PDA

View Full Version : Long Tube sizes

SpeedyBolt
12-27-2004, 11:05 AM
I am looking at buying headers soon and am trying to find something specific for my choice.

Does anybody know if someone makes these......
1"3/4 primary tubes
3" collector
Must be long tubes!!!

cpeapea
12-27-2004, 07:40 PM
i know the kooks and probably the dynatechs have 3 inch collectors and probably have something close to 1 3/4 maybe 1 5/8 primaries

02BOLT
12-27-2004, 08:20 PM
The KOOKS long tubes are 1 5/8" primaries with 2 1/2" collectors if I'm not mistaken. I remember reading in MM&FF(a while back), when they put a set on Evan Smith's "refigerator"('99 white Lightning), that during KOOKS' R&D of the long tubes for the L, the 1 5/8" primaries responded more favorably, than the larger primaries did. I don't know what I did with that article.

As far as I know, most all of the LT's designed for the L utilize 1 5/8" primaries. There is a nice step header offered(not sure if it's KOOKS or not), that works well from what I've read on the various boards. The KOOKS 1 5/8" headers seem to be, by far the most popular(commonly used) in the L community.

At any rate, I can tell you from experience that the KOOKS 1 5/8" Long Tubes work just fine and sound BAD A$$!:tu:

SpeedyBolt
12-27-2004, 08:55 PM
The collector size is the thing I'm most concernd with. I really want a 3" collector to run full 3" exhaust! You don't get the full effect of a X-pipe if you have to step the exhaust down at the collector.(At least thats what Dr. Gas told me)

03LightningRocks
12-27-2004, 09:26 PM
You may want to be careful about running to large of an exhaust. You'll kill the sh!t out of your low end torque. Keeping the velocity of the exhaust gas up is the issue.

I hate to sound silly, but I have no idea who Dr. Gas is. Does he specialize in Ricers or Chevy's. I am not trying to be insulting, but I have noticed the "car" crowd, have different parameters to work with. Car guys generally, fork up truck exhaust apps.

FRDRCING
12-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Dr. Gas makes x-pipes for the mustangs,camero's so Have never heard of him doing anything for a Lightning.

03LightningRocks
12-27-2004, 10:04 PM
Dr. Gas makes x-pipes for the mustangs,camero's so Have never heard of him doing anything for a Lightning.

Yep...I just found his web sight. He doesn't seem to have anything for Lightnings. I would be careful about setting up the exhaust on a truck based on what works good for cars.

Torque loss is usually the end result........we sure don't want to loose any torque. It takes every lb we can get to move a 4500 lb truck.......:beer: .

BLACKSUNSHINE
01-03-2005, 01:33 PM
I have dynatech stainless headers. These are the only specs I could find (1-5/8 headers, 2-½ x 2-½ Y-pipe) can anyone explain those specs...nice headers though.

SpeedyBolt
01-05-2005, 12:59 PM
My thinking behind the full 3" exhaust was the power level of these trucks. I run Hooker Long tubes on my Trans Am with a 3" collector, I have a custom built y-pipe after that. It is basically 3" from the headers and joins to a single 3" back to the muffler. This set-up produced a ****-load of torque, more than your standard Lt-1 car should put out with the typical mods I have.

That is why I was thinking of running a full 3" on the L. Dr. Gas hasn't made anything L specific yet. He does, however, make a tadem x-pipe that would work very well on the L! Or I could just go stupid with it and put one of those NASCAR Boomtubes on it! :rll: :rll:

L8 APEX
01-05-2005, 01:58 PM
What Kooks and JDM etc have done is tune the exhaust to the characteristics of the engine. They tried larger primaries and 3-4" etc and all lsot power over what they settled on. A tested and tuned complete system is better than, the bigger is better theory.