PDA

View Full Version : What RPM to launch on stock converter.

BLACKSUNSHINE
06-05-2004, 07:12 PM
Ok, guys just curious. Heading out to kennedale tomorrow and I was wondering about what RPM to launch at with a stock converter (2000 stall I think) and F1 radials. I figure bring it up to about 2000? Im not sure I know I have traction problems from idle to WOT :d , you have to kinda feather it untill it really hooks up. Any suggestions from you more experienced?

Sixpipes
06-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Stock is 1200. I never look at the tach, but I would estimate that I launch at about 900 to 1,000 rpm. :cool:

Band
06-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Stock is 1200. I never look at the tach, but I would estimate that I launch at about 900 to 1,000 rpm. :cool:

I launch from 1500 rpm with a stock converter and slicks. But feathering is about all you can do with radials..

ken cryder
06-07-2004, 05:18 PM
with f1s only you can decide that , because they all react a little different . some break loose sooner than others ,because of all the variables that go in to the equation .

i run slicks and lauch at dead idle . it's getting me 1.6 60s , but there are alot more to the eqaution . bigger pulley nitrous ect.. ect ....

and yes i do have a stock stall.

ken

03LightningRocks
06-07-2004, 05:43 PM

:tu: I'll second this suggestion. I have never tried this myself with a stock convertor, but i have talked to a few folks that launch from idle....which isn't much below 800-1000 RPMS. Mine used to idle around 700 if I am remembering right.

Rocks:bows

UUDLOSE
06-07-2004, 06:04 PM
As a newbie to the modern drag racing scene, I have found that my truck launches best on the Nitto 555 streets that I have on it (I don't own slicks yet), with the tach holding at about 1300-1500 rpm. My stock idle is around 700-800 also.

I do lower the tire pressure down to 24-25 lbs. at the rears, and heat em up without going thru the water (go down the middle prior to entering the lane of choice). I've only run it a handful of times, so my experience is limited, but that is what seems to work best for me, so far. The only mod I have is a chip with a mild tune on it, everything else is bone stock. You might have to feather it some until you get the proper feel for it. Of course, track conditions do make a difference, and I have only run down the track in cooler weather than what we are currently having.

My 60 was 2.071, but as I said, my experience is limited, plus I'm old. :rll:
Anyway, just my 2 pennies worth. Have fun.

Mike

Crawford
06-07-2004, 08:17 PM
On the slicks I have tried everything from idle to about 1400 rpms. So far I have not seen a difference. To save some life on the truck I plan on going from idle from now on. On the stret tires I always went off idle and eased into it. I have the stock converter.

BLACKSUNSHINE
06-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Actually, I raced sunday, and I pretty much had best luck from idle. I tried to bring it to around 1200 and spun more so than I would off idle. Traction seems to be the biggest obsticle when racing these trucks. Looks like im budgeting slicks now (along with everything else I need).

ken cryder
06-07-2004, 09:14 PM
plus I'm old. :rll:
Anyway, just my 2 pennies worth. Have fun.

Mikeunfortunately so am i :crying:

Traction seems to be the biggest obsticle when racing these trucks. your absolutely right and the more you do to it the worse traction gets . and if you can get traction it seems to start breaking things . this weekend i bent four studs on one wheel . i almost couldn't get the slicks off and my nittos drs back on .