PDA

View Full Version : 2# Pulley... input wanted

rickgig
11-24-2004, 08:08 AM
I can buy a 2# pulley for my 2001 and wanted to know from y'all if you think it's worth it or not?

I can get it for $100 and I guess the biggest advantage would be it's "un-caged" meaning if I ever threw or broke the non-blower belt. I could change the belt without having to pull the pulley off.

Seeing how it's 2#'s, I doubt if I'd have to have my chip re-burned.

Thoughts?

Sixpipes
11-24-2004, 09:09 AM
No reburn required, but you won't notice much difference (if any) with a 2# pulley. :cool:

rickgig
11-24-2004, 09:14 AM
That is my thinking too... Looks like a 100 bucks could be spent better elsewhere!

00Bolt
11-24-2004, 09:26 AM
i think Terry has some 4lb and 6lb in stock..... he was running a special of like $200 installed for 6lb and belt... i say jump on that and then you WILL feel a difference

Silver_2000
11-24-2004, 09:39 AM
No reburn required, but you won't notice much difference (if any) with a 2# pulley. :cool:
I lilked my 2#er right up until I bought my 4#er.... :rll:

Sixpipes
11-24-2004, 09:53 AM
I lilked my 2#er right up until I bought my 4#er.... :rll:
And I really liked my 4#er when I added a 2# upper. :D

FRDRCING
11-24-2004, 10:22 AM
And I really liked my 4#er when I added a 2# upper. :D

How much boost did you pick up with the 2.8 upper? I saw 14lbs with my 4#lower and ported blower, don't wanna go kaboom with the 2.8 upper.

Sixpipes
11-24-2004, 10:49 AM
How much boost did you pick up with the 2.8 upper? I saw 14lbs with my 4#lower and ported blower, don't wanna go kaboom with the 2.8 upper.
I don't know. I never look at my boost guage at WOT. :tongue:

00Bolt
11-24-2004, 10:52 AM
i dont believe its much at all..... like 1lb maybe

BLACKSUNSHINE
11-24-2004, 11:31 AM
Just go straight to a 8#, because you'll get the 2 and want a 4 then get a 4 and want a 6, then get a 6 and want an 8 then...you know what I mean..

SpeedyBolt
11-24-2004, 11:38 AM
Just go straight to a 8#, because you'll get the 2 and want a 4 then get a 4 and want a 6, then get a 6 and want an 8 then...you know what I mean..

This is true! I have a 4# right now and I really would like to step up to a 6#! Maybe I could sell you, rickgig, the 4# for and add some $$$ to it and get a 6# from Terry! :beer: i also have a Diablo flip chip already programed for the 4# that I will make you a hell of a deal on if you are interested in the pulley! You can see all the info on the chip in the F/S section!

WA 2 FST
11-24-2004, 01:47 PM
I disagree with those who do not feel you will gain much, or feel anything, with the 2# pulley. I ran one for a long time on my '99, and this was the first thing I got when I bought my '04.

Granted, it is more effective with a chip and CAI setup. Stock my truck showed 8psi, with the CAI, 10psi (stock gauge), and with the 2# pulley it is at 12psi (as per my Autometer gauge). I cannot tell you what my truck dyno'd stock, but with just the CAI, 2# pulley and chip it is at 376rwhp. The TQ showed only 440rw, but that's b/c the operator got on the throttle too late (past the TQ peak of the motor). I think my #s are pretty solid and its a nice upgrade from stock.

That being said, I just installed a 4# pulley. ;) But with the 2# pulley you don't have to change plugs, which is nice. As others have mentioned, you probably will not need a reburn on your chip... although I did with my '99. It started pinging over 4500rpm once I went with the 2# pulley.

Will you be happy with the 2#er? That probably depends on your driving. My truck is only for the street (will get it to the track once a year or so), and wheelspin is worse with the 4#er than with the 2#. So am I any faster now? I don't know. I'll have it dyno'd next week sometime, so I'll have more data on how my truck responded.

Crawford gave me this 2#er I've got now. If you want to try it, you can for FREE (after all I'm not going to sell it to anyone here) and I have a belt that will work, too. If you decide you want a 4/6# pulley later, I just ask that you let me know, so I can get it back if I want/need it at that time.

Silver_2000
11-24-2004, 02:04 PM
Before you jump to 8 pr more pounds of additional boost due some research and see how many engines werre blown with 4# pulleys and how many with more than that

In my research I found that a VERY small almost insignificant number of blown motors occurred with 4# of boost - ^# and up is where the "fun" starts

if you tune is off or your fuel pump hiccups you might be in trouble

Doug

rickgig
11-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Man... I never expected this type of response to my question although every bit of it is good.

