PDA

View Full Version : Truck broken into tonight - I live in the ghetto...

Crawford
04-06-2004, 12:29 AM
Well... its been since high school since someone tried to break into one of my vehicles and the counter has been reset tonight.

I parked my truck at my apartment after work and went out for a midnight snack and noticed my rear window was wide open. Knowing that I didnt have it open today, I opened the door and the center console contents were everywhere. They crawled up onto my soft cover breaking the support bar and used a flat head screw driver to pop the latch. You can see where the screw driver flattened the window seal area around the latch. To my suprise I dont think they took anything and the rear slider seemed to close and latch okay. I am going to need a new support bar for the bed cover and its too dark to see if there is any external damage near the rear latch.

My apartment complex has gone to sh1t over the last 2.5 years I have lived here. I was contemplating moving out when my lease was up at the end of July but I know I am moving now. My hood along with about 10 other residents hoods were keyed one night about a year ago. I think I will be ponying up the extra cash for a garage this time.

Does anyone know if there is a device that will keep that rear slider shut?
Does anyone have a factory bed cover bar they dont need? I dont think you can just buy the bar from the dealership...:(

I am trying to contain my intense fury right now. Good thing the vBulletin software has filtering on it or I would F'ing go off. :flaming:

my2002lightning
04-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Crawford,

I feel your pain! My first brand-new F150 was stolen within 3-4 pmts. and the 2nd, I saw handprints/footprints all over the 2nd '00 Lariat back in Tulsa.:hammer: :mad:

My advice, get the hell out of there and get in a NICER neighborhood!

Thieving b#stards (b@stards)! :flaming:

Ronald

cpeapea
04-06-2004, 05:41 AM
just the other night i caught someone creeping around all my vehicles, someone in a old red fox body

tliss
04-06-2004, 06:04 AM
That sucks Crawford. Why can't people just leave other people's stuff alone. What a bum deal. Tell that apt. complex to blow it out their ass and move the hell out of there. :bs Two major problems in two years is unacceptable in my book.

Tom

98Cobra
04-06-2004, 07:25 AM
Damn dude, that blows. I would get a dowel and drop it in the track so it can't open, ala sliding glass door.

OTOH, who's to say that if they couldn't get in through the sliding glass that they wouldn't have just busted a driver's side window? Glad you didn't get anything taken.

Definately get the garage - the security is worth it, and you get free storage space! (Unless its like your last garage, that thing was too damn small!)

You should be able to order the support bar seperately from Ford. When its light out today see if you can see a part number on the broken one...

99WhiteBeast
04-06-2004, 07:57 AM
that sucks- you should be able to get out of your lease with this second incident.

I thought Terry was working with someone at one time to develop a bar to prevent the slider from being pryed open....

Silver_2000
04-06-2004, 08:41 AM
That sucks ....

Terry and David N were both talking about making a bar ... Havent seen one yet

REXRENEGADE
04-06-2004, 09:28 AM
I got one word for ya MOVE.

Get yourself a garage. I would not consider living anywhere without one.
I wish you could catch the turds that did the deed and flush them away. :mad:
Don't you just feel like kicking someone in the BALLS!

LonghornLightning
04-06-2004, 10:38 AM
That's awful man, I had my truck broken into this summer...Lewisville outside of Don Pablos (I worked there). They used a screwdriver and popped the entire lock unit out and pulled the bar to unlock, stole stereo (face was hidden under seat...they found that...sub, amp, all cds...) I just have to say if you're in Lewisville by Don Pablos..Red Lobster..Logan's RoadHouse and Friday's...be very aware, that place is TERRIBLE. The cops told me 3-4 reports of stolen stuff a day over there, FYI, it was 3:30pm on a sunday and No one at red lobster or anyone saw anything..which is terrible because someone had to be at my truck for AT LEAST 2 min. I was wondering if you guys had found anything to be able to lock the latch..you figure that you'd be able to get some device that clamps shut in the 0 shape that prevents the windows from even opening...? I'd hope that if he broke a window (keychain alarm) I'd be able to meet him outside with a golf club before he got to steal anything, sorry to hear that though man.

Silver_2000
04-06-2004, 12:28 PM
That's awful man, I had my truck broken into this summer...Lewisville outside of Don Pablos (I worked there). They used a screwdriver and popped the entire lock unit out and pulled the bar to unlock, stole stereo (face was hidden under seat...they found that...sub, amp, all cds...) I just have to say if you're in Lewisville by Don Pablos..Red Lobster..Logan's RoadHouse and Friday's...be very aware, that place is TERRIBLE. The cops told me 3-4 reports of stolen stuff a day over there, FYI, it was 3:30pm on a sunday and No one at red lobster or anyone saw anything..which is terrible because someone had to be at my truck for AT LEAST 2 min. I was wondering if you guys had found anything to be able to lock the latch..you figure that you'd be able to get some device that clamps shut in the 0 shape that prevents the windows from even opening...? I'd hope that if he broke a window (keychain alarm) I'd be able to meet him outside with a golf club before he got to steal anything, sorry to hear that though man.
Another TALON member had exactly the same thing done in the same row of restaurants on a Sunday in he middle of the afternoon. Outside Macaroni grill

Crawford
04-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Went shopping for alarms today. Looks like I am looking at about $350 installed on a Viper alarm at Earmark. Has doors, hood, dual impact, and rear slider sensor. Nothing fancy. More expensive than I thought but might be time to consider it. Earmark is among the best on installs and I know the place will be there in case I have problems.

