PDA

View Full Version : Transmission went out

00Bolt
11-03-2004, 04:58 PM
.... on wifes car. Has a BMW 328i with only 45k miles and tranny warning light came on yesterday and went into "safe mode" and shifted real weird while in safe mode...

took to dealer and they took a look at it called me back... said it needs a whole new tranny... they charge about $5500 parts/labor because its that fancy kind with auto/manual and all computerized..... I was stunned because I thought my warranty was out and we didnt get extended warranty (will now).. luckly warranty goes out at 50k miles and BMW gonna replace it for us....

whoohoo, thank god!!!!

PoorSvtman
11-03-2004, 08:10 PM
My friend in austin has a bmw like yours.... its been in the shop about every month for something different.. his tranny went out last year...

WA 2 FST
11-03-2004, 09:27 PM
man, you have not had any luck lately! Glad it wasn't the L, and glad it is under warranty. $5500 is a friggin' rip off for a transmission. I realize its one of those auto/man ones, but that's really not a big deal. Does the cost include a new torque converter, too?

wesman
11-03-2004, 11:43 PM
I traded in the wifes 328CI because of all the problems it had. It just recently got a airbag warning light, apparently it is a sensor in the seatbelt that is $198 to replace. Apparently the airbag doesn't operate if this sensor is out.....niiiiiicceeee

This was the last of the electrical/charging (needed new battery, alt started going out it seems and killed one) issues that I could put up with. Sent that POS on it's way.

--wes

TXBLU
11-04-2004, 12:16 AM
You really dodged a big 'ol bullet with that one! Hats off to BMW!! The 528i we had was a nearly flawless machine. I hope my wife's Audi S4 never has that problem. It has an auto 'box with both a sport and manual mode with paddles behind the steering wheel. Hell of a fun machine, but not as quick as the L. Maybe with a Borla exhaust system, a chip, some head work, cams,....http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/statiictongue.gif

00Bolt
11-04-2004, 07:19 AM
whats cool is the Dinan doesnt void warranty.... car has Dinan exhaust (not loud at all though), cold air kit and a reprogrammed cpu...

just found out, my "time" warranty is OUT... its been the 4yrs, just not the 50k miles... so BMW ROCKS to covering this!!!!!

warranty has been out for like 2 months.... WOW!!!! i got lucky