PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper alternative for Lightning tires

Sandman
04-22-2004, 09:47 AM
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94362

QIK KAT
04-22-2004, 12:18 PM
I'm always willing to try something new. Although I do like my nittos, they're a little noisey, but so far they're holding up better than those stinken f1's that I only got 16000 miles on:hammer: I've got about 9000 miles on the nittos and I'm not even close to being half way through the tread.:tu:

Tex Arcana
04-22-2004, 04:21 PM
I got maybe 15k on average out of three sets of F1's on my '01L. :( I'm looking at the Nitto 555's, the Toyo Proxes S/T, the Hankook's the SVTPerformance thread mentions, and the Kumho's (they say they have a direct replacement, but the data sheet doesn't show 'em: http://www.kumhousa.com/Products/PtnDetails.asp?mainCatID=2&PtnID=KL-12&refAction=PtnDetail).

What I cannot seem to find are some solid info on how ANY of those tires ride, handle, and do in the wet; everyone says different things. :( So how am I to know??

98Cobra
04-22-2004, 05:02 PM
I notice the Hankook tires are not Z rated...

Tex Arcana
04-22-2004, 05:17 PM
I notice the Hankook tires are not Z rated...

Neither are the Toyo Proxes, they both are V rated, tho, meaning 140mph sustained speed... and who among us will *ever* see those speeds for any length of time?

98Cobra
04-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Neither are the Toyo Proxes, they both are V rated, tho, meaning 140mph sustained speed... and who among us will *ever* see those speeds for any length of time?
Maybe not 140, but the Hankook is only rated M & S. 81 mph is the rating for M, and 112 for S - I have been known to do 112 on occasion. :)

And isn't the rule of thumb to drop the speed rating one letter for each patch in the tire? If so, it would be bad to start picking up nails - well, worse than normal anyway. :)

Sandman
04-22-2004, 07:45 PM
Maybe not 140, but the Hankook is only rated M & S. 81 mph is the rating for M, and 112 for S - I have been known to do 112 on occasion. :)

And isn't the rule of thumb to drop the speed rating one letter for each patch in the tire? If so, it would be bad to start picking up nails - well, worse than normal anyway. :)I think the M&S is Mud and Snow (All Season tires). Click on the pdf file for the sizes and specs on this page http://www.hankooktireusa.com/products_view_info.asp?Item_ID=23&CatID=5 . They are V and W rated..
V = 149
W= 168

Not many of our trucks will be seeing 149 anytime soon.:beer:

L8 APEX
04-23-2004, 12:41 AM
Speed ratings are for engineers:evil

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/209-218-2394.jpg

Sandman
04-23-2004, 12:53 AM
Just mentioned these tires to my dad while I was talking to him on the phone. Come to find out, he has 6 Hankook tires on his one ton truck. Two of them have been replaced because the belts separated!!!:eek: When he took them back to the guy he bought them from, the guy said that he has warranted just about every Hankook tire he has sold! I think I'll pay an extra $50 a tire and get something else.

Tex Arcana
04-23-2004, 12:54 AM
Speed ratings are for engineers:evil

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/209-218-2394.jpg

I'll remind you of that when they are hosing your remains off the pavement after one of your S-rated tires let go at 90mph... :hammer:

L8 APEX
04-23-2004, 01:36 AM
No you won't, I run top notch rubber on all my vehicles. Same reason I run 3500 dollar brakes, custom suspension and downforce adders. I may do unsane stuff but I do it in a methodical and measured way. The speed rating is a 24hr continuous test speed without failure. I don't do over 140 for more than two or three hours at a time (fuel range limited) during Topeka runs. My 196mph C5 runs were done on WY rated tires which is tested at speeds in excess of 186mph. Didn't get a pic of that run though it was dark and I was a little busy driving. Though I did have a pressure sensor on a C5 start deflating over 140mph. The reason was the nut was not tightened properly at the tire store. So at that speed it had enough centrifugal force to sling in the wheels and leak. I was at about 160 when the DIC panel displayed low pressure RR. I gently lifted and coasted down. The tire went from 32psi to 12 in 10 seconds or less. It would hold air at low speeds but would open up at speed over 140. I won't forget that anytime soon. Also note that Z06's don't have those BS sensors...

Tex Arcana
04-23-2004, 10:05 AM
No you won't... I may do unsane stuff but I do it in a methodical and measured way...

Good... I'm the sme way, which is why I gig you like I do... :evil Gotta keep ya honest, yanno?? :d

Tex Arcana
04-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Just mentioned these tires to my dad while I was talking to him on the phone. Come to find out, he has 6 Hankook tires on his one ton truck. Two of them have been replaced because the belts separated!!!:eek: When he took them back to the guy he bought them from, the guy said that he has warranted just about every Hankook tire he has sold! I think I'll pay an extra $50 a tire and get something else.

Methinks you're right.. Scratch Hankook off the list!