PDA

View Full Version : Tie rod inspection NOTICE From Ford

Mr.Ed
08-18-2004, 12:36 PM
:( :( Has anyone else got the notice about our tie rods on our trucks up to 02?? What a cop out by Blue Oval. They say we need to have the tie rods inspected every 15K miles cause they may be defective and cause an accident. My truck is a 99 and I'm just now hearing about this. I have noticed a popping noise when I turn left for some time. I had no idea the tie rods may be defective. What a cop out from Ford. I think this should be a recall. What are your thoughts on this??????

Ed :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming:

blueoval01
08-18-2004, 03:04 PM
Yep, I got two.
One for the '01 L and one for my 97 XL.
Ed, your popping noise is pretty standard with L's. Might just need a set of "Herbs" washers installed. Several of the members here have done this. And I'm sure Terry has installed quite a few sets.

My '97 just started squeeking a few months ago. Only when I turn. Not sure if it's a tie-rod or not. :hammer:

Mr.Ed
08-18-2004, 06:42 PM
I had my idler arm replaced at 18K. Now if I turn left hard and as I start to streighten out there is a very loud banging noise coming from the front end. It bangs so hard that I can feel it in my arse. I'm afraid it might be a tie rod. I am going to have it checked out next week. I will let you know what the outcome is. I now have 20K miles on it so it may have gone bad in 2K but you would think they would have noticed or (checked) the tie rods at the time.