PDA

View Full Version : Fog light questions...

TXBLU
03-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Hopefully this hasn't been beaten to death already.

Is anybody running the Silver Stars 9006s in thier fog lights?

Do they melt the lenses?

Has anybody run the replacement housings from Kar Kraft? They look the same on the outside, but they don't have the metal reflector the originals have.

Is anybody interested in lens protectors for thier fog lights? I'm working on making a set that attach over the light, but won't overheat them. I have a friend in the plastics biz that is working on a prototype right now. I'll keep anyone interested posted on our progress/success.

Peace:burnout:

L8 APEX
03-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Ford took the reflector out in 03. The stock bulbs are 37W I am not sure about stepping up to 55W on the stock circuit.

TXBLU
03-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Ford took the reflector out in 03. The stock bulbs are 37W I am not sure about stepping up to 55W on the stock circuit.
Yeah, I figured as much. I'm going for it anyway. Hopefully I can come up with a design/configuration that won't fry the circuit too bad.

By the way: Terry, thanks for the brakes. I think they are going to work out just fine. They are a bit noisy, but they sound kinda like the brakes on my TL-R, so I like it. They seem to be a bit weak when they are cold, but work better after warming up a bit. Plus, I only have a few hundred miles on them, so I think they might improve as they get bedded in better. I think I'll wait until I have a few hundred more miles on them before I really stomp hard on them from high speed. I'll let you know how that goes. I painted the calipers and mounts black before installing the pads and they look pretty cool. Overall, I think it's just what I wanted. Thanks again.

Eric

PoorSvtman
03-05-2004, 08:10 PM
The silver stars wont hurt the circuits or anything. If its going to do anything it will pop a fuse first. I have run higher watt bulbs in the past with no problems.

my2002lightning
03-05-2004, 09:35 PM
I'm running the Sylvania SS 9005/9007s (I forget which is the fog-light, but I know that's the combination).

I've been running them since April/May and I've had one fog-light burnout since then, but they are a night-and-day difference from the stock units.

They're so bright with the low-beams on and the fogs going, I get bright-lighted alot from oncoming traffic.

At night, they're a good white color with a hint of blue. The stock bulbs look yellow (at least in '02).

Ronald

Silver_2000
03-06-2004, 01:19 AM
THe 99-00's are diff

Post on F150 said they were H3-55's

Walmart had h3-55 and h3-100
The design looks right - Ill tell you tomorrow if the 55 looks like the stock one

The 9000 series bulbs are a totally diff design

Doug

dboat
03-06-2004, 09:25 AM
I am running the Silverstars in the headlights and fogs. I have an '02 but I had the dreaded foglamp failure with cracks and all. The dealer replaced them with the '03 design (no metal cover over the bulb) and I replaced them with the Silverstars again. No problems since. I run my fogs whenever the lights are on (headlight switch mod). There is a big difference in the lighting and I wouldnt want to go back.
I bought lens covers for mine, made of some kind of 3M film, I think. They are from a company in San Antonio. So they are readily available.
Dana

PoorSvtman
03-06-2004, 01:04 PM
THe 99-00's are diff

Post on F150 said they were H3-55's

Walmart had h3-55 and h3-100
The design looks right - Ill tell you tomorrow if the 55 looks like the stock one

The 9000 series bulbs are a totally diff design

Doug

I have the 01+ fogs in my 99. They are starting to crack from some rock chips. :hammer:

TXBLU
03-07-2004, 11:02 PM
I'm running the Sylvania SS 9005/9007s (I forget which is the fog-light, but I know that's the combination).

I've been running them since April/May and I've had one fog-light burnout since then, but they are a night-and-day difference from the stock units.

They're so bright with the low-beams on and the fogs going, I get bright-lighted alot from oncoming traffic.

At night, they're a good white color with a hint of blue. The stock bulbs look yellow (at least in '02).

Ronald
Yep, I believe the 9005s are right ones for the fogs. I was misinformed and picked up the 9006s, and they don't fit.:hammer: I'll be picking up the 9005s tomorrow.

Thanks guys!knana

my2002lightning
03-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Yep, I believe the 9005s are right ones for the fogs. I was misinformed and picked up the 9006s, and they don't fit.:hammer: I'll be picking up the 9005s tomorrow.

Thanks guys!knana

You'll like the Sylvania setup. Just remember the night-time before and after - big difference ! :cool:

Ronald

TXBLU
03-08-2004, 05:03 PM
You'll like the Sylvania setup. Just remember the night-time before and after - big difference ! :cool:

Ronald
I put them in today. I will be checking out the difference on the drive home tonight. Yeehaaaa!!!:burnout:

TXBLU
03-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Well, the drive home was very nice. Those 9005s are incredible. You could use just the fogs at night if you wanted to. They throw a bunch of light directly in front of the truck, and it seems like there is a buch more light out to the sides too. I can really tell a HUGE difference, especially when getting onto the GBT from Walnut Hill going north; I can see the road ahead and the highway below and to the side really well.

Thanks for all the help guys.:burnout:

Eric

my2002lightning
03-26-2004, 11:48 PM
Well, the drive home was very nice. Those 9005s are incredible. You could use just the fogs at night if you wanted to. They throw a bunch of light directly in front of the truck, and it seems like there is a buch more light out to the sides too. I can really tell a HUGE difference, especially when getting onto the GBT from Walnut Hill going north; I can see the road ahead and the highway below and to the side really well.

Thanks for all the help guys.:burnout:

Eric
Eric,

I burned out my driver's side Sylvania 9005 fog-light about 1-2 months ago after putting all 4 bulbs in.

I replaced it and didn't think TOO much about it. (It's rated at 60 W. on the back of the bulb).

I just burned out my passenger side fog-light today. Both the head-light bulbs are fine.

Ronald