PDA

View Full Version : SRT-10 Opinion....

tliss
01-30-2004, 02:51 PM
OK, got back from the test drive. Here is my opinion:

1) 1st, 3rd and 5th gears are very close together. 3rd is pretty hard to find, so I can see how guys driving SRT-10s will miss 3rd.
2) Shift throw from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd etc. is enormous. It shifts like a work truck.
3) Seat of the pants feel is equivalent to the seat of pants feel in my wife's 6-cyl. Jeep Liberty. It does not feel near as good as the Lightning, and does not feel like it has that kind of power. I am interested to see where the power band lies, because it does not appear to have it down low. It does come on as you pick up speed, but not like the Lightning.
4) It does not have that V8 rumble, and that is dissapointing.
5) The exhaust is way too tame and not nearly big enough. Sounds like a well-done ricer exhaust. I think it should be as obnoxious as you can get it.
6) Plug changes will be very easy, as the engine bay does not have nearly the amount of wires and hoses as does the Lightning.

Bottom line, the Lightning feels better, sounds better, and from what I could feel, runs better. If I had money to burn I would buy one to put it in my collection of muscle cars, but since I don't have the fundage, it'll be a hard sale convincing me to drop $45K on it, especially since I was struck by Lightning first!

Tom

tliss
01-30-2004, 03:11 PM
Money shot...this seems to be how it's supposed to be done by Lightning owners.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/26MVC-069F.JPG

Thanks for taking the pics, Ronald!!:tu:

Tom

my2002lightning
01-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Tom,

No problem! I had fun.:tu:

Tom and I were commenting on how much bigger the Dodge is next to the L in person. It's taller, wider and sits higher.

Mine still LOOKS better! :D I do like the push-button ignition, though and the seat's have a lot of support!

One thing though... that hood scoop just dumps air straight into the engine bay and on top of the engine.

Here's a few more and I just uploaded a ton of them to my gallery, so check 'em out:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/317MVC-056F.JPG

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/317MVC-055F.JPG

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/317MVC-057F.JPG

Yes, those are TEXAS plates I'm hiding! http://www.ls1.com/forums/images/smilies/texas.gif

Ronald

Logan
01-30-2004, 04:01 PM
Nothin' will ever change the fact it's still a dodge...

Nuhklz
01-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Nice color.

The L looks so compact and ready to pounce compared to the other "truck".

03'svtlight
01-30-2004, 04:49 PM
good stuff :beer:

02BOLT
01-30-2004, 06:34 PM
Bad Tom,

Do you have some kinda hook-up or something. I'm really surprised they let ya take her for a test drive. You've gotta be one of the FIRST L owners to get to drive an SRT-10.:tu:

Later,
Rob:burnout:

cpeapea
01-30-2004, 07:08 PM
meh...its not that impressive for 500hp.

my2002lightning
01-30-2004, 07:34 PM
I've seen both now, but I'm more impressed with the '05/'06 L.

Both trucks have quite a presence in person...

Ronald

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/317DSC00623.JPG

tliss
01-30-2004, 07:39 PM
meh...its not that impressive for 500hp.
That's what I think. My 400HP sure feels stronger than their 500HP.

Rob, it's hard to believe, but the sales guy I deal with feels it easiest to sell a vehicle when the person interested gets to actually drive it. Quite a concept, and I think a lot of dealerships that carry these special vehicles forget that.

I may be the first Lightning owner to drive one, and that's why I wanted to share my comparitive opinions. having the six-speed is pretty cool, but these things are going get whooped up on at te drag strip all night and day until those guys figure out how to drive them. By the time it gets going (the hole shot will be hard and shifting gears will be harder) it'll be too late. The Lightning will easily take it out of the hole and if the driver doesn't shift it just right it will look just like that HALO video.

Tom

dboat
01-30-2004, 09:29 PM
So Tom,

wonder how the L will fare against one on a 60 mph roll on? you gotta think that the wont fare nearly as well... right?

Dana

tliss
01-30-2004, 11:54 PM
So Tom,

wonder how the L will fare against one on a 60 mph roll on? you gotta think that the wont fare nearly as well... right?

Dana
It was hard to tell. You really couldn't feel it when you put the pedal down. I didn't do any serious downshifting or anything like that, but most gears just generally didn't feel as strong as the Lightning.

Tom

03'svtlight
01-31-2004, 12:38 AM
It was hard to tell. You really couldn't feel it when you put the pedal down. I didn't do any serious downshifting or anything like that, but most gears just generally didn't feel as strong as the Lightning.

Tom
My friend buys new cars that are 'hot' items, and them turns around and sell them for over sticker. its must be a market for this because he is doing pretty well.my other friend keeps these vehicles at his place for him. Well, about three weeks ago, when the srt-10's first hit the streets, he had to at the shop. So you know what he did. :banana: :nono: He said the same thing you said Tom. he seems to think its really a detuned version of the original viper engine.

andy_cain
01-31-2004, 11:50 AM
May be more of a power to weight issue.
That thing looks like it is close to 6000 pounds and there looks to be alot more wind resistance than that of the Lightning.
I still think it would be cool just to have one parked in the garage, but I think given the cost, I could have a new Lightning, built motor and $10K worth of bling to boot:d
Makes you wonder what the cost on the Gen 3 "L" will look like.:evil
The Gen 3 is also 700 pounds heavier than ours and 2" wider....obviously it will take more pony's to propel it through the quarter as fast compared to the 380/360 stock that ours came with.

That Gen 3 is looking better and better to me all the time

QIK KAT
01-31-2004, 01:08 PM
Nice pics. Of the ford that is!:tu:

L8 APEX
01-31-2004, 05:00 PM
I never have liked the sound of Viper engines. It is like a burbling fart machine. The shifter is the beggest drawback form my view. What good is a stadard transmission if you miss or grind gears:confused: :hammer: . As for the power the truck weighs basically as much as 2 Vipers with only one engine:eek2: .

QIK KAT
01-31-2004, 05:40 PM
As norm on cheers will tell ya,:beer: Two beers are better than one if your already phat.:evil