Also checked on a new apartment complex w/ garage and the cost is only about 50 bucks a month more than what I am paying now for a better apartment complex, not quite a new as mine but it looks nicer (as in people wont try to steal my sh1t there) and is surrounded by some expensive houses instead of slums like my current pad. I just have to wait until my lease is up in July or August. :mad:

Mr.Ed
04-06-2004, 09:09 PM
I have the lojack system on my truck but it wouldn't help keeping them from just breaking in and stealing stuff. I had a very good alarm on my last truck and it didn't stop them from trying to steal it and I had a kill switch I put in myself and it wouldn't start so they went bizerk and shot the hell out of things including my house. I put my home up for sale the next week and moved away from there. Some people need to take matters into their own hands and start killing a few of these Bast#$%$ and as they are breaking in they need to be thinking about what may be about to happen. I did shoot the getaway truck about two weeks before they tried to steal my truck the last time. I figured moving would be better than going to prison for killing them the next time that they tried. I feel for you. Even if they don't really get anything of any value the damage they do to the vehicle is disgusting.

Ed :mad:

TP Derrick D
04-06-2004, 10:00 PM
I know the feeling also,in '92 ,Saturday nite before Mother's Day, my '89 Mustang GT was broken into in my apartment complex in Killeen while I was still in the Army @ Ft Hood. About $1500 worth of stereo equipment and CD,radar detector,etc...gone. in '94 my '89 Mustang GT was stolen right in my front door @ the apt complex I lived in Irving. Found by L'ville PD 22 days later, inside trashed, steering column busted, all CD's, cassettes, and a radar detector gone.Bad part about it my alarm did'nt work and my Club was still in the backseat where I left it :hammer: It never seem the same after I got it back from the Ford dealer. In '96 the same Stang got broken into outside my house in FW in the driveway. Tried to take radio but my neighbor heard the glass breaking and ran them off. I now live in a "upper" class neighbor hood in Mansfield but I found out that if there is a public road pass your house it lets all types pass by ,bringing outside riff-raff thats from outside your area with the intent to do criminal actions into the area :mad: . I feel your pain :flaming:

L8 APEX
04-06-2004, 11:43 PM
A garage is truely priceless especially in a apt. complex. Rob has two garages in his complex. I rekon the 50-100 a month is cheap insurance. It would be a must if I ever lived there. I can count to nights my truck has been outside on my hands in the last three years. If I were to buy an alarm I would get the Ford factory alarm. It is designed to work with the RAP(Remote Antitheft Personality) module your truck came with that the door pad and keeyless entry uses. Call the aftermarket manager over at Westway Ford I forget his name at the moment but he owned a black Lightning for a few years. Let him know whats up and he will hook it up. They have a Gold premuim system that does autostart. Code Alarm make the unit I believe.

Mr.Ed
04-07-2004, 12:22 AM
When they broke into my truck the alarm never went off. I noticed the next day there were two burned spots on the bumper, like electrical short or something of that nature. I talked to the police about it and they said THIEVES can use one of those very high voltage stunn gun things and zap the truck with it and it knocks the alarm out. That must be what they did cause the microprossessor chip was fryed in my alarm. If I hadn't had the kill swistch on it they would have stolen my truck. They shot 3 holes all inside the truck then shot my house 3 times. Like I said I MOVED.

Ed

98Cobra
04-07-2004, 01:26 AM
A garage is truely priceless especially in a apt. complex. Rob has two garages in his complex. I rekon the 50-100 a month is cheap insurance. It would be a must if I ever lived there. I can count to nights my truck has been outside on my hands in the last three years. If I were to buy an alarm I would get the Ford factory alarm. It is designed to work with the RAP(Remote Antitheft Personality) module your truck came with that the door pad and keeyless entry uses. Call the aftermarket manager over at Westway Ford I forget his name at the moment but he owned a black Lightning for a few years. Let him know whats up and he will hook it up. They have a Gold premuim system that does autostart. Code Alarm make the unit I believe.
I second that, Terry. I have been through my share of alarms, and I think the you can remove a lot of hassle and get the same amount of protection out of a Ford unit upgrade, and not have another remote on your keychain. If they can't do a switch for the back glass they should be able to do motion inside the cab, which is good enough.

I will say that I have been fortunate enough to not have any problems with it on the rare occasion I leave it outside. Get the garage and skip the alarm, IMO. :)

BTW, where are you looking at, C?

L8 APEX
04-07-2004, 02:05 AM
I don't nopt liek fals alarms at all! I ussualy tell dem to turn the shok sensor WAYdown. Not thunder, drunkz, or cats to set itoff. if it goes I know I ma abotu to kil someone over a stereo or other posession. The Ford factt stuff is good:tu:

Crawford
04-07-2004, 09:21 AM
I had the Ford add on alarm on one of my Cobras and there were several things I didnt like about it... I cant remember what they were but I am not going to go that route. I wont have to carry two sets of remotes, the new alarm remotes will be the only ones. I think I am going to go ahead and go with the Viper from Earmark for $350.

Garett, I am looking at the same apartments that Ted Q lives in. The lease isnt up for a while so I am thinking get the alarm and the garage. I cant wait to move out of the ghetto!

98Cobra
04-07-2004, 09:34 AM
Well, check out aptratings.com before you pick a place to live. I have found it to be pretty useful...

blueoval01
04-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Crawford, you need a house with a garage. :tu:

Crawford
04-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Crawford, you need a house with a garage. :tu:
Some day Mark... Some day...

ND4SPD
04-09-2004, 05:33 PM
I've been looking at getting an alarm made by Audiovox, I belive Viper makes one similar. It will page you if your alarm goes off. It also has the remote start option that I like and want.