PDA

View Full Version : Reminder: check your tires for nails.

my2002lightning
11-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Over lunch break, I just found a big roofing nail head stuck in between the tread-blocks of my right-rear Toyo. Luckily, it isn't leaking yet.

I know alot of the modded in TALON drive a bit faster and a tire failure at speed would NOT be a pleasant experience. :hammer:

I suppose I'll be limping it over to Discount Tire after work to get it replaced - got the extended warranty on them.

I've always heard that on high-performance tires, you don't want to patch/plug these tires - just replace them. Correct?

If I get it replaced - as I'm sure I will - I can work a deal with someone on TALON to get it for a spare. It only has approx. 6K miles and tons of tread.

Ronald

Tex Arcana
11-15-2004, 03:17 PM
Over lunch break, I just found a big roofing nail head stuck in between the tread-blocks of my right-rear Toyo. Luckily, it isn't leaking yet.

I know alot of the modded in TALON drive a bit faster and a tire failure at speed would NOT be a pleasant experience. :hammer:

I suppose I'll be limping it over to Discount Tire after work to get it replaced - got the extended warranty on them.

I've always heard that on high-performance tires, you don't want to patch/plug these tires - just replace them. Correct?

If I get it replaced - as I'm sure I will - I can work a deal with someone on TALON to get it for a spare. It only has approx. 6K miles and tons of tread.

Ronald

If the nail is within 1/2" of the edge of the tread, or in the sidewall, they will NOT repair it; nor will they repair a tire more than 3 times. Otherwise, the Discount repair kit is just fine for these tires: they pull the nail, glue in a plug, then lay in a patch on the inside of the tire. Discount does it right, and they let you watch, so you'll feel okay about it.

Don't worry about it: you do'nt drive it fast or hard enough to even get close to stressing them. :evil: