PDA

View Full Version : State Inspections

Sixpipes
07-26-2002, 12:21 PM
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/211-220-25171.jpg

What was previously $13.50 is now $39.50. Pretty good increase in a year condsidering the economy. Go_rila passed of course, but not before he was required to remove the "red" banner and also the white MM & FF banner which was more than the allotted 6.5 inches below the top of the windshield. Apparently "red" is not a state legal color for windshield banners.
:hammer:

wesman
07-26-2002, 01:30 PM
Did you clear all your codes etc before going ? I assume you removed your chip (if installed) as well. I got mine inspected before it was modded so I passed no problem...just concerned now that I have other mods etc that the computer is storing codes and they're gonna pop up when they jack into the OBDII.

It's a moot point until May for me, but may be good info for those modded guys needing inspections soon.

--wes

MadMax
07-26-2002, 03:17 PM
Well, Personally I am glad they made you remove the stickers. This goes along with "Soccer Moms" in 6,000 pound Suburban's with cell phones stuck in their ears. How in the Sam Hill could you see???? :confused:

now..the 39.50 part...well thats another story :rolleyes:

this message is not to be misconstrued, misconcepted, or otherwise misrepresented as it is simply a joke... :D

why the server did not take the last update...i dunno...

DamonH
07-26-2002, 03:42 PM
$39!? I thought that was only if you had a 95 or older car and they had to strap it on the dyno? They only charged me $13 when I took my L in this month. Maybe it was just because I was only getting a Texas inspection to get it registered (my truck was bought outa state)?

Who knows.

Later,

wesman
07-26-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by DamonH
$39!? I thought that was only if you had a 95 or older car and they had to strap it on the dyno? They only charged me $13 when I took my L in this month. Maybe it was just because I was only getting a Texas inspection to get it registered (my truck was bought outa state)?

Who knows.

Later,

Well if so then I got robbed back in May, two days after they implemented this sorry ass test....I paid $39.50 as well.

--wes

Sixpipes
07-26-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by wesman
Did you clear all your codes etc before going ? I assume you removed your chip (if installed) as well.
--wes
I haven't been running a chip since last Thanksgiving so I didn't expect any problems. However, I wouldn't have expected a chip to cause an inspection failure even though it will throw a code. Has anyone failed an inspection with a chip? :cool:

MadMax
07-26-2002, 04:38 PM
Sixer...joking about your sticker...but...Irving pulled me over for the SVT License plate frame. Apparently upon close examination or something some or part of the lettering can be considered to be obscured by Law Enforcement types. "Yes, Sir, Officer Sir, I will be so kind as to remove this ornamental frame as soon as I get home. 48 hours later...now......nada....which means I have refused to remove the frame. Consider priorities....and go chase some "Camel Jockey" type terrorists or something, and leave John alone..LOL :tongue:

Ripster
07-29-2002, 09:45 PM
I am a state inspector. It is hard to just "get" a sticker these days, however there are ways to make one look better to the machine. There are two different types of test (too much to explain) I do not use a dyno so some of the mods could actual stay on the trucks. Let me know if I could bee any help.

L8 APEX
07-29-2002, 10:42 PM
If anyone needs a good inspector let me know:tu: The 96 and newer tests are easy. We took a customer's C5 in to see how the new test would go. He has off road X-pipe, built motor with ASA series race cam that lopes like it is from the 60's :D, etc. They did a safety checked brakes, lights etc... Plugged it in to the state machine no OBD2 codes and we were off with a brand new sticker 39.95 :burnout: Now my brother's 93 Chevy 1500 stock would not pass without a new converter, tune up and bottle of 99% alcohol. I feel for pre 96 ithey lowered the emissions a lot from the old test. His truck used to require under 220 HC's now it is 126 or less because they say testing under a load makes cleaner air. PITA!

J.D. Blackwell
07-29-2002, 11:02 PM
:confused: What are you guys talking about??? They check your computer!!! Removing the windshield banners!!!

Out here in the country they don't care about that stuff. All they do is check your lights, blinkers, brake lights, E-brake, and horn.
They give you a thumbs up if you have loud exhaust and if you have beer with you, you can get by with a couple of violations.

