PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Miller Blood Drive

Sixpipes
01-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Just wanted to ask for help on behalf of a good friend of mine.

Ronnie & Renee Miller's 21 year-old son, Jordan, was in a motocross accident on Saturday, January 24 in Nocona, TX. He fell on a large jump and was thrown to the ground breaking his collar bone. His motorcycle bounced up in the air and landed on his lower right abdomen exhaust-pipe first. The force of the pipe's blow lacerated his liver along with tearing his upper bowel and lacerating his vena cava. He was Care Flighted to Wichita Falls where he underwent emergency surgery. The vena cava and bowel were temporarily repaired, but the doctors chose not to address the liver problem immediately. His liver was "packed" and he was closed up in order to stabilize his condition. He has taken 45 units of blood since the injury with more being flown in from Tulsa and Dallas. He made it through Saturday and Sunday night, but it will be sometime before the doctors know if he will recover.

Currently, he is making some small improvements and if that continues, the doctors will try to do an MRI late this afternoon to see if he has any additional broken bones. The doctors are trying to get him through the first 48 to 72 hours in order to be able to open him back up and make additional repairs as needed.

We are setting up an account at the Carter Blood Center that will allow anyone to go to a Carter location and donate on Jordan's behalf. Just to let you guys know, blood is a precious commodity and when you need it, it costs a ton of money. Next time you are sitting around wishing you could do something that really matters, consider giving blood. Your body will replace what you give within 6 weeks. The reality is, Ronnie's son may not make it, but I know I can do something to help the family regardless of the outcome. Think about it. If you would consider giving blood, click on the link below to find out where the nearest blood drive is and give the gift of life. :cool:

http://iwebb.carterbloodcare.org/pls/iwebb/DRLOC.SPONSIGN

Silver_2000
01-26-2004, 05:04 PM
I would love to help - But the blood banks wont take my blood...

In the past ( pre diabetes ) I gave a couple gallons... But now they refuse it because of small blood vessel damage. Im Not sure what one has to do with the other but ... Anyway ...

Surely TALON can find time to donate some blood for this cause...

Doug

98Cobra
01-26-2004, 05:37 PM
I would love to help - But the blood banks wont take my blood...

In the past ( pre diabetes ) I gave a couple gallons... But now they refuse it because of small blood vessel damage. Im Not sure what one has to do with the other but ... Anyway ...

Surely TALON can find time to donate some blood for this cause...

Doug
I think its because you are a more likely candidate for infection/etc. with diabetes, and they don't want to be liable if they stick you and you develop something. :(

That sucks Dennis, I hope he pulls through.

99WhiteBeast
01-26-2004, 11:48 PM
I'm on it- Come on guys this only takes a about 45 minutes of your time and this could really help.

skalywags
01-26-2004, 11:56 PM
I will try. I haven't tried giving blood since I had my accident, but hopefully they will take it. Depends on what they say when on perscription drugs. It didn't say what blood type. I think I am O+. Is there a way to find out? Or did I miss it. If I can go tomorrow, I will ask and post it. I just hope everything comes out ok for him.

I ride at that place fairly often, and almost went there Saturday.

my2002lightning
01-27-2004, 03:20 AM
Dennis,

What is the youngster's status, now? Chances are they "probably" already have the required pints of blood provided he's in a quality medical facility.

I hope he pulls out OK.

My Mom lost her right arm in an industrial accident back in '86. I remember picking up the phone that Thursday night in '86 and hearing the frantic news as if it were 5 minutes ago. :(

Mom was in-and-out in 13 days. The Doctors/Nurses were amazed someone was in such good health to with-stand that much trauma and recoup.
Corporate America and the "legal" system! :flaming: :hammer:

Ronald

99WhiteBeast
01-27-2004, 08:00 AM
I believe when you donate in someone's name they give a pint of the required type needed for every pint donated.
It is a way to offset the cost.
They will tell you what type you are when you donate.

Sixpipes
01-27-2004, 08:03 AM
What is the youngster's status, now? Chances are they "probably" already have the required pints of blood provided he's in a quality medical facility.
Blood type is not important so whatever type you have is fine. Jordan is scheduled for more surgery today and the request to donate is not so he will have enough to get through the surgery. I am talking about multiple life-threatening injuries plus massive blood lost complications here so his situation is very grave.

The nations blood supply is always low and when a patient has to make a withdrawl due to illness or injury, the cost can be astronomical. Did you know that a full 20% of the nations blood supply is imported from other countries? Carter Blood Bank has a program that allows blood to be given in a person's name and therefore receive credit against the amount they used.

