PDA

View Full Version : Race Fuel In Stock! ( POLL FROM 2004)

L8 APEX
10-11-2004, 06:07 PM
As mentioned a while back I am going to carry race fuel for my customers. This will ease some of the hassles associated with trying to find good fuel locally. This will also aid us when dyno tuning race programs. I have a few fuel cans if anyone needs one. I am going to pre-fab some lids with spouts on them. I will make a poll for grins. There are two unleaded fuels I can carry both are Sunoco products. One is GT100 (http://www.racegas.com/fuelspecs/sunocogtunleaded.htm) it is clean 100 octane fuel which is good enough for 80% of the trucks out there. Then there is GT+104 (http://www.racegas.com/fuelspecs/default.asp) which is more costly and has more octane and higher oxygen level in the fuel. I plan on carrying 104 to start with. Race fuel is expensive compared to pump gas but it is cheap insurance compared to an engine.:tu:

tliss
10-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Gotta have minimum 103 on my race programs, so 104 or higher would be my preference. However, I'll only get serious and buy race fuel a couple of times a year, since I don't really race all that much.

Tom

L8 APEX
10-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Gotta have minimum 103 on my race programs, so 104 or higher would be my preference. However, I'll only get serious and buy race fuel a couple of times a year, since I don't really race all that much.

TomThis GT104 is the highest octane unleaded fuel they make. The next step up is 110 octane leaded. Which if used sparingly may not kill your O2's and cats but is a risk.. We'll have a drum of GT104 this Friday and two new clear 5 gal fuel jugs ready as well:tu:

FRDRCING
10-11-2004, 09:57 PM
my minimun is 102 so will work for me :D

BC Lightning
10-11-2004, 10:30 PM
so how will this work for me since my race tune is for 100, can it be changed easily to 104? if so will this be better/worse? Also, I guess I'll drop off my truck on Saturday to get the small installs and one of the jugs with 104 octane.

L8 APEX
10-11-2004, 10:37 PM
so how will this work for me since my race tune is for 100, can it be changed easily to 104? if so will this be better/worse? Also, I guess I'll drop off my truck on Saturday to get the small installs and one of the jugs with 104 octane. It'll be you and your truck there on Saturday:D . I worked this last weekend. A race/100 octane tune is a figure of speech. Most folks run 93 pump gas down to a 1/4 tank or less. Then add 5 gallons of 104 which mixes with the 93 octane pump gas. This blend usually yields about an effective 98 octane mix. If you mix 100 octane you end up with 96 octane effective. At a 1/4 tank you have about 8 gallons of 93 in your tank. The lower your tank the more effective the race fuel. Most tuners don't make very strong race programs mail order. I have seen customers flip to race programs on the street/dyno without any race fuel(to get more power). Or like Bobby leave your race tune on after you leave the track and call me complaining about detonation:hammer: . My SCT tunes DO require 100 octane so don't play with them.

BC Lightning
10-11-2004, 10:48 PM
thats what I needed to here, and I guess i can stay up there and be your cheerleader while your slaving over my truck

03LightningRocks
10-12-2004, 12:32 AM

Tom

Hey Tom,

I am thinking that you have either misunderstood what Swanson told you....or he is about the most dangerous tuner out there.

Think about it for a minute. If your tune is truly set up for 103 octane, how the heck are you going to get the gas in your tank to a true 103 octane? You would have to drive your truck untill it runs out of gas.....then you would still have about a gallon of gas left in the tank. Then you would have to add 10 gallons of 104...which as Terry says...is the highest unleaded available right now.

I am betting on one of the following. A) He just told you that to give you wood. or B) You misunderstood something he said.

Rocks:cool:

03LightningRocks
10-12-2004, 12:57 AM
My reponse to the octane question is....104 actually ends up being easier and cheaper to use.

Do the math like this fellows. How ever many gallons of 93 you have in your tank+ however many gallons of 104 you add to your tank....divided by the total amount of gallons in your tank after the added 104.

Example: (3 gallons of 93 octane = 279) + (3 gallons of 104 octane = 312)
279 + 312 = 591
591/6 total gallons of gas = 98.5

:eek: In the example above, you still do not have 100 octane in your tank.:eek:

So the math is real simple.........add more 104 octane:D .

Example: (3 gallons of 93 octane = 279) + ( 6 gallons of 104 octane = 624)

279 + 624 = 903
903/9 total gallons of gas = 100.333333
In the second example you see that you are now at a true 100 octane in your tank...and are almost ready to race. Don't forget that you need to run your truck at a low RPM for a few minutes to get the 93 out of the fuel lines and injectors. I usually drive around the parking lot a few times. This not only warms my tranny fluid to operating temps...but also helps to mix the fuel up in the tank a little bit.

Just for fun...try the math above using 100 octane.....to see how many gallons of the 100 octane you would have to buy to get your tank up to 100 octane.............you will find that the 104 is cheaper in the long run...by a crap load.

By the way...the GT+ that Terry is stocking is a true 104 pump rating:tu: .

Rocks.........AKA...Octane God;)

tliss
10-12-2004, 05:57 AM
I am betting on one of the following. A) He just told you that to give you wood. or B) You misunderstood something he said.

Rocks:cool:
You said wood....:D

He said 103, but that's probably a little on the liberal side. I've dumped race fuel on top of a 1/8 of a tank without detonation on my race programs, so I'm cool. Bottom line is I'd prefer the higher octane...it's just safer that way IMO.

Tom

Mark #2
10-12-2004, 08:27 AM
Terry,
Have you looked at CPChem fuels?
http://www.cpchem.com/tds_unsecured/TT105RacingFuel.pdf

I have been considered buying a drum. Ron, don't you store you own racing fuels?
Mark

Silver_2000
10-12-2004, 08:44 AM
Im no fuel expert BUT long term storage of race fuel would tend to cause the loss of the high end volatiles... In other words the parts of he fuel that are the MOST flammable ( easiest to evaporate ) will tend to go away as you store the fuel in an opened drum for months and months.

Perhaps Performance research should have a northeren fuel facility and a southern facility - That way no ones fuel gets old ... :nana2

Mark #2
10-12-2004, 08:52 AM
Im no fuel expert BUT long term storage of race fuel would tend to cause the loss of the high end volatiles... In other words the parts of he fuel that are the MOST flammable ( easiest to evaporate ) will tend to go away as you store the fuel in an opened drum for months and months.

Perhaps Performance research should have a northeren fuel facility and a southern facility - That way no ones fuel gets old ... :nana2
Drums have caps, according to the manufactuer CP(Chevron/Phillips), as long as you store capped, the fuel is good for many years.

03LightningRocks
10-12-2004, 09:07 AM
Terry,
Have you looked at CPChem fuels?
http://www.cpchem.com/tds_unsecured/TT105RacingFuel.pdf

I have been considered buying a drum. Ron, don't you store you own racing fuels?
MarkThe CPChem fuels where over priced the last time I checked on them. They wanted about 2 dollers a gallon more than the GT+. I have used both and it is not worth an extra 2 bucks a gallon for 1 octane more at that level.

As for storing fuel.....yes I do and the fuel really doesn't break down in the shorter terms(meaning within 8 months to a year). A drum is only 54 gallons and the cap on it screws back down, making for an air tight seal. I go through 54 gallons in about 5-6 trips to the track. Terry will be needing another drum way before any break down even becomes a slight possibility. That is as long as the West side gangs start buying fuel from him.

One thing Mark. I don't store the fuel at my house...LOL. I keep it at my Office/Warehouse. I am not sure if the City codes prohibit storing drums of fuel in residential dwellings.
Rocks:beer:

bobbywade69
10-12-2004, 04:19 PM
I remeber those days!!! :nono:

Or like Bobby leave your race tune on after you leave the track and call me complaining about detonation:hammer: . My SCT tunes DO require 100 octane so don't play with them.[/QUOTE]

Mark #2
10-12-2004, 04:34 PM
The CPChem fuels where over priced the last time I checked on them. They wanted about 2 dollers a gallon more than the GT+. I have used both and it is not worth an extra 2 bucks a gallon for 1 octane more at that level.

As for storing fuel.....yes I do and the fuel really doesn't break down in the shorter terms(meaning within 8 months to a year). A drum is only 54 gallons and the cap on it screws back down, making for an air tight seal. I go through 54 gallons in about 5-6 trips to the track. Terry will be needing another drum way before any break down even becomes a slight possibility. That is as long as the West side gangs start buying fuel from him.

One thing Mark. I don't store the fuel at my house...LOL. I keep it at my Office/Warehouse. I am not sure if the City codes prohibit storing drums of fuel in residential dwellings.
I have a detached garage, so it is zoned differently;)

L8 APEX
10-16-2004, 07:37 PM
It was a lot of work and expense but we are now setup with Sunoco GT Plus 104. Here are the first 15 gallons being delivered:tu:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15CIMG1105.JPG

03LightningRocks
10-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Hey Terry,

Not to rain on the parade,but those gas cans won't fit in the back of our trucks if we have a hard cover. Then again, if for some reason, those particular containers will let me know.

Excellent news on the GT+...........goos yob man:cool:

Rocks:nana2

L8 APEX
10-17-2004, 02:51 AM
I just fill up what the customer brings it is up to them to know what fits in their trucks. I am your local race gas Gomer fill'er up:tu: .
http://www.mayberry.com/interactive/wcard/cast_pic_gomer.gif

tliss
10-17-2004, 10:12 AM
I just fill up what the customer brings it is up to them to know what fits in their trucks. I am your local race gas Gomer fill'er up:tu: .
You going to be available to get some early Sunday morning next weekend, or are you coming to Ennis for the TMCC event with gas? I'm probably going to have to get some, but won't be able to make it down until I'm on my way.

If not, I'll run on my street program. Lemme know.

