog! It ended up being nothing big and still cost me 80 bucks for about 10 minutes of office time:Bullshit . I just don't think a pet should have such a high cost of vet care, they are not HUMANS. The delima is my doc is getting old and when he quits I know I will be forced to go to a new fangled vet joint:hammer: . My old dog is getting arthitis I assume, one shoulder is getting worse. I may have to rename him Tripod soon:( .

PoorSvtman
01-19-2004, 11:53 PM
Hell i wish i had your vet. Few months ago i hade to pay over $400 just for 2 visits. My puppy was sick as hell. Ended up having about 6 kidney stones the size of quaters. So after vet bills, Medication to break the stones down and into 3 the size of some small jelly beans, x-rays and a new diet of medicated dog food has burned me out. But mom was there to help.

But I cant complain about my vet. Its a small office and there always nice and some of them know my mom by name because she always takes her in for me. If you want the info of my vet i can get if for you.

Winterhawk
01-20-2004, 12:00 AM
Its out of control, I spend about 1k every year on my pet, Its just like having another child. But we love him. Anyone knows of a good vet. thats afortable post it.

my2002lightning
01-20-2004, 12:15 AM
FWIW,

A few years ago, my ex-gf Jennifer of 8 years (pre-Laney) referred me to a Dr. Jo Anne Green in Wynnewood, OK. to get Pete's teeth taken care of. Basically, Pete (red-heeler cow-dog who is Junior's dad) was 100 yrs.+ in dog years and his teeth were falling out. He got in a dog-fight and got a bunch of them knocked out and hanging in his gums.:eek2:

Pretty much pro-bono and ~$40, she did surgery and gave him a bunch of medicine. Basically, she's made her $$$ back in the day and she's now into the philosophical end of veterinary medicine practice.

Here's what I've found so far as to contact info: http://www.gwpark.org/news6.html

If you go, check out her husband's deer-ranch! My brother Regan says he has 10-ptrs running around like cattle.

Hope the info. helps...

Ronald

Silver_2000
01-20-2004, 12:22 AM
Lets see - 2 - 13+ year old cocker spaniels. I got custody in the divorce.

One has had ACL surgery, a week at Cornell Vet Hosp for Epilepsy, Both ear canals removed due to ear infections. Epilepsy medicine for seems like 10 years. Now he is growing tumors. One on his side is 2/3 the size of a tennis ball - the vet says leave it. He also has a mushroom like tumor on his stomach that the head falls off of every month or 2.... He has been cut on enough. i dont think Im going to have anything done to the tumors....

In response to your question about costs ... Who should make more your vet or your mechanic ?

Doug

L8 APEX
01-20-2004, 12:33 AM
I am just slow to come around on this stuff. It seems like these high tech vets are coming up with stuff that isn't possible for dogs. They diagnose them alike humans and charge likewise. I know if I took any dog first to my old vet and then to a new vet. The new vet would find some expensive BS to nail me for. I can't believe a pup had stones, those take a lot of time to build up. My Mom goes to a tech vet and her dog is on depression meds, butt gland drainings and a host of other BS diagnosis my Step Dad debates before paying.

Silver_2000
01-20-2004, 01:03 AM
I am just slow to come around on this stuff. It seems like these high tech vets are coming up with stuff that isn't possible for dogs. They diagnose them alike humans and charge likewise. I know if I took any dog first to my old vet and then to a new vet. The new vet would find some expensive BS to nail me for. I can't believe a pup had stones, those take a lot of time to build up. My Mom goes to a tech vet and her dog is on depression meds, butt gland drainings and a host of other BS diagnosis my Step Dad debates before paying.
Not all vets are that way. I have been using the same vet for years. If you want him to go hog wild he can or he can take a more common sense approach... MANY folks EXEPCT human like care. So you pay for it. You need to develop a relation ship with a decent vet. Back to my car analogy. Dont you take the time to develop a relationship with your service writer or mechanic ???

The $$$$ gland draining is a good one.. That should be done by the groomer. its not rocket science.