In banking terms, he has made a large withdrawl and could use a bunch of credits to keep from being overdrawn. Hope this clarifies the request. Regardless of whether he makes it, the family could really use your help.

In addition to the Carter Blood Bank account, we are setting up blood drives at Denton Bible Church, First Baptist Church (Denton), and Little Elm High School. Please donate. You'll be glad you did. :cool:

99WhiteBeast
01-27-2004, 08:42 AM
Here's a better link to find a center in your area

http://www.carterbloodcare.org/wsf/donorcenter.htm

Nuhklz
01-27-2004, 10:56 AM
I'll be back in town the end of the week and will take care of it then. My best thoughts to the family.

Sixpipes
01-27-2004, 12:50 PM
Anyone that donates will receive a free beer from yours truly at the next meeting.

The Carter account is now set up in the name of Jordan Miller / Sponsor #39877. Thanks for the interest. :cool:

Nuhklz
01-27-2004, 01:24 PM
Anyone that donates will receive a free beer from yours truly at the next meeting.

It's not necessary but I won't refuse :cool: :beer:

Sixpipes
01-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Sometimes people will do anything for beer. I'm just testing a theory. :cool:

99WhiteBeast
01-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Make mine a double- just kidding not necessary but did give 2 pints.

Feels good to get the oil changed and to help someone out:tu:

I hope Jordan pulls through

Silver_2000
01-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Make mine a double- just kidding not necessary but did give 2 pints.

Feels good to get the oil changed and to help someone out:tu:

I hope Jordan pulls through
uhh .. you cant give 2 pints in one day .....can you ?

99WhiteBeast
01-27-2004, 06:56 PM
uhh .. you cant give 2 pints in one day .....can you ?
Yep only the red blood cells- they take out a pint at a time, pump back in the plasma and a little saline- and then get the other- very similar to dialysis

my2002lightning
01-27-2004, 07:23 PM
Dennis,

I'll see what I can do. FYI, I'm slated to start a high-stress short-term IT gig (downtown Dallas) on Monday and can't risk any "complications" right now giving a pint of blood or more. I'm extremely busy studying and hitting the gym to manage stress levels.:hammer:

I have this phobia about needles/knives/sharp things and almost blacked-out the last time they took a blood-sample for a life-insurance policy.

It's not the "effort" or anything for a good-cause, etc. A co-worker / mountain-biking friend of mine back in Tulsa talked me into entering the MS-150. I rode 150 miles in ONE WEEKEND from Tulsa to south of Muskogee on my mountain bike and raised over $300 for Muscular Dystrophy. I was Lance Armstrong for a weekend! :D

The best part was a woman with MS called me at work and PERSONALLY thanked me for my efforts. I'd do it all over again, too! :tu:

I hope the young-man's condition improves.

Ronald

Nuhklz
01-28-2004, 08:40 AM
... manage stress levels.:hammer:

Ronald
I find that beer and rice hunting helps :tu:

Sixpipes
01-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Jordan came through yesterday's surgery without any further complications and looks like no additional surgery is planned. After removing all the packing around his liver from Saturday, his kidneys started functioning on their own so that is great knews. He is still very sick and is subject to complication from surgery and massive blood loss, but he is a strong young man and youth is on his side. Your prayers are appreciated and looks like I owe Steve 2 beers. :tongue:

skalywags
01-29-2004, 11:18 PM
Good to hear things are looking a little better. I have an appt to give in Addison at 8 a.m. I'll make sure that get the donor info. I posted this to get this to the top, too, so no one forgets about the need to give.

skalywags
01-30-2004, 08:04 PM
went to Carter today. I found out something cool, but because they took so long I didn't get to it this time. If you go up there and plan on about 30 -40 minutes of donating time, plus the wait, you can give Double Red Blood cells. The separating is done there, and by doing it they get twice the good blood cells from you, but still take about the same amount. Don't ask me how it works, but you cau ask or probaly look it up on the website. It counts as two donations. And if you do it, Dennis should officially owe you 2 beers.
I am going to find out more before I go back there.

Dennis, I don;t know why I didn;t think of it until today, but I posted this on the Tx Cross Country racing Assoc (TCCRA) too. They have about 1500+ members so maybe we can get some more help from them.

Sixpipes
01-31-2004, 10:15 AM
Really appreciate all the help guys. I went to see Jordan last night. He is still in critical condition, but making very small improvements every day. He is still heavily sedated and the doctors are non commital on his full recovery at this point.

