PDA

View Full Version : i2 Technologies to pay $10 mln to settle SEC case

Silver_2000
06-09-2004, 05:43 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/h?s=ITWO.PK

blueoval01
06-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Meaning they were over-evaluating the stock?

"closed-loop" , I've run into that several times already. Seems from what I have read, a lot of 3rd party "Fees" are involved. :confused:

Tex Arcana
06-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Welcome to the Corporate States of America, where your rights are being bought for pennies on the dollar!! :flaming:

Silver_2000
06-09-2004, 06:15 PM
In reality they were valuing the software sold, the same way dozens of other software companies were at the time...

Its a huge milestone to get the settlement behind us

Doug

Tex Arcana
06-09-2004, 06:18 PM
In reality they were valuing the software sold, the same way dozens of other software companies were at the time...

Its a huge milestone to get the settlement behind us

Doug
Doesn't relieve them of guilt, that was wrong, and they should be shot for doing it.

blueoval01
06-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Arggggggggg!!!
Don't say that, my man.
Doug works for i2.

If he gets screwed, we'll be looking for a job for our "Webmaster". :eek:

It's good that i2 is settling up with what they have been accused of.
Hopefully, with this behind them, they can move forward and be a prosperous Company once more.

Logan
06-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Doug's a big boy, he can take it. :)

Crawford
06-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Welcome to the Corporate States of America, where your rights are being bought for pennies on the dollar!! :flaming:
That comment hit the nail right on the head... happens all the time these days. Who is supposed to be watching out for this crap again? Just because you put on a suit and play golf doesnt mean you arent a crook putting employees and other investors in the poor house. Damn dont get me started!!!!

98Cobra
06-09-2004, 09:44 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/h?s=ITWO.PK
Good thing you guys are sitting on a huge pile of cash, no?

Tex Arcana
06-09-2004, 09:45 PM
That comment hit the nail right on the head... happens all the time these days. Who is supposed to be watching out for this crap again? Just because you put on a suit and play golf doesnt mean you arent a crook putting employees and other investors in the poor house. Damn dont get me started!!!!
In today's AMerica, it's the fox watching the henhouse.. hence how i2 could basically buy their way out of it. :(

Silver_2000
06-09-2004, 10:33 PM
In today's AMerica, it's the fox watching the henhouse.. hence how i2 could basically buy their way out of it. :(Tex

While you are taking clueless shots at a company you know nothing about keep in mind that I have been working there for going on 7 years and it is my i2 salary that paid the bills for TALON for a few years... :nono:

While you are jumping to under informed conclusions take a look at the list of enterprise software companies that were successfull in that time period and see how many of them, have had to restate earnings due to revenue recognition issues... LOTS of them....

Have a nice day :flaming:

Doug

PS - Im not in management and i2 was nice enough to let TALON use the parking garage twice for group pictures...

Silver_2000
06-09-2004, 10:55 PM
No boat trips for all you bashers....

my2002lightning
06-09-2004, 11:24 PM
On a related note, Corporate America can and does rule this country. Believe me! :flaming:

I want to tell Mom's story here, but probably shouldn't.

Ronald

Tex Arcana
06-09-2004, 11:37 PM
Tex

While you are taking clueless shots at a company you know nothing about keep in mind that I have been working there for going on 7 years and it is my i2 salary that paid the bills for TALON for a few years... :nono:

While you are jumping to under informed conclusions take a look at the list of enterprise software companies that were successfull in that time period and see how many of them, have had to restate earnings due to revenue recognition issues... LOTS of them....

Have a nice day :flaming:

Doug

PS - Im not in management and i2 was nice enough to let TALON use the parking garage twice for group pictures...

I appreciate your opinion on this matter, but the fact remains that the law was broken; and tho your company is not the only one that has done so, the fact remains that they have. And they did pay for that error. HOwever, my real point isn't to bash your company, or even you: my point is that upper management in corproate america see fit to lie, cheat, and steal their way to the top, and to play games with the books, their employees, and their shareholders, for short-term personal gain. "Business ethics" has become a contradiction in terms (if there ever WAS such a thing), and we all are the worse for it. THe laws have been changed, to the detriment of us little people, to the point where even YOU are sweating the next shipment of jobs to India. Enron seems to have gotten off scot-free, as has WorldCom and a whole host of other companies. Even the Stock Exchanges aren't immune: the former director got a HUGE payoff to go away.

