PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about Slicks

scott015
01-27-2004, 02:19 PM
i really did have alot of fun at the track the other night.... i would like to do it more often... but im a little hesitant on my F1s... well for obvious reasons

before I talk about the slicks... i got a serious question to ask. This truck is a daily driver for me and has 70k miles. The engine was replaced around 40k miles so its fairly new... but everything else has 70k miles. Other than the tires, what effect does racing at track have on a truck? Basically Im asking.... is it safe? When driving around town, i baby it like im a grandma... but just curious if racing at track, should I be "willing" to do alot of replacing? I am just not made of money, and cant really afford to be replacing trannys, engines, etc ... so i would just like to know what im getting myself into before it gets too late...

anyway, on to my real question... slicks... first, i would like someone to explain to me how a completely 'bald' tire helps traction.... i dont quite understand....

and if a run was done EXACTLY the same, one on F1s and another on slicks... how much of a ET difference would there be? .2 or something?

now, whats a good choice but CHEAP? someone pointed out these rims for only $100.. is this a good size, etc? basically, what do yall experts reccomend in rims and tire choices?

http://www.macromotive.com/shopping/goShopping.cfm?sid=E24CA461573441A784C602BC87702A6 8&tag=3.2.107.0.4284.0&page=2

thanks again, you guys seem to always know the answers

Band
01-27-2004, 02:37 PM
anyway, on to my real question... slicks... first, i would like someone to explain to me how a completely 'bald' tire helps traction.... i dont quite understand....

and if a run was done EXACTLY the same, one on F1s and another on slicks... how much of a ET difference would there be? .2 or something?

now, whats a good choice but CHEAP? someone pointed out these rims for only $100.. is this a good size, etc? basically, what do yall experts reccomend in rims and tire choices?

http://www.macromotive.com/shopping/goShopping.cfm?sid=E24CA461573441A784C602BC87702A6 8&tag=3.2.107.0.4284.0&page=2

thanks again, you guys seem to always know the answers

As for bald vs treaded. Tread is mainly for all purpose weather like rain (the tread is used as a channel).

No tread gives you more rubber surface. Like drag radials have tread, but more surface to grab more ground...

Also, slicks are an extremely soft rubber that gets real sticky and tacky when they get hot. That's why you do burn outs before you run down the track..

As for ET gain, i don't know. I do know it depends on how much traction you are losing on your F1's...(ie. my stock truck does well with F1's, slicks wouldn't give me much more traction. You peal out alot in F1's so slicks will give you more ET gain than it would me.)

Cost. I don't have a clue, i have not been shopping for them yet :)

Crawford
01-27-2004, 02:53 PM
As far as safety lets hear exactly what mods you have first.
Band is right on the reasons slicks are better than street tires.
The differences are pretty significant ET wise you also gain consistancy.
What year is your truck? If its a 99 or 00 you have 3.55 gears and you should go with a 26 inch tall slick. If its an 01 or up you have 3.73 gears and you should use a 28 inch tall slick. If you want to get a used set of slicks PM andy cain, I think his are still for sale, they are 26 inch tall slicks. Good luck.

Band
01-27-2004, 02:56 PM
He does have traction bars...

scott015
01-27-2004, 03:03 PM
here are my mods:

2000 Lightning
4lb
90 mass air
it20 plugs
jlp ram air kit (under front bumper)
rancho traction bars
2" rear shackles
psp tuned chip

i think thats about it as far as performance goes

andy_cain
01-27-2004, 03:11 PM
I have some 26X11.5X16 slicks and runners you can try if you want to see what improvements they make.

If your 60 foots are above 1.9 seconds, these should help.
As a rule of thumb, any .10 in the 60 foot should be good for at least .2 in the 1/4.
Traction bars help and prevent axle wrap as well.
If you are running under 14 seconds, you will need a drive shaft loop for safety rules.
Drive shafts are a weak link and racing fule tends to be hard on the fuel systems, I change my oil, oil filter (all Mobil 1), fuel filter and tranny fluid (mobil 1 ATF) after every run just for peace of mind:tu:
If memory serves me correctly, NoelVM has over 100K miles and races it all the time.
These trucks (if taken care of) are stronger than most people think...just ask "03Rocks":d

scott015
01-27-2004, 03:17 PM
andy, how much you asking for the tires/rims combo

also, my chip is not programmed for the race gas, i just run regular Shell gas...

andy_cain
01-27-2004, 03:26 PM
Chip doesn't need to necessarly be programed for race fuel.

Higher octane helps eliminate or minimize risk of detonation.
If you want the slicks and front runners (on american racing rims) you can have the whole set for $400.
The tire compound on the rear slicks (mt's) is from 2000 so they are not new, but have plenty of rubber left.
Crawford has used them before but for the most part, they just sit in the garage.
Not entirely unlike the truck:rll:

BUT...for all you doubters....how about this:D (no, I didn't drive it in the rain, just moved it out of the garage so I could work on another project I was playing with:evil

tliss
01-27-2004, 04:18 PM
BUT...for all you doubters....how about this:D (no, I didn't drive it in the rain, just moved it out of the garage so I could work on another project I was playing with:evil See...we told you it wouldn't melt if water touched it!

Tom

Crawford
01-27-2004, 04:34 PM
See...we told you it wouldn't melt if water touched it!

Tom
Dont tell Kressley that!!! :rll:

dboat
01-27-2004, 09:00 PM
Chip doesn't need to necessarly be programed for race fuel.

Higher octane helps eliminate or minimize risk of detonation.
If you want the slicks and front runners (on american racing rims) you can have the whole set for $400.
The tire compound on the rear slicks (mt's) is from 2000 so they are not new, but have plenty of rubber left.
Crawford has used them before but for the most part, they just sit in the garage.
Not entirely unlike the truck:rll:

BUT...for all you doubters....how about this:D (no, I didn't drive it in the rain, just moved it out of the garage so I could work on another project I was playing with:evil

Well I have seen it wet before but not this wet :eek2: .. I think Wayne is faking it and its not really his because he would NEVER let his truck out in the rain... :evil
Dana