Tom

L8 APEX
10-17-2004, 11:59 PM
You going to be available to get some early Sunday morning next weekend, or are you coming to Ennis for the TMCC event with gas? I'm probably going to have to get some, but won't be able to make it down until I'm on my way.

If not, I'll run on my street program. Lemme know.

TomI can send it with Adam if it works out. Prices may change with every drum due to cost at the time of purchase. This drum is $5.50 a gallon which whould be competitive or better than most tracks, and you know what you are getting. I know I paid 5.50 for cheapo 100 octane a month ago it stunk ran like 93:bs . PS: I ran straight 104 in my race quad today and in my buddy's race bike and I could feel a significant differnece. That is a first for me to feel good fuel make a noticable difference in power.:tu:

tliss
10-18-2004, 06:07 AM
I'll let you know for sure by Friday morning if I'll need it or not. It all depends on if I am going or not (not really sure at this time now) and if I can run down the gas tank enough before then.

I'll post something up Friday morning.

Tom

Silver_2000
10-18-2004, 06:31 AM
I can send it with Adam if it works out. Prices may change with every drum due to cost at the time of purchase. This drum is $5.50 a gallon which whould be competitive or better than most tracks, and you know what you are getting. I know I paid 5.50 for cheapo 100 octane a month ago it stunk ran like 93:bs . PS: I ran straight 104 in my race quad today and in my buddy's race bike and I could feel a significant differnece. That is a first for me to feel good fuel make a noticable difference in power.:tu:
If the octane only helps prevent detonation how can it make a seat of the pants difference unless you have adjusted the tune

L8 APEX
10-18-2004, 11:26 AM
It is not just an octane number is the the oxygen and the total contents of the fuel that makes more power. Pump gas is watered down eco-restricted crap.

It would take a smart person to describe it properly but.. Gas is a crappy formulation full of alcohol and other ingredients to make for better emissions and cleaner valves etc. It is just good enough to drive the average street car on. Racing fuel is a true fuel not gasoline. I am not sure the oxygen content of regular pump gas or how long it stays before evaporating out. But the data sheet on this GT Plus states it is highly oxygenated at 4.5%. So I am sure that helps make more power as well. It has a lot more energy per volume than gasoline. It burns longer and more completely thus making more power. Both of our off road machines are high compression and have competition cams in them. The manual says 92 octane or higher. We had been running a 50/50 mix of 93 and 100 octane from Kennedale. I thought this was a good combo before this weekend. We ran the same track with straight fresh GT Plus this time and the engine was a LOT more responsive than before. I actualy had to use less throttle to clear the same jumps as before when I held it pinned. Everyone knows pump gas is govt issued rations. Anyone wanting to make serious power uses a quality aftermarket fuel. I don't know of a single racing bred engine that would even run on pump gas. There are some customers pushing their L's hard enough that quality fuel like GT Plus is what keeps them together at higher performance levels. Take Rocks running 20-23lbs of KenneBell boost and 21-24 degrees of timing for the last two seasons. That engine would die on pump gas. I asked Tommy of Outrageous Performance how he got 600+ hp out of a stock head engine. He said he runs straight C116 which is LEADED 116 octane race fuel and 28' timing and 20#s boost. Supra's know this all too well they make 450hp on pump gas and 650 on C116. Now that is kind of cheating because at that level the fuel is caustic to stock fuel system components and eats up seals, O-rings, and lines. But it is an illistration of how fuel makes or even limits your power. Todays cars are high tech and make excellent power from the crappy gasolines available, but they are relatively de-tuned from what they can produce on a good fuel:tu: . As for my SOTP differnece I am sure my camshaft and high compression make it possible for the engine to benefit from the better more oxygenated fuel.

BC Lightning
10-18-2004, 11:27 AM
I need a jug and 5 gallons, I'll pick it up on thursday when I drop the truck off, my buddy with the Z400 might also want 5 gallons for when we go riding

L8 APEX
10-19-2004, 09:59 PM
After talking with the guys at Kennedale it is confirmed they only sell 100 octane when they have it. I thought this was true when I bought some for my quad last time. I remember it smelled crappy and ran like pump gas:bs . I will order another drum of 104 as long as TALON members keep it flowing:tu: .

99WhiteBeast
10-20-2004, 11:24 AM
I am not sure if the City codes prohibit storing drums of fuel in residential dwellings.
The city probably doesn't have a code specific but it would be heck trying to explain that to the insurance company if it ever caught fire or something:eek:

03LightningRocks
10-22-2004, 05:47 PM
The city probably doesn't have a code specific but it would be heck trying to explain that to the insurance company if it ever caught fire or something:eek:

Even worse, the house catches fire somewhere else while I am not home, and the fire fighters get blown up while trying to save my house.

Rocks

tliss
10-23-2004, 09:29 AM
I'll let you know for sure by Friday morning if I'll need it or not. It all depends on if I am going or not (not really sure at this time now) and if I can run down the gas tank enough before then.

I'll post something up Friday morning.

Tom
Well, a little late but I'm keeping my promise. Don't worry about sending fuel with Adam. I'm going to have to skip out on this one.

Tom