And it is *US* who have let things get to this point, both by not calling for corporate responsibility for thier misdeeds; and for allowing out elected representatives to continue in thier jobs while said corportate entities purchase their favors and purchase favorable laws that just might plunge us back into a feudal serfdom.

And if that's what you want, well, want all you want.

But I will fight that with every inch of my being.

"I may not agree with what you say; but I will fight--to the death, if need be--your right to say it."

So let's agree to disagree, hm? ;)

Tex Arcana
06-09-2004, 11:37 PM
On a related note, Corporate America can and does rule this country. Believe me! :flaming:

I want to tell Mom's story here, but probably shouldn't.

Ronald
Please do.. I"m intersted to hear it.. ;)

my2002lightning
06-10-2004, 12:02 AM
There are certain actions "pending".

I'll speak with Mom tomorrow and I'll see what she thinks about me posting up.

It's a MAJOR sore spot with me, the family, Corporate America and the Judicial system.:mad:

Ronald

Please do.. I"m intersted to hear it.. ;)

Silver_2000
06-10-2004, 12:20 AM
I appreciate your opinion on this matter, but the fact remains that the law was broken; and tho your company is not the only one that has done so, the fact remains that they have. And they did pay for that error. HOwever, my real point isn't to bash your company, or even you: my point is that upper management in corproate america see fit to lie, cheat, and steal their way to the top, and to play games with the books, their employees, and their shareholders, for short-term personal gain. "Business ethics" has become a contradiction in terms (if there ever WAS such a thing), and we all are the worse for it. THe laws have been changed, to the detriment of us little people, to the point where even YOU are sweating the next shipment of jobs to India. Enron seems to have gotten off scot-free, as has WorldCom and a whole host of other companies. Even the Stock Exchanges aren't immune: the former director got a HUGE payoff to go away.

And it is *US* who have let things get to this point, both by not calling for corporate responsibility for thier misdeeds; and for allowing out elected representatives to continue in thier jobs while said corportate entities purchase their favors and purchase favorable laws that just might plunge us back into a feudal serfdom.

And if that's what you want, well, want all you want.

But I will fight that with every inch of my being.

"I may not agree with what you say; but I will fight--to the death, if need be--your right to say it."

So let's agree to disagree, hm? ;)
Tex

Call me when you stop making **** up and know the facts....

There was no admission nor charge of any laws being broken. And no money was paid for that reason.

The rhetoric sounds good but would be more effective if it had facts in it ....

I dont fear my job going to India - Never have - The work I do CANT be done from another country... Once again your rhetoric sounds good but isnt true...

Also there are many many honest hard working employees of companies that resent being painted with an ignorant broad brush like yours.

Have a nice day -

Doug

PS Keep this **** up and Ill ban you and your family :D

Tex Arcana
06-10-2004, 12:38 AM
Tex

Call me when you stop making **** up and know the facts....

There was no admission nor charge of any laws being broken. And no money was paid for that reason.

The rhetoric sounds good but would be more effective if it had facts in it ....

I dont fear my job going to India - Never have - The work I do CANT be done from another country... Once again your rhetoric sounds good but isnt true...

Also there are many many honest hard working employees of companies that resent being painted with an ignorant broad brush like yours.

Have a nice day -

Doug

PS Keep this **** up and Ill ban you and your family :D
I read the article, and it did state that your company paid $10 million to settle the issue out of court.. to most people, it means that the company didn't want to go to court because they would get nailed to the wall.

Be that as it may, I think the people who resent my generalizations are few and far between, and mostly concentrated in management, executive, and wanna-be managers and executives. The rest agree with me, in that their salaries are being pushed down in favor of executives and managers who sit around not doing the real work, pushing pencils or electrons or pushing people around with their thinly-veiled threats. Typically, schoolyard bullies or business school grads who spent their entire college careers learning how to cheat.

I thought you were smarter than that.

And your job is by no means sacrosanct: the second upper management finds a way to replace you with something cheaper, they will. THere is NO loyalty in cororate America any more, becasue the almighty dollar is the ultimate goal, no matter how many people are hurt, or how many lives are lost.

Ban me if you want.. all that will do is tell me and everyone else how small a person you really are.

