PDA

View Full Version : Oil consumption issues=detonation???

SILVER2000SVT
03-17-2005, 10:15 PM
I haven't done an oil seperator setup yet on my truck. My truck has consistantly consumed about 1 quart every 800 to 1500 miles since it was new, usually more consumption after a fresh oil change. Can this oil consumption be causing poor performance issues and detonation? This is my theory anyway but I'm looking for ideas.

Went to Kennedale last Thursday, and it finally seems like my Transmission is finally working correctly (knock on wood). Got a good 60' time of 1.75 but my trap speed is down to 81mph (I see most guys running about 87-89mph with similar setups). I made 3 runs and was consistant on all three with those numbers, but on the last run I thought I heard a little detonation, so I didn't run anymore. My tune is really conservative, maxing out at 16 deg of timing. It was fine when I got it and made good numbers at the dyno.

But now, I've been driving my truck everyday lately and I"m thinking the easy highway driving has helped the oil accumulate in the sump of the lower intake and therefore pulls a lot of extra oil into the combustion chamber during the infrequent WOT runs such as at the track.

Am I on to something or do I need to keep looking?

SpeedyBolt
03-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Damn, how did you pull off that 1.75 60ft????

bobbywade69
03-17-2005, 11:12 PM
Stall COnvertor my friend!! I get constant 1.6-1.7 60' every time! Also you must be fast enough also!:tu:

SILVER2000SVT
03-17-2005, 11:25 PM

Like Bobby said, the 2800 stall, and a warm set of Nitto 555R's drag radials. I figure there is more than that with a little more practice on the launch and definitely if I ever were invest in a set of Hoosiers.

SpeedyBolt
03-17-2005, 11:25 PM
Stall COnvertor my friend!! I get constant 1.6-1.7 60' every time! Also you must be fast enough also!:tu:

Hell I have a 2400 stall converter, and I should be fast enough! I need to play with the settings on my traction bars.

Sorry brother, didn't mean to get off topic!

Tex Arcana
04-23-2005, 12:15 AM
Well??? GET BACK ON TOPIC!! Wheres' the info on the problem?? WHERE'S THE BEEF!!

SILVER2000SVT
04-23-2005, 05:43 AM
Well??? GET BACK ON TOPIC!! Wheres' the info on the problem?? WHERE'S THE BEEF!!

The plan is to do the intercooler cleaning this morning. I'll try and get pics, and then see how kennedale treats me on Sunday. I picked up an oil seperator to go back on it when I put it back together to hopefully slow the consumption down a little.

On a side note, I just find it interesting how inconsistant I find the oil consumption to be across the spectrum of everyones trucks. Some are like mine and consume a quart every 800-1200 miles and others don't consume hardly any at all, but it seems to be steady throughout the life of the individual truck. Mine has done this since it was new. Was it Beaudee that said his had the problem off the showroom floor?

WA 2 FST
04-23-2005, 08:27 AM
Oil consumption can _definitely_ cause detonation. You're contaminating the fuel charge into the combustion chamber. This effectively lowers the octane of the fuel used.

I'm not saying this is your problem, just verifying your assumption that it can lead to other problems if oil consumption is an issue.

Tex Arcana
04-23-2005, 10:36 AM
The plan is to do the intercooler cleaning this morning. I'll try and get pics, and then see how kennedale treats me on Sunday. I picked up an oil seperator to go back on it when I put it back together to hopefully slow the consumption down a little.

On a side note, I just find it interesting how inconsistant I find the oil consumption to be across the spectrum of everyones trucks. Some are like mine and consume a quart every 800-1200 miles and others don't consume hardly any at all, but it seems to be steady throughout the life of the individual truck. Mine has done this since it was new. Was it Beaudee that said his had the problem off the showroom floor?

Well take lots of pics, so Ronald can have a coronary over how much oil his Suzy is getting in her intake... :d

SpeedyBolt
04-23-2005, 12:12 PM
My intercooler looked like it was covered in tar when I pulled it the other day!
It took my a case of brake parts cleaner to the that thing clean! I guess it's the first time it has ever been done. I bought the truck used with 47k on it. It now has 58k so it was in need bad!

Tex Arcana
04-23-2005, 12:14 PM
My intercooler looked like it was covered in tar when I pulled it the other day!
It took my a case of brake parts cleaner to the that thing clean! I guess it's the first time it has ever been done. I bought the truck used with 47k on it. It now has 58k so it was in need bad!
Should'a taken pics... maybe getting a nice Safety-Kleen system would be a good idea, if it's THAT bad! :(

SILVER2000SVT
04-23-2005, 03:31 PM
I'll try and post up pics when I get them developed, but mine didn't look nearly as bad as some pics Ive seen but was still pretty bad. I had about a pint of oil and sludge in the sump and every part in there was a deep golden color. I was sparing with the brake cleaner and ended up using 7 cans until the intercooler ran clear.

I made a 80/20 mix of distilled water/antifreeze along with a bottle of water wetter to go back in the system. I ended up flushing the system 3 times with distilled water until I got all the old green out.

I think it made a difference, On the test drive I was still in second about 35mph or so and got on it some. I don't know about everybody elses truck but this is usually pretty sluggish because it's not enough to kick down to first gear so the motor isn't in the power band, and my tires started breaking loose and I've never had it do that before. Who knows...hopefully it's not my imagination, but the track should tell me tomorrow.

Tex Arcana
04-23-2005, 11:43 PM
Yeah, it would... water wetter does wonders. Also, hence why I am thinking of a parts washer basin with Safety Kleen in it, 'cuz that much carb cleaner would cost about as much. :rolleyes:

Another funny thing: I just put my stock airbox back on, and damned if it didn't *feel* stronger than the open filter! GG, butt-dyno... :banana: