PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question

scott015
02-03-2004, 10:32 AM
this might sound funny to most of you, but there has to be a first time for everyone....

well iv never changed brake pads before... never really had a car long enough to need to... but wifes Jeep Liberty is in need now at about 35k miles... Just Brakes said they would do it for $99 all 4 wheels....

im just curious... how hard is it? is it something I can do myself? or is it a pain in the rear and might as well pay the $99??? There is no doubt that i CAN do it... but just curious how 'easy' of a job is it... if its not too bad, id like to do it just so i have that under my belt....

PoorSvtman
02-03-2004, 12:00 PM
The fronts are disc, so those are pretty simple, If the rears are drums it can be a pain in the ass to do. Personaly i have never owned at car with rear drums yet so i havent done them yet.

Sandman
02-03-2004, 01:19 PM
I agree with poorsvtman... The disc brakes are really easy. If you have drums in the back... well those are a pain. They are not easy to get off. But, since most of the braking is done on the front end of the vehicle, the back breaks don't wear as much. I have almost 100k on my 98 f150 and I have never changed the drums in the back. I have had no problems and no squealing.:banana:

99WhiteBeast
02-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Most likely its 4 wheel disc on that Liberty since its new. If you have a decent set of tools it is no problem- about hour to 2 tops

$99 bucks ain't bad - you have to weigh what your time is worth vs what your pocket book can afford

George G.
02-03-2004, 03:26 PM
If they don't upsale you a crap load of work....then pay the 99 bucks. If they're rear drums, it's really not that much harder. But I don't know what that comes with. O'Reily's charges about 7-8 bucks to turn each rotor and drum. Then you buy the pads...prolly 30 bucks or so. You're already half way there.

George G.
02-03-2004, 03:31 PM
I agree with poorsvtman... The disc brakes are really easy. If you have drums in the back... well those are a pain. They are not easy to get off. But, since most of the braking is done on the front end of the vehicle, the back breaks don't wear as much. I have almost 100k on my 98 f150 and I have never changed the drums in the back. I have had no problems and no squealing.:banana:

I hope you've at least changed the pads and adjusted them. The fronts do most of the braking, yes, but without the rears being adjusted properly, you'll go through front pads like crazy. If you've never changed the shoes either, they're prolly glazed up...or you're down to the rivets.:rll: If you come up on a 2 tone HD, honk twice so I can move outta your way.

cpeapea
02-03-2004, 06:48 PM
pads are way easy

if you have drums then i either wish you good luck (if you do them yourself because they blow bigtime) or say that you should take it somewhere and atleast have them to the rears

bobbywade69
02-03-2004, 10:45 PM
I have a Liberty it is 4 wheel disc so it would be easy I say about 1 hour with 2 people plus time to get the rotors turned!:tu:

PoorSvtman
02-03-2004, 10:55 PM
I have a Liberty it is 4 wheel disc so it would be easy I say about 1 hour with 2 people plus time to get the rotors turned!:tu:
I guess you just voluntered your self to help him lol j/k.

bobbywade69
02-03-2004, 11:06 PM
Steve and I can do if he want todo it at Steve's house.

PoorSvtman
02-03-2004, 11:16 PM
Steve and I can do if he want todo it at Steve's house.

If not my garage is always open like steve's. Speaking of brakes, my front rotors are warped and im noticing it more :hammer:

bobbywade69
02-03-2004, 11:18 PM
We can do them too!!! Just better have the Green because L's cost more in Labor.:evil

PoorSvtman
02-03-2004, 11:22 PM
We can do them too!!! Just better have the Green because L's cost more in Labor.:evil

I know how to do brakes on my L, Basicly the same as chevys and the motor home brakes ive done. I need the green to get the slotted and dimples rotors first. But i must fix my cat that are falling apart and rattling.

scott015
02-04-2004, 09:47 AM
well what you guys charge me to do the brakes on the Liberty? ill have to go to autozone or pep boys or whereever and get the stuff.... but only thing is, wife and I are leaving for Austin this weekend... so we need done before Saturday.... so if thats a problem, i understand on short notice.... but ill just go to just brakes.... they are not real bad like they have been like this for months... but just recently about a week or 2 ago, we noticed its "squeking' so figure its time to do something before it gets worse

PoorSvtman
02-04-2004, 10:54 AM
well what you guys charge me to do the brakes on the Liberty? ill have to go to autozone or pep boys or whereever and get the stuff.... but only thing is, wife and I are leaving for Austin this weekend... so we need done before Saturday.... so if thats a problem, i understand on short notice.... but ill just go to just brakes.... they are not real bad like they have been like this for months... but just recently about a week or 2 ago, we noticed its "squeking' so figure its time to do something before it gets worse

Look to see if they need replacing. Just because they squeak dosent mean they need replacing. Brakes can squeak if they are parked outside and get wet/moist. Usualy after a good stop they stop squeaking. How many miles are on it?

I had 65k miles with alot of 100mph to 0mph stops on my civic with stock pads.

scott015
02-04-2004, 11:03 AM
well its not really like a wet squeak... its kinda a real high pitch squeel... i notice it when she leaves out of the driveway every morning... i dont drive her jeep often, so i dont know... but she says it does it alot.... and it has about 35k miles

Sandman
02-04-2004, 11:09 AM
I again agree with poor. Just because they are squeaking doesn't mean they need to be replaced. Most brake pads are metallic, and of course the rotors are made of metal. When metal rubs against metal, it squeaks. All you really have to do is pull the wheel off and see how much of the pad is left. Oh, and I wouldn't turn the rotor unless it was really warped... and then I would just recommend replacing it instead. I know it is a little more expensive, but my experience with turned rotors is that they warp much easier and faster.

George G.
02-04-2004, 12:33 PM
Yeah, if you still have pad material left, take them off and spray some disc brake quiet on them and put them back on.

bobbywade69
02-04-2004, 12:35 PM
My Liberty has 50k miles on her and still 1/2-3/4 of the pad is left mine squil all the time but stop after a hard brake.

Depending on how much they turn down a rotor, depends on how it will warp but most of the time it doesn't affect the rotor in any way!