L8 APEX
06-10-2004, 12:54 AM
While this thread becomes more of a personal attack I must still highlight one point I found amusing... I tihnk that is the first time I have ever heard of a entire family being banned. That must be reserved for Glens or something:eek: :rll: . Don't hate the player hate the game. They are just playing a little better than the rest of us:rolleyes:

AKRed02
06-10-2004, 01:19 AM
While this thread becomes more of a personal attack I must still highlight one point I found amusing... I tihnk that is the first time I have ever heard of a entire family being banned. That must be reserved for Glens or something:eek: :rll: . Don't hate the player hate the game. They are just playing a little better than the rest of us:rolleyes:

LMAO. . .:rll: :rll: :rll: :rll:

:tu:

dboat
06-10-2004, 03:39 AM
Ok, I have read enough of this stuff.

I have worked as a manager and executive in state owned University setting, privately owned setting, large for profit, publicy owned and traded setting and non profit setting.
Tex, there isnt a whole lot of difference in any of them. They all want to make a profit because if they do not, then they will fold up and die. The push is on in every one of these to improve the bottom line performance. That means that everyone, including the manager has to work hard. Just because someone pushes a pencil, doesnt mean they dont work hard, they just do different work than someone who doesnt. They are also held accountable for all of the work for those that report to them. I know, I live it. One of the companies that I worked for was investigated by the feds and settled as well. Did we do anything wrong? nope, but did we pay money, yep. Why? because it was cheaper to do so rather than go to court, and pay atty's, court costs, etc. You also do this to get these issues behind you and send a message to your current and future stockholders that these issues are behind you. As an aside, the company I worked for paid the feds over 1 billion dollars. Another point was that we had to teach the feds how to interp their own regs, it was freakin ridiculous.
You are correct in saying that you have to be careful because if the company can find a cheaper option, you may be out the door. I know that one because I have lived it twice, but that is life and the real world. The other side is that companies that push that issue too hard generally find that you dont always save money by doing so, due to the loss of a historian and loss of a good worker. But it is up to the individual person to make themselves better every year so that you are more valuable to the company. I think we forget about that part a lot. I have folks that assume because they show up for work everyday, that every thing is fine. They are improving themselves and then others pass them up.
I stop rambling now. But I think Doug will understand what I am trying to say. And I am not trying to :throw: anyone here. Just stating my opinion.
Dana

Silver_2000
06-10-2004, 07:57 AM
I read the article, and it did state that your company paid $10 million to settle the issue out of court.. to most people, it means that the company didn't want to go to court because they would get nailed to the wall.

Be that as it may, I think the people who resent my generalizations are few and far between, and mostly concentrated in management, executive, and wanna-be managers and executives. The rest agree with me, in that their salaries are being pushed down in favor of executives and managers who sit around not doing the real work, pushing pencils or electrons or pushing people around with their thinly-veiled threats. Typically, schoolyard bullies or business school grads who spent their entire college careers learning how to cheat.

I thought you were smarter than that.

And your job is by no means sacrosanct: the second upper management finds a way to replace you with something cheaper, they will. THere is NO loyalty in cororate America any more, becasue the almighty dollar is the ultimate goal, no matter how many people are hurt, or how many lives are lost.

Ban me if you want.. all that will do is tell me and everyone else how small a person you really are.The SEC doesnt take people to Court ...They dont have to. If the SEC found a smoking gun people would be going to jail - They arent - As I said before I could make a long list of Enterprise software companies that have had to restate earnings just like we did. They all used the same accounting practices that were at that time acceptable.

Once again you are reading things that are not there..
And you are making generalizations that dont apply.
Since you dont know me nor the details of this situation it would be less offensive if you didnt take clueless shots at me personally.

Yes most public corporations are trying to serve their shareholders - One way to do that is to keep costs down. Thats a fact of life today.

If you want to do things that might have an impact. Buy stock in companies that treat thier employees with respect. Only buy products and services made in America. And dont shop at Walmart...

PS- The Ban you and your whole family thing was a joke

Signed
Doug
A management, executive, and wanna-be manager who sits around not doing the real work, pushing pencils or electrons or pushing people around with their thinly-veiled threats. Typically, schoolyard bullies or business school grads who spent their entire college careers learning how to cheat.:rolleyes: :rll:

Sixpipes
06-10-2004, 08:37 AM
I tihnk that is the first time I have ever heard of a entire family being banned. That must be reserved for Glens or something.....
This forum could not survive the devesation that would occur if/when the Glenn clan were banished from this here place. :cool:

98Cobra
06-10-2004, 08:44 AM

OK, I am staying out of this one, except to say that companies don't always settle because they are afraid of being "nailed to the wall". $10 million may have been less than the legal costs of defending themselves, in that case in makes financial sense to settle. Its irritating but true.

