PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I bought the engine...now wtf??

mardyn
02-19-2004, 06:26 PM
As many of you know, I've been looking for a Gen1 Lightning 351W to replace the 5.0 L in my car... Well, I bought the one ('95 model w/33K miles) up in New Jersey today... during our conversation on the details, the seller tells me that all Gen 1 Lightnings used a Speed Density FI. Can that be right? Either way, I'll be using the MAF FI that's currently on my car... just thought it was a bit strange.... your thoughts please..

Also thinking about changing to an OEM E303 Hydraulic Roller before installation in the car... any other ideas would be appreciated...
mardyn :D

min150mph
02-19-2004, 07:36 PM
Yes Gen1 used speed density.

99WhiteBeast
02-19-2004, 07:47 PM
David,
You don't necessarily have to convert to Mass Air as some guys are making SD trucks very, very fast. I think you should decide what your goals are for the car and then read up to decide which way to go.

Just spend some time over on NLOC in the Gen1 forum and you can spend many hours reading up on the subject of SD vs Mass Air

cpeapea
02-20-2004, 06:58 AM
i thought the later years of the gen 1's switched to maf? maybe im wrong, either way sal from psp sells conversion kits, or maybe terry could get you one

Wht95Lightning
02-20-2004, 10:21 AM
i thought the later years of the gen 1's switched to maf? maybe im wrong, either way sal from psp sells conversion kits, or maybe terry could get you one
All 3 years of Gen1's were SD. I've comtemplated converting but it seems like it actually hurts the track time in some cases so I figured I won't fix what ain't broke.

mardyn
02-20-2004, 10:36 AM
My car is already set up for MAF FI... so I think I'll just keep that system as it works very good as is...

I'm not doubting that the SD system works pretty good, but I thought the MAF systems were more efficient... if not, why would the OEMs be using them over the SD systems?

With that said, my engine deal includes the SD computer & harnesses, but I'll probably just put those on the shelf... I actually think there are some other issues about using the KB supercharger on a SD system vs MAF... I'll get the book out and investigate...

Next on the list is a T56 six speed...

mardyn :nana2

cpeapea
02-20-2004, 06:33 PM
i THINK there were also some issues with running nasty cams with speed density, something like not being able to idle, so most with cams run maf?

i seem to remember reading that somewhere

99WhiteBeast
02-20-2004, 07:33 PM
i THINK there were also some issues with running nasty cams with speed density, something like not being able to idle, so most with cams run maf?

i seem to remember reading that somewhere
You're right on there Gaven but there are more than handful of SD freindly cams if you don't go to crazy- CamMotion, Comp, and a stockGT HO cam works a little better with a stock L motor setup

mardyn
02-21-2004, 12:15 PM
What are y'all's thoughts on the stock lightning cam... I'd guess it's more of a low rpm/ high torque biased design.(which is fine for my application) 'cause I'm not interested in turning big time RPM...maybe 5500 or so tops... but I'd really like a roller version, and even considered buying a set of roller lifters and using on the stock cam... not sure if that's great idea... I'll have to do some investigation... anybody have any experience in this area?

mardyn

BigBobsL
02-22-2004, 08:18 AM
Even the stock 5.0 HR cam is a step up and still a torque cam. If running the KB SC,you will be ahead with MAF rather than SD. SD can make a bit more ower since Stock MAF presents a bit of restriction, but bigger MAF units are plentiful.

min150mph
02-23-2004, 08:31 AM
Here is a good table overview/comparison of speed density vs. MAF.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/load.html

99WhiteBeast
02-23-2004, 08:39 AM
Here is a good table overview/comparison of speed density vs. MAF.
http://fordfuelinjection.com/load.html

Very nice- Thanks Lena:D

min150mph
02-23-2004, 09:08 AM
You're welcome. Got a lot of info stored up on 351W and fuel injecting it as I've got a 351W to put in my 'ol '53 f100 and I'm planning on changing it over to fuel injection, so been doing a lot of reading.