PDA

View Full Version : I think I just had an epiphany

my2002lightning
08-26-2004, 01:54 PM
:D Well, I was running errands this morning, enjoying the L and I got to thinking about how Ls don't like hot weather, but really wake up performance-wise with cold weather.

I've been thinking about going with an AirRaid CAI sometime soon while keeping my 12" cone open-end K/N for more flow from the filter snout and this got me to thinking...

http://www.lonestarperformance.com/shop/product_image.php?imageid=711

Now, I've been surfing L boards since '98/'99, and I'm almost positive this hasn't been done, so here goes:

Possibly fab up some modified AirRaid box to fit in some slim "radiators" all around the air-filter with freon, etc. circulating via possibly an electrical pump (to avoid parasitic drag on the motor),a cooling reservoir in the bed and sending/receiving plumbing lines running down the frame rails. Possibly a cone-shaped radiator one-off to make like a "glove" for the air-filter.

Think about it - get the incoming hot air really cold before it hits the filter. That would mean cold-air year round for the trucks!

Just a random thought I had this morning and thought I'd throw it out there.

Opinions?

LonghornLightning
08-26-2004, 02:11 PM
get a job. :rll:

Nahh i'm just kidding, sounds like a good idea? i'm sure somehow will have some better input than me, let's see how it turns out.

Silver_2000
08-26-2004, 03:28 PM
May be more efficient to use the same cooling tech to cool the intercooler fluid

Cooling that much air in your example would take 2 or 3 tons of cooling

Doug

SILVER2000SVT
08-26-2004, 05:23 PM
May be more efficient to use the same cooling tech to cool the intercooler fluid

Cooling that much air in your example would take 2 or 3 tons of cooling

Doug
I'm with Doug on this one. It would far more efficient cooling the intercooler fluid. The larger the temperature differential the better the heat transfer. Not to mention liquid to liquid transfer vs. liquid to air which usually takes a lot of surface area.

The problem isn't that the air entering the air cleaner is so hot as it is all the extra heat added from the supercharger.

Also, compressors draw an enormous amount of power. It would be really hard to provide enough electrical power to drive it, even if it were just for a little while. Power is power, whether it is electrical or mechanical.

03LightningRocks
08-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Is a epy-fanny kind of like a brain fart:rll: ?

Not a bad line of thinking...just a couple of "issues". The first is that the refrigerant must be compressed to release the heat it has picked up from the air stream. So a simple "pump" is out. The refrigerant won't pick up heat simply by circulating around.
The second is the point Doug made. I haven't put the numbers to it, but it could concievably take even more than the two tons he speaks of to cool the amount of air quick enough to compensate for the velocity it would be traveling across the coils.

Now cooling the intercooler water may just be do-able....but only for a short blast and only after several minutes of pre-cooling......sound familiar?

Not a bad line of thinking though:beer:

Rocks

cpeapea
08-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Hey Ron, maybe we can run a 3 phase 480 line to your truck and power a rather large a/c unit. (btw an alternator can generate 3 phase electricity before its rectified) we'll just chunk the condenser in the bed :d

now we just need a 1/4 mile long extension cord

03LightningRocks
08-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Hey Ron, maybe we can run a 3 phase 480 line to your truck and power a rather large a/c unit. (btw an alternator can generate 3 phase electricity before its rectified) we'll just chunk the condenser in the bed :d

now we just need a 1/4 mile long extension cord

I have a 25 and a 50 footer. Now we just need a few more cord contributers and we are set:nana2

anglerx007
08-26-2004, 09:56 PM
I have a 25 and a 50 footer. Now we just need a few more cord contributers and we are set:nana2

Forget the extention cords. Use ICE packs :D

my2002lightning
08-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Uncle Rocks,

Exactly, sort of how the Gen. 3 cycles the A/C coolant to the S/C for the 500/500 #s.

Route that A/C cooling to a cone-shaped radiator cooling cone around an intake filter and see what happens for the Gen. 2s.

Just my $.02.

Is a epy-fanny kind of like a brain fart:rll: ?

Not a bad line of thinking...just a couple of "issues". The first is that the refrigerant must be compressed to release the heat it has picked up from the air stream. So a simple "pump" is out. The refrigerant won't pick up heat simply by circulating around.
The second is the point Doug made. I haven't put the numbers to it, but it could concievably take even more than the two tons he speaks of to cool the amount of air quick enough to compensate for the velocity it would be traveling across the coils.

Now cooling the intercooler water may just be do-able....but only for a short blast and only after several minutes of pre-cooling......sound familiar?

Not a bad line of thinking though:beer:

Rocks

skalywags
08-27-2004, 12:21 AM
I have a 25 and a 50 footer. Now we just need a few more cord contributers and we are set:nana2 If still needed I have a couple 25 footers