Doug

Wht95Lightning
01-20-2004, 08:23 AM
We got our Collie "Boris" from Ft. Worth Animal Control and when we did, they gave us a number to call for insurance. $10.00 per month and it covers everything, including accidents (swallowing model trucks, etc.) up to $1000 per incident and no limit.
866-275-PETS

Silver_2000
01-20-2004, 09:08 AM
We got our Collie "Boris" from Ft. Worth Animal Control and when we did, they gave us a number to call for insurance. $10.00 per month and it covers everything, including accidents (swallowing model trucks, etc.) up to $1000 per incident and no limit.
866-275-PETS
Here is a link to that company http://www.petcareinsurance.com/us/dog/index.asp

PoorSvtman
01-20-2004, 09:25 AM

Yea we clouldnt believe she had stones. But we also dont know exactly how old she is. We found her. She was covered in fleas, had worms. Now after 3 years she still the happiest and friendliest lil dog. Dosent listen to well sometimes but shes fun and always happy. :cool:

George G.
01-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Well, I'm glad there are people like all of y'all. I'm not saying I don't have a heart, I'm just not the type to spend that kind of money on a pet. If I didn't have to worry about money, maybe it would be different. I'm more the type to take a miserable or suffering dog out back and..... Anyway, I'm glad there are people who can take care of pets.:tu:

Wht95Lightning
01-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Well, I'm glad there are people like all of y'all. I'm not saying I don't have a heart, I'm just not the type to spend that kind of money on a pet. If I didn't have to worry about money, maybe it would be different. I'm more the type to take a miserable or suffering dog out back and..... Anyway, I'm glad there are people who can take care of pets.:tu:
I hear ya. It can get really insane. That's why I got the insurance. I have spent thousands on muts. Hell, I damn near bankrupt myself on a sick german shepherd puppy back in 91. He turned out to be an awesome dog though once he got healthy. Too bad the X got him in the divorce. :hammer: .

Yeah, it sounds stupid but what the hell, I love dogs.

Sixpipes
01-20-2004, 01:06 PM
You guys should try maintaining a Go_rila. Makes your canine bills sound real cheap. :cool:

blueoval01
01-20-2004, 01:19 PM
You guys should try maintaining a Go_rila. Makes your canine bills sound real cheap. :cool: .......... or kids in college .......:hammer:

dboat
01-20-2004, 08:14 PM
no Go_rila, no kids in college, but I did spend 1000 on my 13 yr old Pom just before I had to put him down trying to save him.. He was with me just after I got married the first time and he was the only one with me when I moved to KC from Houston and didnt know a soul there except the people that I worked with at the time. He was my only friend and was there for me every day when I came home.. unrequited love.. that is why we do it...

and I would do it again in a second...

Dana

jcblack
01-20-2004, 09:59 PM
My Uncle is a Vet. He graduated from A&M too. You can ask him a question and he will give you an answer right then and there. If anyone needs his number, you can PM me.

L8 APEX
01-20-2004, 10:49 PM
Anyone with a good recomendation for a local Arlington area vet please Email me the info. The old vet is in Cockrel Hill and only works 4 hours a day M, W, F. part of being 74 I guess. He doesn't see large dogs anymore either becasue he can't get out of the way fast enough or pick them up. He will see my 96lb Shepherd jsut because he behaves and I assist him with the check up. I don't know if he does Xrays anymore either. I basically use him for annual checkups and shots. For this problem I may have to fork over some high tech money. I think it is either arthritis, or tumor related:(
I am driving on bald tires now because I can't afford new ones. I can probably cover an office visit and Xray for the dog. I am not sure past that.. I can now feel for a good friends situation a few months back. Her dog had a blood disorder and the vet said it would die in a week. Her option was a 25% chance that a blood transfusion would save its life. But it was a $850 procedure she didn't have and the odds weren't favorable. So she brought the dog home and three days later we burried it in her back yard. It is a tight pickle to draw the line on a pet. But some life situations force your hand. We'll see what the say but I have a feeling it won't be good.

PoorSvtman
01-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Just pmed you with my vets info.

Alos i can get some good deals on tires sometimes. Let me know what you want and size and i can make a call and see what kind of prices and if i can get them

PoorSvtman
01-20-2004, 11:20 PM
no Go_rila, no kids in college, but I did spend 1000 on my 13 yr old Pom just before I had to put him down trying to save him.. He was with me just after I got married the first time and he was the only one with me when I moved to KC from Houston and didnt know a soul there except the people that I worked with at the time. He was my only friend and was there for me every day when I came home.. unrequited love.. that is why we do it...

and I would do it again in a second...

Dana
I love coming home every day my dog greating me at the door and almos jumping up to my face trying to lick me cause shes so happy. I never new a little lasa opsa/shitzu mix could jump so damn high.

Since all this talk about our pets heres Missy helping me clean grime off my old vw bug after pulling the motor out
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/419missy2.jpg

L8 APEX
01-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Got the PM:tu: Nitto 555ZR stock size 295/45/18's. My Discount guy said 190 each installed plus tax. Here is a pic of mine it looks like a Drag Radial:eek2:
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15MVC-004F.JPG
Here is what it should look like.
http://nittotire.com/img/img_555_1.jpg

PoorSvtman
01-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Ill make a call 2morow. If you dont have a tire machine at your shop i could save you some money and do it at my work one saturday or something