Which reminds me, you didn't mention lawyers. A lot of this mess is their fault too. Here's a link to remind you why most are scum...

www.overlawyered.com (http://www.overlawyered.com)

Logan
06-10-2004, 08:46 AM
I work for Dynamex Inc. (DDN), We had to restate our earnings too. Our stock tanked to .80 cents... Now, a year after restatement, we're running over $14/share.

Whatever, you all suck. But I mean that in a loving way. But not THAT loving way. knana

Sixpipes
06-10-2004, 09:00 AM
We had to restate our earnings too. Our stock tanked to .80 cents... Now, a year after restatement, we're running over $14/share.

Thanks for the stock tip. :cool:

REXRENEGADE
06-10-2004, 09:31 AM
To Quote Thornton Mellon (Rodney Dangerfield from "Back To School")

"It's a jungle out there, You've got to look out for number 1, BUT don't step in number 2"

knana

Capitalism is really survival of the fittest.

George G.
06-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Man, all this corporate crap makes me want to mow lawns for a living!

Tex Arcana
06-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Excellent replies from everyone, thank you. Dana, that was a most interesting heads-up, and as much as it illuminates the better aspects of things, it also leaves shadows as well, and it's in those shadows where the worst stuff happens. The saddest thing is it's happenning on a regular basis. Of course the goal for a corporation is to survive and be profitable--but to do so ethically and with some compassion. Too many corporations have lost that, becasue the drive for the percentage has taken over, and THAT is what I am lamenting. And the examples I cited, you konw as well as I do its happening on a regular basis, to the point where the economy is being destroyed. And where are the responsible parties' ethics now? A company's real assets are its people, which also happes to be its greatest costs; but some of those pencil-necks (you not included) don't seem to realize it, and use layoffs as the quick way toward a rosy bottom line. Combine that with some book-cooking, and then next thign you konw the exec is getting another rosy job somewhere else, while the previous company dies a slow death (witness Lone Star Steel).

98 Cobra, you are right... not all do that. Some do, however. And as much as we all hate lawyers, the complete absence of them would land us in a nation that would leave *ALL* of us without any sort of advocacy whatsoever. And that would be horrible.

Doug: I really wasn't taking a personal shot at you: I was actually trying to commiserate over the misfortune. Typically, when something like that happens, the snit rolls downhill, and heads start rolling at the bottom, becasue those at the top will do anything they can to keep their jobs and salaries. I do have a real problem with the way corporations are doing things today, and we both know that the corporation is a reflection of its people, especially those that set policy; and when they start doing unethical things, the people who suffer the most are those at the bottom, because they are the ones who can't afford to lose thier jobs, yet are the ones who lose them right off the bat.

Atop of all that, I was merely stating my opinion.. if it offended you, I"m sorry, but it's still my opinion, and I am afforded the right to it. Being an opinion, it's also adjustable, in the light of facts. And I'm man enough to say "I'm wrong" when presented with facts.

I really didn't know if you were serious about banning me, I've been in similar situations, and have ended up being banned for expressing my opinion. I will not back down, when I am saying something I believe to be right.

I certainly won't blow sunshine up yer butt, either: I call it like I see it, and if I think someone's being an ass, I'll tell 'em. Of course, that's a two-way street: if I'm acting an ass, and called on it, I will admit it.

I won't roll over and play dead, on any issue. To me, that's an asset, because I challenge conventional thinking, and look for better ways to doing things.

So, if you still want me around, I'll be here. I realize this is your pond, and you're the big fish in it, but I will not change *me* to suit *you*. That does both me AND you wrong.

;)

George G.
06-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Soooooo, I get my truck back Friday:nana2

just goofing around. I'm serious about mowing lawns.

Tex Arcana
06-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Soooooo, I get my truck back Friday:nana2

just goofing around. I'm serious about mowing lawns.
:rll: :beer:

Logan
06-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ....:banned

Actually, I just wanted an excuse to use that smiley.

Tex Arcana
06-10-2004, 01:59 PM
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ....:banned

Actually, I just wanted an excuse to use that smiley.Which gives me the excuse to use THIS one: http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v111/texarcana/chasewaxe.gif :rll::beer: