PDA

View Full Version : Need a job Mr. Windows Admin?

Logan
03-30-2004, 12:33 PM
A rarity around this place, we actually have to replace a windows admin in extremely short order. Last incompetent fool ran crying from the building after getting a talkin' to about bringing Mission critical AD and DNS servers out of service during the day... Waaaaaaa :crying:

What we're specifically looking for is a STRONG background in clustered exchange, and STRONG Active Directory skills. Must be able to hit the ground sprinting...

Must be independant, logical thinkers. Being thick-skinned helps. Being smart and knowing what you're doing eliminates the need for being thick-skinned.

Idiots and rookies need not apply. Certifications required (Not that MS certs mean much of anything, we just like lots of letters jumbled together).

Scheduling immediate interviews and hiring THIS WEEK, so if you're lookin', meet the above and want a once in a lifetime shot to actually work in the same building as yours truly, well... Send me your resume ASAP to logan@mercurymarauder.net

Salary based on experience, but is standard industry wages for an experienced NT Admin.

tygr96
03-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Logan- I guess women need not apply? Just kidding, sounds like a good job. Hope you get some good candidates!

my2002lightning
03-30-2004, 03:18 PM
Logan,

Too bad you don't need an Informatica Admin. as I'm local and available. I don't know of any NT people in the IT circles I travel in or I'd call/email around for you.

OT, I've been working with Informatica since '00 and it DOES help to have a THICK skin in IT, regardless of skills, IMO.

Back in the day, a meeting a couple of my buddies were in with me got a little heated :D with a new project/contractors that didn't know anything about the product and how it "lived" within the enterprise.

I don't know about you, but I don't like Production systems crashing (8-10 projects running smoothly nightly) in the middle of the night and me fixing it due to one new project's "perceived" need to go to Production ASAP.

I held my ground and did the right thing according to peers/mgt. "Boom Boom" Brown they called me! knana

Maybe Crawford, Garett and Sayle can put-out-the-word since they're NT guys.

Ronald

Crawford
03-30-2004, 03:24 PM
Clustered Exchange server huh? Thats definitely a unique and rare setup.
How many Exchange servers are in your environment?
How many physical locations do you have?
How many employees/users do you have?
How many AD domain controlers do you have?
How many DNS servers do you have?

wesman
03-30-2004, 03:50 PM
A rarity around this place, we actually have to replace a windows admin in extremely short order. Last incompetent fool ran crying from the building after getting a talkin' to about bringing Mission critical AD and DNS servers out of service during the day... Waaaaaaa :crying:

What we're specifically looking for is a STRONG background in clustered exchange, and STRONG Active Directory skills. Must be able to hit the ground sprinting...

Must be independant, logical thinkers. Being thick-skinned helps. Being smart and knowing what you're doing eliminates the need for being thick-skinned.

Idiots and rookies need not apply. Certifications required (Not that MS certs mean much of anything, we just like lots of letters jumbled together).

Scheduling immediate interviews and hiring THIS WEEK, so if you're lookin', meet the above and want a once in a lifetime shot to actually work in the same building as yours truly, well... Send me your resume ASAP to logan@mercurymarauder.net

Salary based on experience, but is standard industry wages for an experienced NT Admin.
Do you mind if we send this to friends ?

--wes

Silver_2000
03-30-2004, 04:12 PM
I dont qualify and neither does anyone I know ...

I know 12 or so NT guys that used to work at i2 and none of them would qualify either ...

MCSE is only valuable - worthwhile for a year or maybe 2. Unless you are constantly going to school the certs become suitable for wallpaper or toilet paper in under 18 months.

In my view anyone that has time to maintain MSCE certs is underutilzed

Doug

Nuhklz
03-30-2004, 06:12 PM
... MCSE is only valuable - worthwhile for a year or maybe 2. Unless you are constantly going to school the certs become suitable for wallpaper or toilet paper in under 18 months.

In my view anyone that has time to maintain MSCE certs is underutilzed

Doug
Very good synopsis of MCSE. I got my MCSE in 1999 based on NT4. As I fininished, W2K was released and the NT4 cert was obsolete in roughly one year. MCSE's go to school constantly but it probably slowed down since XP.

Good luck filling the position!

Band
03-30-2004, 06:24 PM
I qualify except for the clustered Exchange.. But I only have 1-2 days a week available...

I am curious about the answers to crawford's questions tho...

Logan
03-30-2004, 06:52 PM
How many Exchange servers are in your environment?

How many physical locations do you have?

60 all on a VPN based WAN.

How many employees/users do you have?

a bit north of 1000...

How many AD domain controlers do you have?

How many DNS servers do you have?

6, two external, 4 internal

Silver_2000
03-30-2004, 07:41 PM
Very good synopsis of MCSE. I got my MCSE in 1999 based on NT4. As I fininished, W2K was released and the NT4 cert was obsolete in roughly one year. MCSE's go to school constantly but it probably slowed down since XP.

Good luck filling the position!I know people that paid $10,000 for SMU MCSE school - kind of like an expensive, valuable time bomb with a short fuse.

At one point I was trained by Microsoft for 9 weeks to Teach NT courses. If I hade been an MCSE I would have qualified as an MCT - Microsoft certified trainer. Which would have been valuable BUT the time needed to keep both MSCE and MCT current would have meant that I would have had 1 day or 2 a week to actually use the knowledge outside of the learning. The only folks that will pay you to go to that much school continuously is Microsoft...

Doug