I think I'll buy it and put it on and see what it does. I am not looking for butt kicking power just a little extra here and there. It's a daily driver and I am pushing 70,000 miles on it.

Besides... if I don't like it I can give it to my son that drives a 2003 Harley Davidson pickup... he certainly could use the boost improvement over the stock lower on that truck.

Y'all have a great hoilday...

I got the ham cooking, the turkey thawing, drinks in the fridge and 17 people coming for dinner.

L8 APEX
11-24-2004, 09:41 PM
I loved my 2# pulley I made 392rwhp on a 10.3:1 tune. It use to be the big pulley before things got stupersized;) .

Sixpipes
11-25-2004, 11:49 AM
I disagree with those who do not feel you will gain much, or feel anything, with the 2# pulley. I ran one for a long time on my '99, and this was the first thing I got when I bought my '04.

The difference is all relative. You are more likely to notice some change with a 2# pulley if that is all you are doing. I was over 400 rwhp before I added my 2# pulley and really couldn't tell any difference using the a$$-o-meter. But 2# is better than 0#. :cool:

Silver_2000
11-25-2004, 12:13 PM
The difference is all relative. You are more likely to notice some change with a 2# pulley if that is all you are doing. I was over 400 rwhp before I added my 2# pulley and really couldn't tell any difference using the a$$-o-meter. But 2# is better than 0#. :cool:How were you making 400 HP with no pulley ?

WA 2 FST
11-25-2004, 02:11 PM
Dennis,

I completely agree with making very small mods when you are already at a high threshold of power. 10HP on a 300hp vehicle will be much more noticeable than 10HP on a 400 or 500hp vehicle.

That's another reason I think the KB blower should not be considered a poor mod near the beginning. Sure its pricey, but you can add up all the "little" stuff, spend nearly the same $$ and still not make the same power or have the potential.

02BOLT
11-25-2004, 07:35 PM
It is very possible to make good numbers w/ a 2lb pulley. It was the very first thing Terry put on my truck. With a good tune (right at 12.0:1 A/F ratio), the truck ran 8.20's in the 1/8 mile and a 13.0 in the 1/4 on Nitto DR's. It dynoed at 397 RWHP and 480 RWTQ. I'm not saying you'll see the same gains, but I am saying, if you're looking for some extra kick and don't want to have to change plugs or fiddle with your tune then, it ain't no punk!:tu:

I did eventually go to the 4lb 'er, but wound up putting the 2lb 'er back on w/ the KB. I still have it and will make you a smokin' deal:eek2: on it if you're interested.

Lemme Know,
Rob

Sixpipes
11-26-2004, 01:58 AM
How were you making 400 HP with no pulley ?This is the dyno run with my old Pro-M 80 MAF with a 4# pulley. I'll see if I can find the older one before I added the 2#. Looking at the A/F you can see why I decided to go to the 90 MAF and a safer tune. My most recent dyno with a 4# lower and 2# upper was 412 rwhp I think. Not as high, but a lot safer on the A/F. :cool:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/8211-300-36975.jpg

Cammin4V
11-26-2004, 09:47 AM
What kind of power gains would you see on a 2000 with the 2#, cold air kit, and an SCT tuner? Is it worth the money to go that route, or is there something else that would do the job?

Reliability is my main issue, so i am more concerned about the care of the engine than anything.

Tex Arcana
11-26-2004, 07:29 PM
Man... I never expected this type of response to my question although every bit of it is good.

I think I'll buy it and put it on and see what it does. I am not looking for butt kicking power just a little extra here and there. It's a daily driver and I am pushing 70,000 miles on it.

Besides... if I don't like it I can give it to my son that drives a 2003 Harley Davidson pickup... he certainly could use the boost improvement over the stock lower on that truck.

Y'all have a great hoilday...

I got the ham cooking, the turkey thawing, drinks in the fridge and 17 people coming for dinner.

Actually, give him your old stock lower... that's the only difference between your L and the blown Harley. That way, he can keep his warranty (if he's concerned), and get the same power level you get now. ;)

Alpine
11-26-2004, 07:34 PM
Actually, give him your old stock lower... that's the only difference between your L and the blown Harley. That way, he can keep his warranty (if he's concerned), and get the same power level you get now. ;)Actually, the stock lowers are the same. The blower pulley(on the snout) is larger on the HD than the L.

Tex Arcana
11-26-2004, 07:45 PM
Actually, the stock lowers are the same. The blower pulley(on the snout) is larger on the HD than the L.

oh, ok... :(