PDA

View Full Version : "we dont suport that"

Silver_2000
03-01-2004, 01:13 PM
There is a GREAT article on Tech Suport call centers on Salon.com (http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/02/23/no_support/index_np.html)

Sounds JUST like my time at Stream ... TO the letter

98Cobra
03-01-2004, 01:38 PM
There is a GREAT article on Tech Suport call centers on Salon.com (http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/02/23/no_support/index_np.html)

Sounds JUST like my time at Stream ... TO the letter
Yea, I read that last week, and you are right, it IS just like Stream.

I guess I forgot you worked there too. :tongue:

Crawford
03-01-2004, 02:07 PM
I read that also. Was very interesting and insightful. Damn good thing I can fix most problems myself.

I think they practice that article well over at Symantec. On the rare occasion that I have had to call them the techs dont tell me crap and I feel more confused when I get off the phone than before I call... and they are FAST to get rid of your ass. However when I call the SAV for SMTP Gateways group those guys are bad ass... fast and fixed on first call. You just never know.

my2002lightning
03-01-2004, 08:44 PM
I agree on the Tech-Support / Call Center rants! Been there - done that. :mad:

It seems when you call TS, you get a Paki/Hindi or Oriental whom you CANNOT understand and they can't understand you. :flaming: :hammer:

The funniest thing about TS with my software, there's ACTUALLY a guy there named JOHN HOLMES ! :D :rll: No joke!

When I was in Cali. at corp. HQ, I actually met him. He looked more like Milton on Office Space, though. It was the running joke back in the day.

My big rant in my profession is off-shoring of IT jobs to India/China/Russia. I have quite a number of IT friends that work 1 month IT gigs all over the country and get extended week-to-week. What a career ?!? :throw:

You would think that BIG Government/Business would realize that a GOOD chunk of the $$$$ spenders in this country are the middle and upper-middle class that go to the mall and eat at nice restaurants, etc. etc. and buy nice homes and Ls, 'Vettes, etc. won't be able to recirculate the $$$$ back into the economy and keep it all going if all OUR jobs are going over-seas.:flaming:

Here's a pretty good Salon / IT off-shoring article I found:
http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/07/02/outsourcing/index.html

I understand off-shoring is even affecting the Finance industry and ... believe it or not, the TRUCKING industry because they can pack more of "them" in there more cheaply and keep the 18-wheelers running longer and making more $$$$. This has resulted in alot of the smaller trucking firms going under and has been putting the crunch on larger trucking est's.

To conclude on a "lighter" note, back in Ohio at that "sweatshop", one of the Hindi there was trying to bust-my-chops for not fully understanding complex Data Modeling and SAP table relationships (keep in mind all the tables are labeled/designed in German as SAP was born in German via IBM) . He went on and on and tried to intimidate me.

I made a call to one of one of my more senior IT friends and he suggested I tell him "Bakwaz nahee choop prohoo".

Loosely, translated into Hindi: "You're full of sh#t!". The look on his face was priceless. After that we were buddies and got along great.

Well, that's my input ...

Ronald

REXRENEGADE
03-02-2004, 10:34 AM
When referring to Asian People don't use the phrase Oriental, that would be like a rug not a regional area.
:hammer: :rll: :tu: