PDA

View Full Version : What are the most popular/useful Autometer guages

00Bolt
08-25-2004, 08:45 AM
I have Boost, Air Fuel and water temp.... whats another good one???

btw, for people with the A/F, iv heard they arent real acurate which i understand why... but are they even close? i mean, mine litterally goes from left to right non stop... it never stays put in one place... looks like windshield wipers going back and forth....

Mark #2
08-25-2004, 09:29 AM
I have Boost, Air Fuel and water temp.... whats another good one???

btw, for people with the A/F, iv heard they arent real acurate which i understand why... but are they even close? i mean, mine litterally goes from left to right non stop... it never stays put in one place... looks like windshield wipers going back and forth....
Fuel pressure should be the first guage installed, not that anyone ever does this.

Crawford
08-25-2004, 09:40 AM
The A/F gauges are worthless. You could go with a trans temp gauge... Mark's suggestion for fuel pressure is also a great choice.

WA 2 FST
08-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Mark and Crawford are correct. An A/F meter hooked up to the factory O2 sensor(s) is for looks only. If its bouncing back and forth while cruising around after the car is warmed up, then it tells you one thing... the O2 sensor is sending a good signal to the PCM. Other than that... worthless. Full throttle, it should go to the rich side, but that's not an accurate measurement under 14.7:1, so who cares? No one can tell me that the stock "narrow band" O2 sensor readings are worth a crap for full throttle tuning or as a check to see if things are functioning right.

I would definitely do a trans temp gauge if you are racing the truck much, especially if you have an aftermarket TQ converter that stalls at a higher rpm than the stocker.

Crawford
08-25-2004, 03:23 PM
Another good one I hear alot about is an EGT gauge.

Mark #2
08-25-2004, 03:31 PM
Another good one I hear alot about is an EGT gauge.
Agree, I am going to wind up with

1)Boost
2)Fuel Pressure
3) either EGT or Wide band O2