PDA

View Full Version : E-Fan Wiring Help

tliss
03-01-2004, 10:02 PM
All right...I'm about ready to blow a blood vessel. I know there is one wire that must connect to the A/C relay. The question I have is which prong on the relay should it go on? So far I've tried 2 of them, and neither seems to keep the fan from turning on with the ignition. I've got 3 more I can try. Can someone help me narrow my search?

Here's the other funny thing: when the wire is plugged into the recepticle without the relay, it does not turn on with the ignition, but when the relay is plugged in it turns on!! WTF? I'm about to donkey punch this beyotch and throw her ass the hell out the window!

Tom

Crawford
03-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Does this help?
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/reliability/radiator_fans.htm
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/reliability/fuse_box_locations.jpg

03'svtlight
03-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Does this help?
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/reliability/fuse_box_locations.jpg
whew.............dude I would have a serious problem with plugging wires directly to the fuses. If it sparks, thats it. I could be wrong but I don't think thats a safe way. My setup only had three wires.

True Blue Aggie
03-01-2004, 11:19 PM
I had similar troubles with the power tap relay wire.
The AC wire should be able to tap into the prong oppostite the fender. The tap itself is a bit soft, so watch that. You should be able to mount the wire to the tap, then install the tap and the relay at the same time. This allows for the force you need to install the relay without bending the tap trying to do all of this....

Oh, and also, make sure to hook up the power wire from the alternator to the starter solenoid. Right Terry??????:rll:
:tu:

Michael

03'svtlight
03-01-2004, 11:21 PM
I hooked my fan to the dryer wire on the firewall. It was that simple. I could look and tell which color in the morning.

my2002lightning
03-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Tom,

I did a search on a number of different sites and didn't find anything definitive that would answer your exact questions.

Ronald

Aggie Mom
03-02-2004, 05:52 AM
Oh, and also, make sure to hook up the power wire from the alternator to the starter solenoid. Right Terry??????:rll:

Michael

:rll: :rll: :rll: :rll: :rll:

tliss
03-02-2004, 07:04 AM
Does this help?
I've see that pic and I have the right relay ("A/C clutch ground tap location" in the pic). The problem I have is the relay has 5 prongs (two going fender to fender and three going cab to nose) and I am trying to figure out which one it goes on. I've tried two that it sounds like are the correct ones per my research and the instructions, but with the relay plugged in the fan still comes on with the ignition and it should not do this. Any ideas??

Tom

tliss
03-02-2004, 07:07 AM
I had similar troubles with the power tap relay wire.
The AC wire should be able to tap into the prong oppostite the fender. The tap itself is a bit soft, so watch that. You should be able to mount the wire to the tap, then install the tap and the relay at the same time. This allows for the force you need to install the relay without bending the tap trying to do all of this....

Michael
So the prong you are referring to is in the row of three going cab to nose nearest the engine? If so, if I plug into that recepticle without the relay installed the fan does not come on with the ignition, but as soon as I plug the relay in the fan comes on with the ignition and should not.

I'm about ready to just let the damn thing run whenever the ignition is on and forget this mess.

Tom

SILVER2000SVT
03-02-2004, 08:13 AM
I did my wiring from the bottom of the fuse panel, it's pretty easy to get to for the taps you are looking for (makes a neater job too). Tom, you are more than welcome to come take a look at what I did. I've been meaning to post a schematic of my wiring for my E-fan to help everybody out. When I bought my fan kit from andrew a couple of months ago I studied the JDM wiring and found many flaws with the design. Some of which were wasteful and others that were unsafe.

Warning...if you ever use the toggle switch for the high speed don't turn the truck on so that the low speed tries to engage. It might work for a little while but not for long before you smoke your fan.

bobbywade69
03-02-2004, 09:42 AM
I did my wiring from the bottom of the fuse panel, it's pretty easy to get to for the taps you are looking for (makes a neater job too). Tom, you are more than welcome to come take a look at what I did. I've been meaning to post a schematic of my wiring for my E-fan to help everybody out. When I bought my fan kit from andrew a couple of months ago I studied the JDM wiring and found many flaws with the design. Some of which were wasteful and others that were unsafe.

Warning...if you ever use the toggle switch for the high speed don't turn the truck on so that the low speed tries to engage. It might work for a little while but not for long before you smoke your fan.

The JDM fan kit I installed on Jeffs L used the N.C. contacts for the high speed and N.O. contacts for the low speed so when u turn the key on it droped out the high speed!:nono:

SILVER2000SVT
03-02-2004, 10:39 AM
sounds like they fixed one of the problems then, I did mine the same in that the NC contact on the high speed relay fed the supply on the low speed relay, and I wired the triggers so that if the manual switch was on it overrode and only the high speed comes on. I used diodes to isolate the two signals from the ac relay and the temperature sensor instead of another relay and have them trigger the low speed relay only when the ignition is on. The manual switch on mine only switches control voltage for the relay not the full fan current the way it was orginally designed, and I have a light inside that indicates if the manual switch is on.

Crawford
03-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Tom,

If we need to I can head over to your place after work one day this week and we can take a look at yours compared to mine. I have the LFP kit but we should be able to figure something out. Do you have the install instructions on your fan kit? If not can you get your vendor to fax you a copy. We can fix this!

tliss
03-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Tom,

If we need to I can head over to your place after work one day this week and we can take a look at yours compared to mine. I have the LFP kit but we should be able to figure something out. Do you have the install instructions on your fan kit? If not can you get your vendor to fax you a copy. We can fix this!
Here is what the instructions say:

"Install the red, black and blue wires as shown in the picture. (there is a picture with the spots where to install the wires by color, but the blue is pointin near, but not on the A/C relay) You will need to remove the A/C relay and connect the blue wire to the middle post."

With that being said, I tried the post in the very middle and it doesn't work right (I used the middle post that points fender to fender). When I contact the guy I bought this from, he says it should be the first cab to nose post nearest the engine. Same result. See below for the picture. This is looking down on the recepticle for the relay. I have used the two in red.

Crawford, if you have time, let's do this. I getting sick of pulling that freaking relay out and resetting it.

Tom

Mark #2
03-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Here is what the instructions say:

"Install the red, black and blue wires as shown in the picture. (there is a picture with the spots where to install the wires by color, but the blue is pointin near, but not on the A/C relay) You will need to remove the A/C relay and connect the blue wire to the middle post."

With that being said, I tried the post in the very middle and it doesn't work right (I used the middle post that points fender to fender). When I contact the guy I bought this from, he says it should be the first cab to nose post nearest the engine. Same result. See below for the picture. This is looking down on the recepticle for the relay. I have used the two in red.

Crawford, if you have time, let's do this. I getting sick of pulling that freaking relay out and resetting it.

TomTom,
Call me tonight around 6 pm. I installed mine and Crawford's...maybe it was just at my house and I stood around and told him what to do. I can fix your problem. Crawford has my cell # if needed.

Mark

tliss
03-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Tom,
Call me tonight around 6 pm. I installed mine and Crawford's...maybe it was just at my house and I stood around and told him what to do. I can fix your problem. Crawford has my cell # if needed.

Mark
I think I have your number. I'll buzz you tonight, if possible. It's the wife's birthday today, but she is going otu with some friends this afternoon. I'm not sure if she'll be home by then. If she is home, I won't be able to get to the truck. If she's not, I'll call you.

Tom

99WhiteBeast
03-02-2004, 04:30 PM
"Yeah, 220, 221, whatever it takes" :evil