PDA

View Full Version : exhibition of acceleration

Jester
11-09-2004, 05:40 PM
I was pulled over in the same town that I volunteer for as a firefighter by a cop that I have worked with before! He gave me a ticket for exhibition of acceleration and one for not having a front license plate and a warning for having 1/4 of TEXAS on the rear plate covered. I never came close to getting on the accelerator, and I never broke the rear end. I know the Wild system and the supercharger whine didn't help, but I was shocked. I told him that in my mind it was not excessive and it was something I wouldn't be afraid to do in front of any police officer, and the only reason that I drove by and made it sound so loud was because I knew the cops and I was just saying hey as I drove by, but he told me to go to the judge if I had a problem. I almost lost my temper, but I held the yelling to a minimum, I sure hope they don't put the video of it on cops, anyway anyone else had this problem? I talked to an officer from the metroplex today while I was at work about it and he said that law is very hard to judge and it's really gone, and the law that replaced it was excessive wheel spinning. I'm going to contest it. The judge's son is a volunteer with me so Im hoping he'll understand, because I sure don't! Any tips?

jeff56
11-09-2004, 05:46 PM
I'd check and see if they have a city ordinance reference that...othewise, it's not a good ticket. See the other post on this subject for more info. I doubt they have an ordinance against it....there's a high probability the officer wasn't clued in on the changes in the law. Then again, I could be wrong...call the court or the pd and see if they have a city ordinance on exhibition of acceleration.

Did he hit you with the no front LP before or after you got mad?

SILVER2000SVT
11-09-2004, 06:53 PM
I got one a few years back for exactly the same thing, never spun or anything, just loud exhaust. If you never broke your tires loose there is absolutely no way it can hold up in court. I just ended up giving mine to the lawyer and for $35 he got it dropped after a couple of appearances in court, that I didn't have to attend.

00Bolt
11-09-2004, 07:23 PM
:bs

PoorSvtman
11-09-2004, 08:36 PM
i have a few exhibition of acceleration/ racing tickets in the past.... one i had to give to a lawyer because i was on deffered for one ticket and on the defensive driving for another.... The one that exhibition of acceleration ticket i got and did deffered on (deffered normaly pay amount of ticket and dosent go on record) was $175 few years ago.. I got of lite considering we were racing down a service road and the cop saw us and cut threw a side street and was on our ass in a flash

98Cobra
11-09-2004, 09:01 PM
I was pulled over in the same town that I volunteer for as a firefighter by a cop that I have worked with before! He gave me a ticket for exhibition of acceleration and one for not having a front license plate and a warning for having 1/4 of TEXAS on the rear plate covered. I never came close to getting on the accelerator, and I never broke the rear end. I know the Wild system and the supercharger whine didn't help, but I was shocked. I told him that in my mind it was not excessive and it was something I wouldn't be afraid to do in front of any police officer, and the only reason that I drove by and made it sound so loud was because I knew the cops and I was just saying hey as I drove by, but he told me to go to the judge if I had a problem. I almost lost my temper, but I held the yelling to a minimum, I sure hope they don't put the video of it on cops, anyway anyone else had this problem? I talked to an officer from the metroplex today while I was at work about it and he said that law is very hard to judge and it's really gone, and the law that replaced it was excessive wheel spinning. I'm going to contest it. The judge's son is a volunteer with me so Im hoping he'll understand, because I sure don't! Any tips?
What are you leaving out? Did you sleep with his wife or something? :nono:

:d

my2002lightning
11-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Austin,

You might tell the judge that there was no way for you to mount the license plate on the front of your L since it didn't come factory setup for it. It's a long-shot.

I've been pulled over 2x recently (77/55 speeding and an illegal u-turn, almost back-to-back) and neither coppers said a thing about the SVT license frame that covers like the lower 1/4 of the TEXAS of my back license plate. It's hit-and-miss on that license plate frame enforcement.:bs

You should've used the old "I'm about to sh!t my pants, officer! :eek: That's why I'm in a hurry!" defense. I hear it works. :D

Good luck in court.

L8 APEX
11-09-2004, 10:41 PM
I would take a pic of the plate affixed to court with you it may dismiss that citation.

Jester
11-10-2004, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the info, i don't know what I did to piss him off, and the first thing he did was make me get out of the truck and he did a walk around and started yelling out everything that was wrong with my truck and my driving. He acted like he had a grudge against me. I've never been treated that badly by a cop even before I was a firefighter. I'm going to do my best to get this dropped, thanks for the info.

Max Mitchell
11-10-2004, 10:09 AM
Don't pay the ticket. Visit the "Area" attorney BEFORE the arraignment with a picture of your rear tag in full view (temporary is fine) and with your front tag installed (temporary with zip ties is fine). Test his willingness to drop both tickets. If he's a jack, you'll know how their "system" works. After that, go to the arraignment. You can only plead no contest (which is guilty), guilty, or not guilty. Decent judges won't hear one sided evidence at this time. Plead not guilty and a date will be set for your trial. Bring your photos to trial. Testify as to your treatment and your opinion on the spinning/acceleration. Judges work with cops everyday and commonly rule with the officers. Many jurisdictions just want your money and will let the officers lie and then rule against even the best evidence. Contesting is the only chance to get the ticket dismissed at this point. Go through the BS and hope you get a break somewhere along the way. Ask everyone for a dismissal, a reduction in charges, approved traffic school, or a deferral...in that order. Good luck.

anglerx007
11-10-2004, 05:12 PM

Any chance you might divulge the name of the town. I see your from Sherman, I don't live far from there.

99WhiteBeast
11-10-2004, 06:39 PM
I think I would have showed what exhibition of acceleration is in a Lightning just so he knows in the future.

a big ole smokey:burnout: burnout