Ya'll city folks have it bad.

rickgig
07-30-2002, 07:56 AM
Well over here in the big city... they check to see if your valve stem caps are on!!!

I've got a 93 SHO that I am a little worried about inspecting... 160K plus miles... still runs good but I think it may have trouble...

What's this 99% alcohol trick???? I put a bottle of RXP in and have yet to head in to have it inspected.

I don't think a chip alone will cause us to fail... now add a pulley and you gopt a different story... Has anyone been inspected with chip and pulley and made it through?

How about chip, pulley and headers???

wesman
07-30-2002, 09:42 AM
With the way cars are made today I think the average inspector will have trouble noticing anything that isn't blatantly obvious. I don't think they will notice headers, if they do I don't think they would know they weren't CARB legal.

A pulley isn't something that will fail you, it's not going to shoot any codes and they sure wont notice that the pulley has been changed (don't think it would be illegal anyway).

All in all there are ways around it....it's just good to know people :)

98Cobra
07-30-2002, 12:58 PM
Well Justin, your air out in East Texas isn't brown yet, so they haven't slapped you down with these restrictions :)

Someone post more about this 99% alcohol thing. Could be useful for my Dad and his 1993 Astro Service Van.

rickgig
07-30-2002, 08:08 PM
Hey guy... you bet it helps to know someone... I'd like to get to know a couple of folks just in case... shoot me an email if know someone who looking to meet new people. :D

wesman
07-30-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by rickgig
Hey guy... you bet it helps to know someone... I'd like to get to know a couple of folks just in case... shoot me an email if know someone who looking to meet new people. :D

lol...sounds like a dating service:)

--wes

rickgig
07-30-2002, 08:56 PM
It better not be a dating service...

TxBolt
07-30-2002, 09:13 PM
I have not had to inspect mine yet , but I sure don't want to lose the banner, even if I have to go to J.Ds neck of the woods!:D :D

Ripster
07-30-2002, 10:06 PM
If anyone needs their truck inspected and can get to the Lewisville area let me know. I wound't make you take anything off the truck you don't have to.

Razor
07-30-2002, 11:12 PM
Where in lewisville?

For every1 else...Ive been told to runrace gas..you know C-14.....104 octane and above. Works magic to the numbers. Simply put...pump gas is **** and is why we have these so called emissions all over the engine strangling it by the balls. If its over $5 a gal...thats what u need in the tank.

L8 APEX
07-30-2002, 11:21 PM
When alcohol burns it doesn't make HC's which is what 90% of cars fail on. The 70% isopropyl has too much water in it to work good. I had no luck with RXP but did with Berryman's Emmisions Pass:tu: Pulleys and such are fine they are looking for OBD2 codes such as O2 sensor rich or no signal, trans malfunction, etc... I don't know if it looks for the 0603 internal ROM error some chips give, or waste gate malf form unplugging the waste gate...

rickgig
07-31-2002, 06:06 AM
It's been a long time since I've failed an inspection and I don't remember if they remove the sticker when you fail or not.

I am not worried about the "L" at this time just my 93 SHO.. over 160k miles and I have yet to change the O2 sensors... run good though.

Ripster
07-31-2002, 08:48 PM
Don't laugh! Lewisville VW. I can only do '96 and up inspections(aka the OBD test). More help with the trucks than anything else.

rickgig
07-31-2002, 10:11 PM
Thanks anyway... I am sure it'll pass sooner or later :rolleyes:

Red2002
07-31-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by rickgig
I am not worried about the "L" at this time just my 93 SHO.. over 160k miles and I have yet to change the O2 sensors... run good though.

I may be able to lend you some assistance with your SHO. I used to work on my 94 mtx and other SHO club members' cars as a 'hobby'. What was I thinking?

Supposedly the increase in inspection price to $39.95 also makes allowances for people who have hoopties and can't afford to make repairs to tap into a fund to 'help' pay for any repairs needed to make the POS pass. Where in the hell do I get signed up? :throw: Ripster can you confirm or deny?