PDA

View Full Version : TexArcana's black tails... almost done!

WA 2 FST
12-01-2004, 11:36 PM
These things are turning out really, really nice. My son said he likes them better than my DSG ones. I think the contrast b/w the black and the red/white lenses is really great. I put two pics of the "almost finished" product in My Gallery.

Hoping to have them done tomorrow for delivery to TexArcana on Friday!

WA 2 FST
12-02-2004, 09:39 AM
All done. :)

00Bolt
12-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Wes, did you do those??? id be interested in doing that because I have the black headlights.....

WA 2 FST
12-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Yes, I did them. It was my second set to do. I did my own in DSG to match my truck.

BLACKSUNSHINE
12-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Those look bad ass. Wes, I've been wanting to do that to my truck for a while, I put them in the oven, then started getting nervous pulled them out. ANYWAYS, im not a big chrome guy so, Im all about the black tails. You mind gining me a hand w/ it? Let me know.

my2002lightning
12-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Wes,

I saw the tails on Tex's L today and they look bad-a$$ on a black L! Very good job on workmanship! :tu: They definitely set the truck off.

I was kind of wondering how a "black cherry" red setup would look on my corners. :bows

I need to become more proficient with Photoshop 7.0 and see what my red '02 L rims in DSG/gunmetal grey (maybe a hint of blue thrown in, also) would look like, too.

I think you just found yourself a side-gig, Wes.:D

00Bolt
12-03-2004, 04:58 PM
id like to see them in person, i thnk that would look sick with my black headlights....

WA 2 FST
12-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Ronald,

Thanks for the compliments! I take pride in my work, and I know John is pleased with his lenses. I was thrilled with how the black turned out.

If I were you, I'd go with a paint-matched color. I'd be afraid of changing the color to a different shade. You can see mine tomorrow, but honestly once you install the clear lense cover back on, there is a slight difference in the shade of paint. I think it looks fine, but I think it'd be a crap shoot if you tried a color that was not the same paint code as the truck.

Just my $.02.

I enjoy doing the lenses, but I'm not going to be able to offer freebies anymore. I have not sat down and calculated my time, but its easily 2.5+ hours per set. The biggest issue is that it cannot all be done in one sitting. It's not something I could "knock out", so to speak, and feel comfortable with the end product. Prep and taping it all off... takes the most time.

Wes,

I saw the tails on Tex's L today and they look bad-a$$ on a black L! Very good job on workmanship! :tu: They definitely set the truck off.

I was kind of wondering how a "black cherry" red setup would look on my corners. :bows

I need to become more proficient with Photoshop 7.0 and see what my red '02 L rims in DSG/gunmetal grey (maybe a hint of blue thrown in, also) would look like, too.

I think you just found yourself a side-gig, Wes.:D

WA 2 FST
12-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Here's a small pic with them on the truck.

Tex Arcana
12-04-2004, 06:16 AM
Hot damn Wes did a good job.. my wife liked 'em, and Ronald damn near broke his jaw when he stepped on it!

Wes, you da man, I owe you bigtime. Ya need a hand, holler and I'll be ready and willing to help!

Again, thanks, it was great, looks fantastic, and I'm damned happy with 'em! :beer: for you at all events!

Tex Arcana
12-06-2004, 12:06 PM
For those of you who aren't convinced it's a good mod, check out THESE pics:

Yeh, it's filthy... :(
http://viral-humanity.info/gallery/albums/arg/PICT0044.jpg

Unintended effect... freaked us both out!
http://viral-humanity.info/gallery/albums/arg/PICT0047.jpg

Yeh, they both look great!
http://viral-humanity.info/gallery/albums/arg/PICT0049.jpg

Okay, I FINALLY washed it, and got some good pics... but I forgot to up the resolution on the camera, dammit--I was *SO* looking forward to making Rocks pops another aneurysm with 1600x1200 pics!! :evil::tongue:
http://viral-humanity.info/gallery/albums/arg/PICT0050.jpg

Dang, this angle shows 'em off NICELY!
http://viral-humanity.info/gallery/albums/arg/PICT0051.jpg

This is a good angle as well:
http://viral-humanity.info/gallery/albums/arg/PICT0062.jpg

Okay, some of you chop-gawds need to do the headlights in black as well:d
http://viral-humanity.info/gallery/albums/arg/PICT0054.jpg

00Bolt
12-06-2004, 12:08 PM
im definitly doing that ..... my only concern is them fogging up or getting water in them when ya wash them.....

Tex Arcana
12-06-2004, 12:12 PM
I enjoy doing the lenses, but I'm not going to be able to offer freebies anymore. I have not sat down and calculated my time, but its easily 2.5+ hours per set. The biggest issue is that it cannot all be done in one sitting. It's not something I could "knock out", so to speak, and feel comfortable with the end product. Prep and taping it all off... takes the most time.

So what *would* you charge to do the work? Of course, there HAS to be a TALON-only discount... :d

WA 2 FST
12-06-2004, 12:59 PM
im definitly doing that ..... my only concern is them fogging up or getting water in them when ya wash them.....Scott... that is a legitimate concern. However, we've all seen this on the stock trucks. I was relieved to find out that there is a breather hole on the backside of the lenses. It is usually covered. I cleaned my lenses (back side) when I pulled them off, so I must have inadvertently opened the hole up. I remember some tape on one of them and I removed it, not paying much attention to what might have been under it. I heard the hole is ~2mm in diameter, so its small.

My right one will fog up occassionally, but not much and when it gets in direct sunlight or warm weather its gone almost immediately (I know it was a bit foggy the day we went to the track).

Anyway, I need to remove the right side lense and check for the breather hole, cover it up and see what happens.

I sealed mine really well and did Tex's too, so I'm thinking that's where I'm getting some vapor/moisture from.

Oh... one other thing (Scott and others). You will not get water sitting in them. That isn't going to happen.

I will be happy to give out the process of how its done, the paint supplier and the adhesive I use. I don't consider any of this proprietary at this point. If someone wants to try it on their own, I'd be more than willing to talk you through the process. :)

WA 2 FST
12-06-2004, 01:02 PM
So what *would* you charge to do the work? Of course, there HAS to be a TALON-only discount... :d
The paint alone is $25. That doesn't count the clear (another $13) b/c it can cover several sets. 2.5+ hours of my time is worth something. I can't see doing them for less than $100 total. I enjoy doing it, but it's tedious, and enjoyed the opportunity to do yours.

If it was just 2.5+ hours in one day it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but there's no way to get it all done like that. You do one part and come back to it later to do another, and the process continues.

Actually 2.5 hours is probably conservative if its going to be done correctly.

Tex Arcana
12-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Scott... that is a legitimate concern. However, we've all seen this on the stock trucks. I was relieved to find out that there is a breather hole on the backside of the lenses. It is usually covered. I cleaned my lenses (back side) when I pulled them off, so I must have inadvertently opened the hole up. I remember some tape on one of them and I removed it, not paying much attention to what might have been under it. I heard the hole is ~2mm in diameter, so its small.

My right one will fog up occassionally, but not much and when it gets in direct sunlight or warm weather its gone almost immediately (I know it was a bit foggy the day we went to the track).

Anyway, I need to remove the right side lense and check for the breather hole, cover it up and see what happens.

I sealed mine really well and did Tex's too, so I'm thinking that's where I'm getting some vapor/moisture from.

Oh... one other thing (Scott and others). You will not get water sitting in them. That isn't going to happen.

I will be happy to give out the process of how its done, the paint supplier and the adhesive I use. I don't consider any of this proprietary at this point. If someone wants to try it on their own, I'd be more than willing to talk you through the process. :)

Wes, the backside of the loaner tails you have tell the tale: the little round blue sticker is actually a small filter mesh, that covers the breather. Hard disk drives use something similar, to allow breathing and prevent junk infiltration. Chances are the one of yours that's fogging has a loose or missing patch. It's on the backside of the tail, so don't worry about pulling the cover, just flip it around and check.

FYI, I ran mine thru the carwash Sat afternoon, and nary a fog is showing. :tu:

Tex Arcana
12-06-2004, 01:09 PM
The paint alone is $25. That doesn't count the clear (another $13) b/c it can cover several sets. 2.5+ hours of my time is worth something. I can't see doing them for less than $100 total. I enjoy doing it, but it's tedious, and enjoyed the opportunity to do yours.

If it was just 2.5+ hours in one day it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but there's no way to get it all done like that. You do one part and come back to it later to do another, and the process continues.

Actually 2.5 hours is probably conservative if its going to be done correctly.

Likely you're right, as for it being a conservative estimate. I'd kick it up to 5 hours, jsut to cover my dithering and ADD. :tongue:

How far does the paint itself go? Do you end up using it all? And does that estimate include the TALON-only discount?? :d

BTW, you were supposed to give me a call, you wank... do it NOW before you forget!! :flaming:

WA 2 FST
12-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Wes, the backside of the loaner tails you have tell the tale: the little round blue sticker is actually a small filter mesh, that covers the breather. Hard disk drives use something similar, to allow breathing and prevent junk infiltration. Chances are the one of yours that's fogging has a loose or missing patch. It's on the backside of the tail, so don't worry about pulling the cover, just flip it around and check.

FYI, I ran mine thru the carwash Sat afternoon, and nary a fog is showing. :tu:
You answered the question, then. I know for a fact I pulled the blue sticker off of one, if not both of them. Not sure why. I know I was cleaning them and saw the sticker and didn't see why it needed to be there.

Glad yours are sealed tight. You actually had a little residue in yours when I pulled them apart.

WA 2 FST
12-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Likely you're right, as for it being a conservative estimate. I'd kick it up to 5 hours, jsut to cover my dithering and ADD. :tongue:

How far does the paint itself go? Do you end up using it all? And does that estimate include the TALON-only discount?? :d

I didn't quite end up using all of the black on yours, but I did do 3 coats of base color on yours vs. only 2 coats on my DSG. The clear was plenty for two pairs of tails. I might have enough to do another set.

Yeah, I can't see doing a pair for less than $100. I'm only making $70 on it, if you include the paint and supplies.

Tex Arcana
12-06-2004, 02:34 PM
I didn't quite end up using all of the black on yours, but I did do 3 coats of base color on yours vs. only 2 coats on my DSG. The clear was plenty for two pairs of tails. I might have enough to do another set.

Yeah, I can't see doing a pair for less than $100. I'm only making $70 on it, if you include the paint and supplies.

Who knows, maybe you've got yourself a cottage industry going here... :D

StormShadow
12-06-2004, 08:16 PM
I wanna see some more pictures of Wes' truck.:tu:

WA 2 FST
12-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Ask and you shall receive. Here's a direct link to the L pics on my webpage.
http://www.wa2fst.com/7.html

Once I get the HRE's on, you can bet I'll post some more up.

Beaudee
12-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Does your mod come with playing cards and clothes pins?I bet you had a vroooom engine on your bike when you were a kid.Just kidden looks cool :d

blueoval01
12-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Man, the DSG looks good in the sunshine ...... "sigh" ..... http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

r1eater
12-12-2004, 10:40 PM

You just like it cause its DSG :)

Adam, you should get those tail lights on your truck. They look pretty sweet on his truck in those pictures.

StormShadow
12-12-2004, 11:04 PM
You just like it cause its DSG :)

Adam, you should get those tail lights on your truck. They look pretty sweet on his truck in those pictures.
I'm waiting on him to do the fronts so I can get a package deal! :tu:
(hint hint)

my2002lightning
12-12-2004, 11:33 PM
Yes, Wes does excellent work! But, he's a busy man and it looks like L tail-mods are a tad time consuming - I can understand.

Looking fwd. to seeing the DSG tail-mod this week in person when I pick up the Bilsteins.
Maybe I'll take/post some "Uncle Rocks/anyurism" pics for ya'll. knana

J/K, Ron! :rll: :tu:

StormShadow
12-12-2004, 11:39 PM
Yes Ronald it is time consuming but thats because Wes does it right. I thought I read where he would do it in his spare time for the right price. :confused: So maybe I will get lucky after all. On the other hand he may not want a lot of people copying his truck's look.

Tex Arcana
12-13-2004, 02:04 PM
Yes Ronald it is time consuming but thats because Wes does it right. I thought I read where he would do it in his spare time for the right price. :confused: So maybe I will get lucky after all. On the other hand he may not want a lot of people copying his truck's look.

As he said earlier, it's damned time-consuming. He did a great job, but I think he has slightly bigger fish to fry. ;)

Actually, I can do everything except the paint, maybe some of us can set up some form of cottage industry. :D

WA 2 FST
12-13-2004, 02:16 PM
I'm more than willing to do it. It just takes time, and so its not something that can be done in an afternoon.

I'm not going to attempt to do the front headlights. Too expensive if it gets screwed up.

Tex Arcana
12-13-2004, 02:32 PM
I'm more than willing to do it. It just takes time, and so its not something that can be done in an afternoon.

I'm not going to attempt to do the front headlights. Too expensive if it gets screwed up.

Yeah, I've decided that the front's aren't gonna happen, unless I put in an aftermarket kit. I wanna go look at '00Bolt's set in situ, to see how the light looks at night from the driver's seat, and make a decision from there.

Like I said: maybe a few of us in the vicinity can get together and do it as a cottage industry. :D