PDA

View Full Version : kid committed suicide in my dorm sunday

LonghornLightning
03-22-2005, 04:44 PM
Some kid shot himself sunday afternoon.....haven't found any articles or anything on it. I don't believe that I knew the guy (haven't got the name), but i'd probably recognize him. They said he was studying for the mcats, didn't get into medical school...something related to that. Pretty creepy that it's that easy to get a gun in here.

SpeedyBolt
03-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Yeah, that sh!t sucks! When I was in middle school a kid killed himself plaing russian roulette. Put a super sour vibe on the whole school!

Moonshine
03-22-2005, 09:53 PM
Pretty creepy that it's that easy to get a gun in here.

Dunno' what dorm you're in, but when I was living in a dorm at UT (The Castillian, 2323 San Antonio) I usually had a couple of guns in my room. I wasn't going to leave them in my car, and although it was against dorm policy, I just used the stairs if I needed to transport a long gun.

Guy hung himslf to death on the floor above me. One suicide per year per dorm is probably about average.

tliss
03-22-2005, 10:05 PM
That sucks. College wasn't THAT stressful...at least the part I remember wasn't...

Tom

03LightningRocks
03-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Holy Sh!t!!!!!!!!! I talked to my son yesterday afternoon and again a few hours ago. He didn't say jack about it...he knows how paranoid I get about him and his sister. He probably figures I don't need to know:eek: .

We are looking for a small condo to buy out there. He is fed up with the dorm gig. He has been in a dorm now for the past two years without even taking a break for summers. I get worried about the over achiever thing jerking him around. I am making him take a break this summer...enough is focking enough. I cut off funding for the summer session to force the issue.

I truly feel bad for this young mans family. That is one of the most screwed up reasons to die, I can think of.

Rocks:(

By the way Dru, what dorm are you in? It's cool if you'd rather not say, I am just curious.

03LightningRocks
03-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Dunno' what dorm you're in, but when I was living in a dorm at UT (The Castillian, 2323 San Antonio) I usually had a couple of guns in my room. I wasn't going to leave them in my car, and although it was against dorm policy, I just used the stairs if I needed to transport a long gun.

Guy hung himslf to death on the floor above me. One suicide per year per dorm is probably about average.

My son spent 3 summers in High School at that dorm. That dorm houses the debate camp students every summer from all over the country. It also houses students from several sports oriented camps also.

The place always reminded me of a cheap hotel.

my2002lightning
03-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Dru,

Sorry to hear the news. :( OU Law-School was a b!tch for me! I made the LSAT (the second time after barely missing the mark) and attended for a year and a half - the stress and expectations are unbelievable! Trust me. :o

I can see how a Type-A personality could possibly snap under those circumstances.

Ronald

LonghornLightning
03-23-2005, 02:06 AM
yeah. I live in Dobie (hate it honestly) I've lived here since last year and I can't wait to get my own room next year..(moving to some sweet apts). Castillian, pretty cool place, basically the same thing as what i'm in, so I know you know of Dobie.

There is 3 L's in the garage though ;)

04silverL
03-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Dru,
Did you ever find out who this was? IM am just curious because I have a few of my friends form high school that live in Dobie. Do you know a guy named Stefan, drives a silver 2000? I am sorry to hear about this.
Simon

LonghornLightning
03-23-2005, 09:10 AM
ahh Stefan, I just started talking to him yesterday actually b/c I see his L all the time. No idea on the name, but i'm pretty sure he was some sort of antisocial medical student. A few people I know on his floor only saw him a few times...:shrugs:

04silverL
03-23-2005, 03:35 PM
That sux that school can get to you so much to make you do that. I was asking cause I forgot what major Stefan was. I went to high school with Stefan and his truck was a big reason why I wanted one so bad. If you see him tell him Simon said hey and I will call him next week cause I am spring break and might try and get up there.
Later,
Simon

Moonshine
03-23-2005, 06:44 PM
Castillian, pretty cool place, basically the same thing as what i'm in, so I know you know of Dobie.

Yup, I remember Dobie. It was brand new when I was there, and the rumor was that Dobie was so big it had its' own zip code.

Dorm life was OK for a year, but then I was ready to get out, and move "up" into apartment city out off Riverside (actually on Burton). Then a little rent house off Enfield just a few block from Lake Austin. That was handy, since my roomate had a comp boat. :D

Mark #2
03-23-2005, 09:22 PM
It is a bad deal, we had 2 jumpers at my school after physics finals. I was so out of it after the tests that I walked out in front of a Philly taxi by accident and he barely missed me, but clipped my hand with his mirror. That's when I realized that I would walk away before taking school that seriously. Called my mom and told her that I wasn't sure that I could make it. I did, but with a whole new attitude about stress.

Mark

LonghornLightning
03-23-2005, 11:09 PM
yeah some people are pretty oblivious to the world going on around them, school is great, but these people are taking things wayyy too seriously. I don't stress over anything, so it's kinda sad to watch people struggle and try so hard because of the pressure put on them.