PDA

View Full Version : What goes up must come down...

L8 APEX
06-14-2004, 02:31 PM
On my way back from Austin this morning all was well. I beat the Austin traffic and was north of Waco just after 9AM. I-35 is two lane most of the way and there was a line of semi's in the right going 65-70. So I was in the left lane cruise control on @ 74. There was a semi about 3-400 feet ahead of me hauling fork lifts and such. he was cooking pretty good 75+. Then came the oh sh!t moment. You know how folks strap plywood to the top of a fork lift for shade... Well it came off and flew about 50-75feet in the air. So I get on the brakes and lokk right at the wall of semi's. So I get as far left as I can without going off the highway. Looking at this whirling sheet of 3/4" plywood spiraling in the air. I get my bearings on where I am on the road and duck under the dash and close my eyes before it hits. I knew a blinding expolsion of safety glass was coming shortly. It came through the passenger side of the window and stuck laying on the hood. Now I have a bunch of powdered glass blowing through the cab @60mph. I drive by brail on the rumple strips until I can open my eyes. Then I had to floor it and catch up to the semi. It took about 4 miles of me riding the shoulder flahsing brights before he saw me. The bitch is that if I was tailgating him it would have flow way over me and I would have been fine. Sometimes it doesn't pay to leave a lot of room ahead of you:hammer: .
I have to get some work done more story later.. I thank god for safety glass today. I still got fragged pretty hard but I rather bleed a few drops than get sliced in half:bows
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15drivers_glass.jpg
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15console_glass.jpg

Sixpipes
06-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Hey man, you were definitely driving the right vehicle to take a fragging in. :eek:

L-Fever
06-14-2004, 02:59 PM
shiznit! glad you made it through that! holy crap! :eek:

tliss
06-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Damn Terry. Sorry to hear about that. I'm glad you're OK, man.

Tom

Nuhklz
06-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Not as entertaining as your other misc. ramblings. Good thing you knew how to react or it could've been much worse.

my2002lightning
06-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Terry,

Glad your OK.:eek: You could've easily been killed if you weren't maintaining your "situational awareness".

Did you get the tag/trucking company info.? Did you report him to TX. DPS? You could bring a MAJOR liability suit against that trucking firm!:cool:

BTW, I have that downtown Dallas atty's business card here. He's the one that "acquired" that black Cobra as down pmt. for a murder case which I posted about on here. :cool:

I was driving down I-35 in OKC once and a full size couch decided to exit the back of a pickup. I was 2 vehicles back and left and all of the trailing lanes of traffic parted like the Red Sea. :eek2:

Gotta' watch it out there...

Ronald

Sixpipes
06-14-2004, 04:01 PM
I had a cousin that bought some plywood once. :cool:

Crawford
06-14-2004, 04:22 PM
This one time... at band camp... (Insert :ron: here)

my2002lightning
06-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Hey, I only used the term "once" one time in a post. :D

dboat
06-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Lets get this thread back on track and away from that :ron: thing...

Terry,

The fact that it happened really sucks, but am glad to hear you are ok.. anything on the truck can be replaced... be careful out there...
Dana

Logan
06-14-2004, 07:01 PM
Phew. At least it was the chevy...

blueoval01
06-14-2004, 07:06 PM
Whew! Glad your alive to tell about it TC. :tu:
Happened to me twice. Once with plywood and once with 1/4" angle iron bouncing down the freeway. :eek:

Aggie Mom
06-14-2004, 07:32 PM
.... I still got fragged pretty hard but I rather bleed a few drops than get sliced in half:bows

:eek2: Sorry to hear that, but I'm glad everything is okay and you're still in one piece.

L8 APEX
06-14-2004, 08:12 PM
After the slurry of glass settled down I opened my eyes and ran the bastard down. He was flying by traffic pretty good. I was flashing my lights and honking my horn but he wasn't looking. I was about to bust a few caps into his cab to get his attention. After about 4 miles he saw me and pulled over. His company's safety team came out of Waco and took pics. I told them to Email them to me.. Since the windshield was laid in and powdered they had a glass company come to the scene and put a new windshield in so I could drive it home. I have slivers of glass in my hair, ears, socks, just frinking everywhere! Yeah if I would have stayed in the center of my lane it would have punched through the drivers side instead.

LonghornLightning
06-14-2004, 09:13 PM
HOLY CHIT, glad you're ok man, talk about freaky.

L8 APEX
06-14-2004, 09:15 PM
More pics..

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15more_glass.jpg
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15console2.jpg
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15floormat1.jpg
The back seat as well got some.
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15behind_the_seats.jpg

Silver_2000
06-14-2004, 09:20 PM
you need to find an Atty

They were hauling an unsafe load and could have taken someones life..

Thank god you had you wits about you and some luck

Glad you are ok

Doug

99WhiteBeast
06-14-2004, 09:24 PM
Damn TC glad your OK and had the awareness to straddle the shoulder.Good thing the freaking fork lift didn't come off.

I would be calling Adler or one of those Texas Hammer guys to "get the settlement you deserve"

my2002lightning
06-14-2004, 09:24 PM
FWIW,

The Cobra attys contact info. I mentioned earlier is:

Jon A. Haslett
Legal Arts Center
304 South Record St.
Dallas, TX. 75202
214-742-3133

Give him a call...

02BOLT
06-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Damnit Bro!:eek: First of all, I'm glad you're alright. I'm just thankful you had the presence of mind to keep control of the vehicle and to stay calm when the sh!t hit the fan. the outcome could easily have been a lot worse.

That's just F-ing REDICULOUS:flaming:, and down right careless for those morons to leave a fricking piece of plywood stuck to the top of a damn forklift that's strapped to the bed of an 18 wheeler. Furthermore, 18 fricking wheelers have got ZERO business toodling down the highway at 75-80 mph in the first place. I hope you NAIL THEIR ASSES!!!!:hammer:

Once again, just glad you're OK man.:beer:

Take it easy,
Rob

UUDLOSE
06-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Glad you are okay. My wife works for one of the biggest law firms in Texas, so if you decide to go after them, here's their info.

Strasburger Price, LLP
214-651-4300
Dallas, TX

Hand them their heads.

Mike

Lyfisin
06-15-2004, 11:06 AM
I'm also glad to hear you're ok Terry. That sounds pretty messy, but way to stay alert.

Brook

L8 APEX
06-16-2004, 09:29 PM
I asked a Lawyer for his opinion. He said since I didn't sustain signifcant injury it isn't worth proceeding. I guess the system rewards the stupid who watch the flying glass blind them and cut them up. That is okay I did what came naturally and being Unbreakable helps:twitch: .

my2002lightning
06-16-2004, 10:43 PM
IMO, that's :Bullshit ! You're vehicle was obviously damaged and you seem to have been cut-up and could've easily been killed (and others, too).

I'd get a 2nd opinion if I were you, Terry.

The legal system is by NO MEANS fair. Trust me! :mad:

...and I'm not referring to my ticket situation.