Little Elm High School has maxed out their blood drive slots (80 units) and are considering another one if they can get more people to sign up. The family covets your thoughts and prayers. :cool:

Silver_2000
01-31-2004, 10:19 AM
Dennis

Since I cant give my cells...If there is something I can do let me know...

Doug

skalywags
02-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Dennis, is he still in Witchita falls. One of the TCCRA guys lives about two miles from there, he said he would like to see if there was anything he could do to help the family.

Sixpipes
02-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Jordan had another surgery this morning, but he is doing OK. Ronnie & Renee will be on the 3rd floor (ICU Waiting Room). They are staying in the hospitality room ($30/night) and probably will be there for another 4-6 weeks if things go well. Tell him to give them a call if he gets a chance. Thanks. :cool:

Dennis, is he still in Witchita falls. One of the TCCRA guys lives about two miles from there, he said he would like to see if there was anything he could do to help the family.

skalywags
02-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Jordan had another surgery this morning, but he is doing OK. Ronnie & Renee will be on the 3rd floor (ICU Waiting Room). They are staying in the hospitality room ($30/night) and probably will be there for another 4-6 weeks if things go well. Tell him to give them a call if he gets a chance. Thanks. :cool:
I'll copy this over there so he knows, and some of the others in that club know as well. I bet some of them know him, but haven't read the post yet since a lot of them were out racing this weekend. Like the L's, you find out the dirt bike world is actually pretty small.

skalywags
02-03-2004, 12:03 AM
If you want more info on Jordan's condition - http://www.motoplayground.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1758

Nuhklz
02-06-2004, 08:15 AM
A friend of mine who is in the motorcycle racing community passed this along:

http://www.mxcrazy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=848. I thought it might be of interest.

Sixpipes
02-08-2004, 04:03 PM
A number of guys asked about Jordan's condition at the meeting on Thursday so I figured I'd give ya'll an update.

I wish I had great news about how things are going, but progress has been very slow. Last week he started getting jaundice which is a sure sign of liver issues. The ammonia level in his blood increased to the point that it caused his brain to swell. The doctors are battling the problem and have been able to lower the ammonia level, but not completely control it. The excess pressure on his brain has caused him to slip into a coma. We all are continuing to cling to even the smallest improvements as a sign that things will get better. I still believe in miracles and know that with God anything is possible. We continue to covet your prayers for Jordan and his family.

Recent blood drives and donations at Little Elm High School and one of the high schools (Ryan I think) in Denton have produced in excess of 200 units of blood. We will get an updated number next week from Carter Blood Bank. Thanks to everyone who has helped out. As Larry has posted, the Nocona track where Jordan's accident occurred is putting on a race to raise funds for Jordan and the family. There is also a benefit fund set up at Farmers and Merchants bank in Denton. :cool:

blueoval01
02-08-2004, 05:28 PM
<sigh> How aweful. Thanks for the update, Dennis.
Sounds like the family has some great support behind them.
I've requested that Jordan be included in our churches daily prayer list.

skalywags
02-09-2004, 08:03 PM
here is the info on the fund that is set up for Jordan Miller

Farmers and Merchants State Bank
416 West University Drive
Denton Tx. 76201

BE SURE to put THE JORDAN MILLER FUND so they know where to send it to.

Sixpipes
02-09-2004, 10:32 PM
I am sad to report that Jordan passed away at approximately 3:45 this afternoon.

skalywags
02-10-2004, 01:29 AM
Dennis, I just got this news and was sadly going to post it. Though I didn't know him, I had seen him ride out at Nocona. Kinda like with the L's, you get that bond with others that have the same love of something that you have, and when something happens like this, you really hope that all the small things each of us can do will help. Sadly it didn't this, time. Maybe there is something we can do for his family. Contributions, helping, something to make this a little less painful for them if that is possible.

The sad thing,too, is I just found out a couple days ago another guy that I had ridden with last year at the races, and who was helping me try to get faster, may be fighting a battle somewhat the same. It looks liek his chances of pulling through are much better, but he will be facing some brutal rehab, and hopefully will recover from his head injury.

my2002lightning
02-10-2004, 01:49 AM
Dennis,

Very sorry to hear this news. :( I'm sure he's in a better / more peaceful place now.

Ronald

Nuhklz
02-10-2004, 08:02 AM
I am sad to report that Jordan passed away at approximately 3:45 this afternoon.
Sorry to hear that.