PDA

View Full Version : Thought it would be later than sooner...

blueoval01
01-31-2004, 04:34 PM
.... I had got some inside info this week that since the company was not able to convince me to move to Florida (Main Office) and work there, that I would probably get terminated in 30 - 45 days.

Returned from lunch at Bonedaddys this afternoon only to find a Registered letter waiting for me.

I joined the ranks of those before me.
My 60 day termination notice.
Reason?: "Unable to relocate".

:( Bummer ......

andy_cain
01-31-2004, 04:35 PM
That sux:hammer:

Sorry to hear that

tliss
01-31-2004, 04:52 PM
Damn Mark...that sucks. Damn corporate a$$holes :flaming:

Tom

99WhiteBeast
01-31-2004, 05:06 PM
bummer Mark:(

L8 APEX
01-31-2004, 05:15 PM
I thought you were working contract labor/consulting independently?

QIK KAT
01-31-2004, 05:45 PM
Gotta love the corp. world........... Fu@#$n punks.:confused:

L8 APEX
01-31-2004, 05:51 PM
Gotta love the corp. world........... Fu@#$n punks.:confused:Quit following me around here you:postwhore .

QIK KAT
01-31-2004, 06:10 PM
:banana: GO,GO,GO.

my2002lightning
01-31-2004, 07:09 PM
Mark,

Sorry to hear that! I've been laid off plenty of times - it's no fun.:flaming:

Just get your resume "polished" and hit monster, dice, hotjobs and the like.

Good luck!:tu:

Ronald

dboat
01-31-2004, 07:51 PM
Mark,
Did they tell you that going in? Were you just dead set against a move?

Dana

blueoval01
01-31-2004, 09:53 PM
Terry, for a while I was contract/consulting, but they "Hired" me back as a employee. I told you that, didn't I?

Dana, my boss has wanted me to move out there for some time. Last June I gave it a go, but too many ties here to move the family and keeping two residences (Mortgage, commuting and all) was not affordable. Me and the boss discussed it in great detail then and he agreed that it wouldn't be cost effective.
Did they ever say that I would be terminated if I didn't move? No.

dboat
01-31-2004, 10:49 PM
Dana, my boss has wanted me to move out there for some time. Last June I gave it a go, but too many ties here to move the family and keeping two residences (Mortgage, commuting and all) was not affordable. Me and the boss discussed it in great detail then and he agreed that it wouldn't be cost effective.
Did they ever say that I would be terminated if I didn't move? No.

Man, that does suck.. because at least with me, it was my call. When I didnt take the job in Las Vegas, I knew it was over and my time was ending.. but to get it the way they did it to you.. just aint right...
:nono:

Dana

Crawford
02-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Mark,
Sorry to hear it man. I have been there. :(

skalywags
02-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Mark, what is it you do. Not all of is know. you never know one of may be able to help, give you a heads-up on a opening, or something.

blueoval01
02-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Mark, what is it you do. Not all of is know. you never know one of may be able to help, give you a heads-up on a opening, or something. Thanks Tom.
The company I worked for produces a software (Estimating & Manufacturing) for the Fenestration Industry (http://www.nfrc.org/).
http://www.nfrc.org/

My skills include:
Q & A Testing - Real time, not just running scripts to see if your code crashes.
Database Development & Administration - Interbase & SQL Server.
Top Level Software support.
I was the Top Level Software Trainer for 7 years.
Proficient in writing SQL.
Certified in Crystal Reports (3 years ago).

That is a brief synopsis.

skalywags
02-03-2004, 02:37 AM
I showed up to work today and found that 2 of my friends had been let go Friday. That happened after I left work, which was about 5:30. they were contractors. Not given any notice, just see ya later! Hell, I know one of them was called down to the front by his pimp at about 6;00, and told then that he wouldn't be coming back Monday. F'ing A$$ monkeys!

MrsMy2002Lightning
02-04-2004, 01:01 AM
That sucks Marky! You'll find another one real fast though. :) Need any books to read? hehe ;) I have a couple here.

By the way, Thanks again for letting me borrow those! I really appreciate it. I received a call about a job. They wanted me to test for Word, Excel, Access, etc., so I tested and they flipped over my scores. Been reading some on Jet Securities and Access lately to finish the database for my boss now.

Now I just need to get into the reading materials you sent home with me. :) Haven't heard anything back on the job though, that sucks!

Hope you find a new job real fast Junior! ;)

MrsMy2002Lightning
02-04-2004, 01:06 AM
Oh yeah! When I worked at WorldCom, I went in on a Friday to give my notice. Went to my Supervisor's desk and he had been laid off that morning. Went to my Manager's office and he had been laid off that morning. Went to my Senior Manager's office and she had been laid off too. I wasn't sure who the heck to resign to. LOL

So I finally asked this lady that had been a family friend for 20+ years who I was going to report to. She said OH You're on my team now! It was horrible to have to resign to a family friend. hehehe it sucked!

Then I found out that everyone on my team was at Hooters getting drunk. I should have waited 'till 5:00 when the others came back into the office to resign! LOL

my2002lightning
02-04-2004, 02:32 AM
I showed up to work today and found that 2 of my friends had been let go Friday. That happened after I left work, which was about 5:30. they were contractors. Not given any notice, just see ya later! Hell, I know one of them was called down to the front by his pimp at about 6;00, and told then that he wouldn't be coming back Monday. F'ing A$$ monkeys!Tom,

That's IT and contracting! I've been there many times...you work day-by-day...week-by-week. I've spoken on cell today with 2 IT friends of mine in the same boat as me on this subject. One's in Denver ...other in Virginia somewhere. They're homes are in Tulsa.

I'm looking high-and-low for stability and full-time work with Informatica (my software I've been working with since '00).

The trend now is 3-week "SWAT - get in / get out" gigs! Hourly rates with NO BENEFITS what so ever. :hammer:

I start Monday on my first 3-week "adventure" downtown Dallas. We'll see how it goes with this business/staffing model. :mad:

Ronald

skalywags
02-04-2004, 08:35 PM
good luck, Ronald! I have reminded the recruiters I talked to before that I knew some people still looking. I just keep hearing Dallas sucks, but if you like Kansas City there is a lot of work for some reason. Houston is doing alright, too, from what I'm told.
It looks like I may take a perm position until I can get out of IT. the offer is in the works right now. The benefits will be good, and the pay close to what I make whan I factor in I pay almost $900 month in insurance for me and my sons, and I can't hardly change jobs and get insurance since most insurances won't cover me now without a laundry list of preconditions.

Nuhklz
02-04-2004, 08:49 PM
...I start Monday on my first 3-week "adventure" downtown Dallas. We'll see how it goes with this business/staffing model. :mad:

Ronald
Good luck to both you and Mark.

I've experienced your frustration.

my2002lightning
02-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys! I have a few more "irons in the fire". It'll all work out.

I've actually considered a career change.

Ronald

blueoval01
02-05-2004, 09:01 AM
I've actually considered a career change.
Ronald As have I .......