PDA

View Full Version : transmision gremilins

ken cryder
09-03-2002, 10:49 PM
got a problem
was driving around tonite when all of a sudden my transmision would not shift out of fist gear then when it did it banged second and stayed in second gear and wouldn't shift into third. when i shifted to reverse it wouldn't go into reverse untill 2000rpm and then banged into reverse.i talked to a transmsion guy and he said with the electronic trans i should be getting a engine service light or the over drive light should blink neither happened. he said that he beleived the computer went bad. he had me disconnect the battery and step on the brake to clear the computer but it didn't change a thing :hammer: i guess i will not be going to the meeting or running at ffw if i can't get this figured out:flaming: any help will greatly be appretiated.
thanks ken ps my son also burnt up the clutch in his vet today when it rains it pours!

Sixpipes
09-04-2002, 07:47 AM
Sounds like you don't have enough line pressure to make the shifts. That's not a good thing. :cool:

Mark #2
09-04-2002, 08:36 AM
No pressure, low fluid? Have you checked the level?

L8 APEX
09-04-2002, 09:09 AM
I would service the trans to get a looky in the pan for shiney things:D

ken cryder
09-04-2002, 10:00 AM
the fluid level was fine i only have 23800 miles on it but it went out of waranty in july. today i am going to check the codes on the ecu and pull the pan to check for shinny things
ken

Mark #2
09-04-2002, 10:03 AM
Ken,
I'm sure you will, but change the filter. Maybe the filter is clogged or collapsed.

DWSmooth
09-04-2002, 11:02 AM
Ken,

I unfortunately think the tranny is gone. Mine went out on my 01 at 10K, and when it did...it went big.

I was on it hard and it hung briefly in 2nd then when it hit 3rd it almost knocked my head against the back glass. As soon as it shifted into 3rd then it felt like I was in reverse or towing a house. I limped back home in 1-2nd. When Bankston repaired it (great job – I would recommend them) they had to replace everything from the converter to the valve body.

If yours is out of warranty you might want to contact Greg for a monster box.

DAVID!

jcblack
09-04-2002, 11:45 AM
This guy is the best transmission mechanic you can find. he is in granbury, but he can come get vehicles with a trailer. his name is Tony Denton, and the name of the shop is TD's Transmission and Automotive, Inc.. I actually know him personally, he is my girlfriends uncle. He is probably one of the only people left of a dying breed, he is actually a honest mechanic. Call the shop.