PDA

View Full Version : Noise Reduction

TXBLU
03-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Has anybody ever come up with a good way to muffle the noise that gets into the cab from the vents in the back wall? I closed mine off for a while with some dynamat sheets, and it really cut the noise down nicely. On the down side, it made it harder to close the doors with the windows up, and it eventually popped the seal in one corner of of the windshield. Water leaks suck!

I was thinking of making some kind of muffler box that connects the two vents together inside the cab. Anybody have any bright ideas?

L8 APEX
03-10-2005, 10:52 PM
The most noise comes from the B pillars and roof.

Tex Arcana
03-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Has anybody ever come up with a good way to muffle the noise that gets into the cab from the vents in the back wall? I closed mine off for a while with some dynamat sheets, and it really cut the noise down nicely. On the down side, it made it harder to close the doors with the windows up, and it eventually popped the seal in one corner of of the windshield. Water leaks suck!

I was thinking of making some kind of muffler box that connects the two vents together inside the cab. Anybody have any bright ideas?

Try just reducing the size of the openings with the Dynamat, or maybe make it like a baffle-box, where Dynamat covers most of the inside of the vent, except a bit at the top, then do the same on the outside but with the leftover opening at the bottom of the vent.

Like this:

.. _____
..|........|D
..|........|D
D|........|D
D|........|D
D|........|D
D|........|D
D|........|D
D|........|D
D|........|D
D|........|
D|........|
-------

yeah, looks like a$$, but I think you get the idea. This way, most of the sound will get absorbed by the Dynamat inside the vent, and you'll still have venting so you won't pop a window. :tu:

Silver_2000
03-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Try just reducing the size of the openings with the Dynamat, or maybe make it like a baffle-box, where Dynamat covers most of the inside of the vent, except a bit at the top, then do the same on the outside but with the leftover opening at the bottom of the vent.

Like this:

.. _____
..|........|D
..|........|D
D|........|D
D|........|D
D|........|D
D|........|D
D|........|D
D|........|D
D|........|D
D|........|
D|........|
-------

yeah, looks like a$$, but I think you get the idea. This way, most of the sound will get absorbed by the Dynamat inside the vent, and you'll still have venting so you won't pop a window. :tu:

thats a good description of what i tried to suggest the other day...

DOnt forget that if you block off the cab vents and the airbag goes off - what will happen to your ears ??

03LightningRocks
03-14-2005, 07:51 PM
DOnt forget that if you block off the cab vents and the airbag goes off - what will happen to your ears ??

Funny....I don't think I would have thought about that...until after blood started running from my ears:eek: .

Showtime
03-14-2005, 07:57 PM

TXBLU
03-15-2005, 11:20 AM
The radio technique works perfect for me, what with the amps, 10" subs, and Infinity main speakers. The wife however, doesn't like the stereo turned up as much as I do. She wants to be able to talk without shouting. Go figure!

Mark #2
03-15-2005, 01:38 PM

I think that the most noise comes from the exhaust:tongue:

L8 APEX
03-15-2005, 09:07 PM
I think that the most noise comes from the exhaust:tongue:
Seriously going to a solid window is a big differenece, the slider reeks of infiltration!~

TXBLU
03-16-2005, 10:06 AM
I kinda like the idea of a solid rear window for security reasons as well. Would a salvage window bolt right in? I wouldn't need to swap any trim or anything, would I?

Tex Arcana
03-18-2005, 01:04 PM

Seriously going to a solid window is a big differenece, the slider reeks of infiltration!~

Dynamat to the rescue... :d I like having a vent behind my head when I want to use it. But, I agree, it's noisier and a security risk (tho--knock on wood--I have yet to have any sort of break-in).