PDA

View Full Version : Front License Plate!!!

Tex Arcana
06-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Well, I just took a trip to Amarillo this weekend, and I got pulle dover TWICE for not having a front plate!! Thank goodness I had the plate in the truck, and can tell a convincing story!

One was a local sheriff, the other highway patrol, and both let me off with a warning. The trooper told me that he has heard no plans of the law changing anytime soon, and that all law enforcement have been instructed to crack down on it. So it's time to get that taken care of, I guess. http://forums.svttexas.com/images/smilies/depressed.gif

Anyone know a good way to mount the plate to the Lightning? :D

PoorSvtman
06-14-2004, 05:36 PM
I have a factory holder if you want it. Not the nicest way to mount it.

00Bolt
06-14-2004, 05:42 PM
mines mounted in my driver side door holder... everytime i see a cop I throw it up in the front dash... never been pulled over for it, but if i do... id rather pay $50 than drill holes in my bumper

Ivanhoe_Farms
06-14-2004, 06:08 PM
as long as it is visible from the front, you are OK:tu:

dboat
06-14-2004, 06:33 PM
taking their plate to Kinko's and having a mylar (?) copy made of it.. then they would place on their front bumper. It sticks by either static or with water or something like that.. anyway, it works and no more tickets..

Dana

PoorSvtman
06-14-2004, 07:06 PM
putting it on your dash wont work. The plate it self has to be so far from the ground. I forgot the exact numbers but you can still get a ticket for no front plate with it in on the dash/front window area. Sometimes it will work but sometimes it dosent.

I just use the i ordered the plate holder and it hasnt come in line. But i have never been pulled over for no front plate. Its always for speeding and they ask where the front plate is.

99WhiteBeast
06-14-2004, 09:35 PM
taking their plate to Kinko's and having a mylar (?) copy made of it.. then they would place on their front bumper. It sticks by either static or with water or something like that.. anyway, it works and no more tickets..

Dana
I read about that on F150online like a year or two. It was some type of adhesive mylar made by Xerox.

I have a brother in the printing business I think I'll ask around and see if he's heard about it.

PoorSvtman
06-15-2004, 12:17 AM
I read about that on F150online like a year or two. It was some type of adhesive mylar made by Xerox.

I have a brother in the printing business I think I'll ask around and see if he's heard about it.

Steve, its basicly the same stuff tony has his decals made out of (i think). Its the new Skinz auto body wrap. Ive seen cars totaly wraped in the stuff.

Im sure if you find a dealer you can have one made. But to be honest. If your going to put a sticker of your plate on the front of your L you might as well put the real one on.

Silver_2000
06-15-2004, 12:32 AM
But to be honest. If your going to put a sticker of your plate on the front of your L you might as well put the real one on.
I agree....

L8 APEX
06-15-2004, 08:11 AM
I guess I have been lucky so far. Neither the gen 1 or 2 had plates on the front. None of the Corvette's had front plates. I write it off to Jedi mind trick:D

Lyfisin
06-15-2004, 09:34 AM
This has been a minor issue for me twice.

I've had it mentioned to me once, but no written warning when an officer saw my truck as I was getting gas in Abilene. He didn't really make a big deal of it. I went in and bought a roll of paper towels and propped it up in the glass. He never even saw me do it. He indicated it just needed to be displayed and I wanted something in place in case he saw me down the road farther.

The 2nd time, I was speeding about 10 over down close to Harlingen. He was on the other side of the road and only saw my front bumper when I passed him going the other way. After he pulled me over, he told me it was for no front plate and speeding. He asked me if I had it in the cab and, since it was, I told him I did. He never asked to see it or that I make some effort to display it.

I'm not worried about putting the plate on the front, although I will say that sticker > hole drilling in my bumper for me if I had to choose between the two.

Anyone know if the decal type is legal, or does it have to be the official one?

Brook

Sandman
06-15-2004, 09:44 AM
You could always try this.

http://www.sonicblur.net/orders/order_form.htm

Lyfisin
06-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Looks like the one I think I have on order. *cough*

PoorSvtman
06-15-2004, 12:02 PM
You could always try this.

http://www.sonicblur.net/orders/order_form.htm

I think it mounted in the factory location looks better than it sticking out that far.

Sixpipes
06-15-2004, 12:44 PM
I have been pulled over 5 times by the Texas DPS troopers. All 5 times the officers were traveling on a major 4-lane highway going the opposite direction. Each crossed four lanes of traffic to get to me. I have been given 5 warning tickets so I finally got the hint and placed the front plate on the dashboard which I understand fulfills the requirement of being "displayed" on the front of the vehicle as the State of Texas law requires. :cool:

Lyfisin
06-15-2004, 01:10 PM
In the end, I think the penalty will be based on how any individual handles the situation as it develops combined with how bad of a day the officer has had.

Hopefully they'll be having a :banana: day.

Brook

my2002lightning
06-15-2004, 02:36 PM
I have several relatives who make license plates.:D

REXRENEGADE
06-15-2004, 03:58 PM
When I was A Kid I use to steal License Plates :evil

r1eater
06-15-2004, 05:17 PM
I got one for not having one on my car. I just paid it and haven't put one on. I figure I've had the car almost 4 yrs and its the first time its happened, the fine was only 125-150 bucks. Well worth me not having to drill into my bumper. Screw that crap.

skalywags
06-15-2004, 07:37 PM
:ron: . Is that now, or is it you once had several realtives who made them?
I have several relatives who make license plates.:D

my2002lightning
06-15-2004, 09:54 PM
If I don't slow down and quit pulling U-Turns where I shouldn't while on Def. Adj., I just might join 'em.:crying: :D

BTW, none of my known lineage has ever "visited" Shawshank. :tu:

:ron: . Is that now, or is it you once had several realtives who made them?

Tex Arcana
06-15-2004, 11:10 PM
I write it off to Jedi mind trick:D
Meesa think yousa just beesa lucky... http://home.coqui.net/jlromang/jarjar.jpg

Tex Arcana
06-15-2004, 11:23 PM
I have been pulled over 5 times by the Texas DPS troopers. All 5 times the officers were traveling on a major 4-lane highway going the opposite direction. Each crossed four lanes of traffic to get to me. I have been given 5 warning tickets so I finally got the hint and placed the front plate on the dashboard which I understand fulfills the requirement of being "displayed" on the front of the vehicle as the State of Texas law requires. :cool:
The trooper told me that the plate in the dash would have gotten me a ticket because it was patially obscured, both by the stickers and the black border on the windshield. He explianed the law is there so that a cop can read the plate as your'e passing a cop and/or approaching from behind; in the windshield is too high and too hard to see. :(

03LightningRocks
06-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Anyone know a good way to mount the plate to the Lightning? :D

Yeah...............behind the front seat. I say FOCK EM.....I'll just pay the fine and keep on keeping on. This law pizzes me off so bad I can't even see straight. So far I am at two and counting......They can kiss my big fat ass.

There....now I feel better.

Rocks:flaming: