PDA

View Full Version : Madfan electric fan kit

Robert in Argyle
02-25-2005, 10:34 AM
This kit reportedly has two advantages: 1) fan installed backwards for more space between fan and motor- Is this really an advantage? Does the fan operate as efficiently backwards? 2) more sophisticated controller allowing the fan to switch on only when AC condenser reaches a given temp- as opposed to operating at all times when the AC is on. Any thoughts about these claims? Website is www.madenterprise.com (http://www.madenterprise.com/)

L8 APEX
02-25-2005, 10:40 AM
Shame on you Dr Bob! That wiring looks like a fire hazard:hammer: . You always want air through your A/C condenser not only when it gets hot. There is always someone out there trying to make it cheaper:rolleyes: . How do you like the bars?

Robert in Argyle
02-25-2005, 11:22 AM
Hey Terry- It was early in the AM and I didn't want to wake you up. The bars are a definite improvement- I had to find some safe opportunities to make some fast transitions to really feel the difference. Anyway- I wasn't looking for cheaper- the idea of having the fan on with the AC at over 30-40 mph seems redundant, but what do I know anyway. SO- get me the fan kit please and lets get it installed.

L8 APEX
02-25-2005, 11:28 AM
In theory you are right but those cheap clickson type thermal switches are not going to have a long term reliability. He is using a Ford fan like I do but the wiring harness is where he is cheaping out. We use all weather-pak connections and relays.

Robert in Argyle
02-25-2005, 11:36 AM
With your wiring pack, can we set up a temp controlled AC switch?:D

Tex Arcana
02-28-2005, 01:21 PM
So if you reverse the fan, doesn't that reverse the fan flow, making it useless when you're moving?? :d

Robert in Argyle
02-28-2005, 03:15 PM
They reverse the polarity of the wiring thus allowing the fan to pull air through the shroud as normal.

Tex Arcana
02-28-2005, 04:27 PM
They reverse the polarity of the wiring thus allowing the fan to pull air through the shroud as normal.
Sooo... the fan blades are running reverse to the direction they are supposed to? Wouldn't that reduce their efficiency?

Robert in Argyle
03-01-2005, 11:28 AM
That was exactly my question- one of them anyway.

Tex Arcana
03-07-2005, 12:16 PM
That was exactly my question- one of them anyway.
The way I see it, that setup just introduces too many questions... besides, I'd rather a dual-fan setup. ;)

Robert in Argyle
03-07-2005, 12:27 PM
How is the dual fan setup better than the single?

Tex Arcana
03-07-2005, 12:46 PM
MMmmm.. good question... I'd say that you get more airflow and the ability to tailor the flow by only having one fan running, or both. Also, those come in a kit as well, tho to be honest I saw a kit that had a large single fan that looked good and supposedly worked better than stock.

I'm still having problems visualizing that MadFan setup, tho, and wonder if there's any pics of one installed?

Robert in Argyle
03-07-2005, 05:33 PM
For me, the most important concern would be cooling capacity down here in Texas. The only pictures I found were on the website.

Max Mitchell
03-08-2005, 09:58 AM

The dual fan setups mount directly over the radiator, covering most of the core up and the Ford-style fan in factory shroud design partially mounts below the radiator, like the factory unit, and must direct air through the radiator. Also, with dual fans, if one craps out, the second can be a backup, depending on control wiring.