PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this....

00Bolt
04-28-2005, 11:21 AM
was just playing around online and found this turbo kit... not looking to buy it, but just curious if the 'idea' of it really works...

watch the demo video

http://www.ststurbo.com/

L1nt2B
04-28-2005, 11:40 AM
I saw that on HP TV on a Ls1 F body Looked like a nice set up and the dyno results were very good...I cant remember the numbers but it was well worth the cost

Tex Arcana
04-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Ive seen some dyno vids, but no driving vids, and not seen much except for LSx crowd crowing over the kits, part of their "LSx > *, STS >*" bragging.

Conceptually, it works, because it oviates the need for an intercooler, and installation becomes dead-simple; and the remote location helps with turbo life.

But I keep wanting to say tehre's something else to this that we're missing, otherwise we'd see them on just about every car ever made (and you konw as well as I do taht manufacturers and racers tested this once upon a time, and decided it wouldn't work for some reason).

I dunno.. and I see no apps for Fords. :rolleyes:

BC Lightning
04-28-2005, 01:05 PM
if I had the money, I'd only do a Lingenfelter turbo system

Wht95Lightning
04-28-2005, 01:25 PM
How much lag is there going to be with that much plumbing between the turbine and the intake?

Tex Arcana
04-28-2005, 01:44 PM
How much lag is there going to be with that much plumbing between the turbine and the intake?

They say none, partially because the intake pipe is always pressurized, and partially because the SBC has so much N/A power that any kind of lag isn't noticed... :rolleyes:

Wht95Lightning
04-28-2005, 01:55 PM
They say none, partially because the intake pipe is always pressurized, and partially because the SBC has so much N/A power that any kind of lag isn't noticed... :rolleyes:

How exactly is it going to always be pressurized? Would that mean there would be boost at idle?

Tex Arcana
04-28-2005, 02:05 PM
How exactly is it going to always be pressurized? Would that mean there would be boost at idle?

Do'nt ask me.. I'm just tellin' ya what THEY say. :rolleyes: Personally, I think it's retarded, and that there's something else involved that we're not seeing, and likely a huge negative. :eek2:

SILVER2000SVT
04-28-2005, 02:52 PM

It could be pressurized to the throttle body, with the TB closed it would function just like any other NA engine. You would just have to recalibrate or adjust the idle air to compensate for the difference in pressure across it. Also you wouldn't have you PCV system connected to the pressurized intake either. But other than that I would think a pressurized intake would function normally.

WA 2 FST
04-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Or in other words... "how to make your V8 muscle car sound like a ricer". :banana:

I'm sure if its set up properly it _could_ work. I'm not going to nitpick the thing to death. But all the videos I watched (the GTO's and the F-body) had the car sounding stupid. Little high-pitched whooshing from the exhaust. Sounds like crap, IMHO.

Maybe there's a way to get around it, but I doubt it since the turbo is located right near the end of the exhaust stream.

I must say that I _do_ like the concept of it, though.

Tex Arcana
04-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Or in other words... "how to make your V8 muscle car sound like a ricer". :banana:

I'm sure if its set up properly it _could_ work. I'm not going to nitpick the thing to death. But all the videos I watched (the GTO's and the F-body) had the car sounding stupid. Little high-pitched whooshing from the exhaust. Sounds like crap, IMHO.

Maybe there's a way to get around it, but I doubt it since the turbo is located right near the end of the exhaust stream.

I must say that I _do_ like the concept of it, though.

It's the ThreeThast, ThreeThurious mentality.. :rll: damned fool kids think the only things that make power sound likesomeone being electrocuted.

And, yes, there *is* a sequel to that stupid movie. :hammer:

I'm not sure about this, tho, Wes... thre's something about it that bothers me, and I can't quite figure out what... but if manufacturers have never done this (and you KNOW they had to have researched it already!), then WHY didn't they?? It had to be something very negative about the system.

Silver_2000
04-28-2005, 04:01 PM
http://autoshow.edmunds.com/media/2004/sema/turbo.system/turbokit.500.jpg

Since you will have a k& n filter mounted UNDER the car or truck that would NOT be a great solution for a daily driver

One rain storm would at least wash the oil off the filter if not hydrolock your engine

Also not sure of the impact of having 15 feet of intake tubing and 15 feet of exhaust tubing

Doug

Tex Arcana
04-28-2005, 04:46 PM
http://autoshow.edmunds.com/media/2004/sema/turbo.system/turbokit.500.jpgSince you will have a k& n filter mounted UNDER the car or truck that would NOT be a great solution for a daily driver

One rain storm would at least wash the oil off the filter if not hydrolock your engine

Also not sure of the impact of having 15 feet of intake tubing and 15 feet of exhaust tubing

Doug

Oh, wouldn't that be teh funneh.. race a tchebbie in the rain, and watch him suck so much water he sprays it out his "ram-air"... :rll:

WA 2 FST
04-28-2005, 07:13 PM
The extra long exhaust tubing _has_ to have an affect, like several of you have mentioned. The only way the intake would be constantly pressurized is if there is no blow-off valve/wastegate on the turbo. I guess if they engineer it properly you wouldn't need a BOV or wastegate on a more simple application. But the pic shows a BOV, so it would all depend on how it was set up and regulated.

Otherwise, you _would_ most definitely have noticeable boost lag. There's no way around this. Boost lag isn't a big deal in a purpose-built drag racing application b/c you're at WOT the entire time. It can make for a peaky powerband, which again isn't a huge deal in a manual trans vehicle at the dragstrip operating in a rather narrow rev range.

Seems like you'd need some sort of shielding for the K&N filter under there, although if you look at a lot of these "cold air" kits for cars...the filters sit pretty low. I know they do on my Vette, but there's no way I'd suck water in unless I drove it through 1+' of water. Not that this car ever sees rain anyway, but I wouldn't worry about it if it did.

cpeapea
04-29-2005, 04:59 AM
from an egineering stand point its a rediculous idea to use a remote turbo system. you want the highest velocity gasses passing through the turbo which would be coming out of the head. also having to pressurize the intake piping WILL cause lag, i dont care what they say, if the piping is pressurized at idle or low rpm then the turbo is too small unless you are using an anti lag kit.

Sandman
04-29-2005, 09:30 AM
I saw that thing at the Dallas Autorama a couple of years back. I had the same thoughts yall are having.

SpeedyBolt
04-29-2005, 10:09 AM
There was a LS-1 Trans Am at Kennedale one time that had the turbo's in the back. That bitch had a s#!t load of lag! He was half way down the track before it took off!